Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Changes to Virgin TV (2020)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Changes to Virgin TV (2020)

Old 24-11-2020, 18:50   #1471
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Re: Changes to Virgin TV (2020)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Suspect that'll be some time off while they 'trial' it on an opt in basis.

@OB certainly I'll let folk know what I think of it. I'll caveat it now though I quite like the V6.
Cheers.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-11-2020, 19:51   #1472
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Suspect that'll be some time off while they 'trial' it on an opt in basis.

@OB certainly I'll let folk know what I think of it. I'll caveat it now though I quite like the V6.
Me, too - my main issues with it are the lack of space for recordings (although this is less of a problem these days, admittedly) and the dated-looking UI.

I like the initial look at the Horizon UI, but not so keen on the downsides I have picked up.

This assessment from the Virgin Media Community Forum may help (courtesy Neil FB):

“At first, I didn't see that it handled recorded programmes very well but I was being led astray by pretty pictures. I could only 'see' 3 or 4 recordings until I pressed OK when the red bar is on Saved. Then you see a list similar to the V6 system.

And that is a key point about the menu system! Pressing OK when an item is highlighted with the red bar opens up deeper menus.

Another tip discovered with the remote is to press keys more or less at random and see what happens, especially the OK key. For example, when you have finished watching a recording, press OK twice to get a menu that allows you to delete it.

When watching a programme, the < and > arrows next to OK will move the recording back and forward. Hold them to move back and forth. Also pressing > once skips forward 30 seconds.

The new system is well integrated with catch-up services with most main providers. You don't seem to need an app (except for BBC iplayer?). You can flip back through the Guide to select a programme. And Watch Lists can be useful if you want to catch something without having recorded it.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5...user-id/619349 had a comment about subtitles. If you set up a profile, you can permanently enable subtitles across all channels for that user.

Radio stations In the new box, radio is downgraded. You cannot record radio or select radio with a channel number. There is a separate menu which does remember your choices. I used to listened to the 'radio' via the box but lately (before I got the new VM box) I have used an LG smart speaker, so not really noticed this change.

I have had some issues with audio syncing. The 360 box does have an adjuster within the settings. But I haven't felt I have got it right just yet. This will be dependent on the 360 and TV audio setup combination so you mileage may vary.

I still don't like the remote (I don't use voice control). Placing the Mute button so far from the volume control doesn't feel right.“
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2020, 19:52   #1473
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
l would say not having the series links are very problematical and then there are no wishlists either which some of us use quite a lot as another problem...

The more l hear about it the more l prefer the V6.
Can't see any reason to change over .So glad I have not been offered it! And I am no fan of the v6 so that says alot
Old 24-11-2020, 19:54   #1474
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
Can't see any reason to change over .So glad I have not been offered it! And I am no fan of the v6 so that says alot
You don’t have to take it if offered it! They are just looking for guinea pigs - oops, sorry, Beta testers- for the time being.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2020, 04:43   #1475
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

VM has cleared out the HD services from TSID 24 and squeezed them in with the existing services on TSID 23.

This is likely to impact picture quality, but the upside is that they will probably use up less space on the HDD.

JJ20X says that the word on the street is that this is expected to continue.

https://www.forumbox.co.uk/forum/thr...ork/?pageNo=89
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2020, 05:40   #1476
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

“The word on the street” well yes that’s not particularly insight. If you can squeeze in more channels and nobody notices then they’ll rationally do it to make more way for broadband.

Incidentally wasn’t it you that said Virgin Media was “full” when they had about 2 HD channels?
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2020, 08:31   #1477
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
VM has cleared out the HD services from TSID 24 and squeezed them in with the existing services on TSID 23.

This is likely to impact picture quality, but the upside is that they will probably use up less space on the HDD.

TSid23 was them continuing. They've done it before, as I later realised and subsequently had to add to my earlier post.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2020, 09:54   #1478
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold

There is not a lot wrong with the current V6 IMO although the user interface is well past its use by date. All4 is not yet available as an app on the 360 but I have stopped using that on the V6 to view the excellent Walter Presents programmes since I bought a large OLED set because of the very poor picture quality (SD only). I am tempted by the 360 upgrade.
heavyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2020, 13:11   #1479
cupcakes aka dd
cf.geek

Services: Almost the lot
cupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud of
Talking Re: Changes to Virgin TV (2020)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post

I don’t want my picture quality impacted. I didn’t research for 6 months then purchase then fiddle with the settings for another 6 months to have the quality degraded.
cupcakes aka dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2020, 13:43   #1480
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakes aka dd View Post
I don’t want my picture quality impacted
I wouldn't worry. We've been making these changes since mid-October, including on some pretty high-profile channels, and I have seen no reports about degraded picture quality.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2020, 15:26   #1481
SonicMaster
cf.geek

SonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat View Post
Not only will you loose all your Series Links etc - the new series link system is currently only working on a per channel basis. It also records repeats if you delete the episode once you've watch it.

There are no wishlists either.

So to record something like live Premier League Football - you have to create a new series link on every channel it records on.
Hmmm, sounds more like a downgrade than an upgrade.

Other than a more modern looking interface, I'm not sure why I would want to move to 360.
SonicMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2020, 18:32   #1482
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
You don’t have to take it if offered it! They are just looking for guinea pigs - oops, sorry, Beta testers- for the time being.
I understand that just glad I didn't have to make that choice. Looking hard at getting SKY out of contract this week.

---------- Post added at 18:32 ---------- Previous post was at 18:28 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicMaster View Post
Hmmm, sounds more like a downgrade than an upgrade.

Other than a more modern looking interface, I'm not sure why I would want to move to 360.
Totally agree . What is the real gain for v6 users given the high lighted downs.
Old 25-11-2020, 18:59   #1483
fox35
cf.addict

Services: V6 x2, Bigger Bundle, Maxit TV & M350, Talk Wkends
fox35 is a jewel in the roughfox35 is a jewel in the roughfox35 is a jewel in the roughfox35 is a jewel in the roughfox35 is a jewel in the rough

Well now that VM are planning on ditching TiVo next year, so to push the Horizon/360, does that clear the way for TiVo to re-enter the UK market with a new stand alone product similar to the US? I would gladly ditch VM TV for one of these...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4it4TeQX7rU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eB7d785IrNM

Last edited by fox35; 25-11-2020 at 19:06.
fox35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2020, 19:34   #1484
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Who said Virgin Media were ditching TiVo next year?

There are still going to be many existing customers with TiVo based boxes installed for years.
Old 25-11-2020, 22:56   #1485
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
I wouldn't worry. We've been making these changes since mid-October, including on some pretty high-profile channels, and I have seen no reports about degraded picture quality.
Without risking getting into any trouble, are you able to confirm that the rumours about further changes like this are in the pipeline? Has there been any technical changes to offset the decrease in capacity for the affected channels?

To be fair, Freeview have been doing this for years, though they have also used more modern and efficient encoders with the passage of time.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote