Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Changes to Virgin TV (2020)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Changes to Virgin TV (2020)

Old 24-11-2020, 16:49   #1456
Frazz
cf.addict

Services: 2 x tivo TV XL with movie and sport 500Mb broadband phone talk anytime Unlimited mobile phone sim
Frazz has a spectacular aura about themFrazz has a spectacular aura about themFrazz has a spectacular aura about themFrazz has a spectacular aura about them
Re: Changes to Virgin TV (2020)

Just had an email from virgin offering an upgrade to TV 360.

Anyone got any views whether it's worthwhile
Frazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-11-2020, 17:09   #1457
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frazz View Post

I've just received a similar email. It looks like the upgrade involves a new remote control sent through the post and both my existing V6 boxes being upgraded over the air to the 360 spec at no extra cost to my current Ultimate Oomph package.

Can anyone confirm this is the case?

Quote:
You’re all set to upgrade to Virgin TV 360 – our fastest, slickest way to watch and stream on all your screens. Get it at no extra cost today to enjoy the telly you love, the way you want to – now with super-powerful Voice Control and personalised Profiles.

It’s super easy to upgrade your Virgin TV V6 box, and you can do it sitting on your sofa, in a matter of minutes. All you need is our genius new remote, which we’ll pop in the post for you.

Here’s what you can look forward to...

Say it, see it
With super-powerful Voice Search and Control, it’s never been easier to find what you fancy and jump straight in. Put your feet up, hit the Mic button on your remote, and binge on.
Your very own profile

Create a TV experience that’s totally yours with personalised Profiles. Sign in to pick up a programme where you left off, jump straight to your favourite channels, and make sure your recommendations aren’t influenced by the rest of the household.

Telly on your terms
Missed the first five minutes of your favourite soap because you forgot to put the kettle on? With Startover – available on most channels – you can go from the top at the touch of a button.
All around the house

If you’ve got any additional V6 boxes, they’ll automatically update too. So you can watch different telly – including live TV, Catch Up, Box Sets, movies and recordings, even in mesmerising Ultra HD – at the same time. Plus, shared pause points make it a doddle to switch rooms without missing a moment.

Sound good? Click here to book your upgrade. So you know, it can take up to 7 working days to process your order. Our team will be in touch as soon as we’re ready to go.

There’s limited availability, but don’t worry it will be available again soon.

Last edited by heavyside; 24-11-2020 at 17:13.
heavyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2020, 17:11   #1458
Frazz
cf.addict

Services: 2 x tivo TV XL with movie and sport 500Mb broadband phone talk anytime Unlimited mobile phone sim
Frazz has a spectacular aura about themFrazz has a spectacular aura about themFrazz has a spectacular aura about themFrazz has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyside View Post
I've just received a similar email. It looks like the upgrade involves a new remote control sent through the post and both my existing V6 boxes being upgraded over the air to the 360 spec at no extra cost to my current Ultimate Oomph package.

Can anyone confirm this is the case?
That's what my understanding of the email was too.
Frazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2020, 17:17   #1459
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Yes. Some customers are now being offered the in-place upgrade of V6 boxes to the 360 platform.

New remotes will be needed but everything else in the setup stays the same.
Old 24-11-2020, 17:19   #1460
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frazz View Post

got the email but when click upgrade get a error page

now managed to get the free upgrade

Last edited by Dave42; 24-11-2020 at 17:27.
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2020, 17:20   #1461
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Before signing up, don’t forget to ask them if the changeover would mean that you lose all your existing recordings and bookmarks. If it does, I’d work out how to re-establish your access to each recording (eg by VOD or one of the streamers), and make a list that you can use when the TiVo software is replaced. Make sure you watch all the stuff you’d lose if you really don’t want to miss it before the new software is installed.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2020, 17:21   #1462
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold

The only downside that I can see is that I will lose my recordings on both V6 boxes. I understand that my settings will be lost too. I'm guessing this is because of the migration to the new graphical interface (Horizon?).

Quote:
Enjoy your recordings before you swap

Unfortunately your recordings and settings won’t be transferred to your new TV when you upgrade. But there’s still time to watch before you swap. Some programmes will be available to watch again on Catch Up or On Demand (depending on which TV pack you have) and you’ll find loads more to get hooked on in no time.

Virgin TV 360 is a new product and you will find some differences from your current TV service

Virgin TV 360 manages recordings differently to TiVo, it does not include Wish Lists or full Series Link + functionality
In addition it is not currently possible to record new series only, this feature will be available early next year
The All4 app is not currently available but all recently broadcast Channel 4 shows are available from the Catch Up menu, and discoverable with Voice Search
heavyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2020, 17:28   #1463
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
The only downside that I can see is that I will lose my recordings on both V6 boxes. I understand that my settings will be lost too. I'm guessing this is because of the migration to the new graphical interface (Horizon?).
Ah, I did wonder that.

Do you know if you can bookmark programmes instead of recording them, as you can on the TiVo system?
Old 24-11-2020, 17:48   #1464
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

Not only will you loose all your Series Links etc - the new series link system is currently only working on a per channel basis. It also records repeats if you delete the episode once you've watch it.

There are no wishlists either.

So to record something like live Premier League Football - you have to create a new series link on every channel it records on.

Quote:
ozsat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2020, 18:01   #1465
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat View Post
Not only will you loose all your Series Links etc - the new series link system is currently only working on a per channel basis. It also records repeats if you delete the episode once you've watch it.

There are no wishlists either.

So to record something like live Premier League Football - you have to create a new series link on every channel it records on.
I don’t really use the wishlists much, to be honest, but the series links are problematical. I would want that sorted out before moving across to Horizon.
Old 24-11-2020, 18:11   #1466
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I don’t really use the wishlists much, to be honest, but the series links are problematical. I would want that sorted out before moving across to Horizon.
l would say not having the series links are very problematical and then there are no wishlists either which some of us use quite a lot as another problem...

The more l hear about it the more l prefer the V6.
Old 24-11-2020, 18:13   #1467
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
l would say not having the series links are very problematical and then there are no wishlists either which some of us use quite a lot as another problem...

Having two accounts at two properties I’m trying it out at the lesser important one.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2020, 18:27   #1468
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post

Series links are available on Horizon - they just don’t work the same way. I would advise waiting until they resolve that problem, which I understand should be done in the New Year.

---------- Post added at 17:27 ---------- Previous post was at 17:26 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Having two accounts at two properties I’m trying it out at the lesser important one.
It would be useful to us all to have your assessment of all the pros and cons as you find them, jfman.
Old 24-11-2020, 19:27   #1469
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

When is it being rolled out to everyone?
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2020, 19:29   #1470
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
When is it being rolled out to everyone?
Suspect that'll be some time off while they 'trial' it on an opt in basis.

@OB certainly I'll let folk know what I think of it. I'll caveat it now though I quite like the V6.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote