Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Router Reset

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Router Reset

Old 20-10-2019, 11:38   #1
beaker17
If it moves, shoot it

Services: Virgin Media Tivo Kahuna Big Bundle, phone and Broadband.
beaker17 is a jewel in the roughbeaker17 is a jewel in the roughbeaker17 is a jewel in the roughbeaker17 is a jewel in the roughbeaker17 is a jewel in the rough
Router Reset

HP 21.5 Inch 4GB 2TB All-in-One Desktop PC - new December 2018.
Intel Core i3 8th generation processor.
Operating System - Windows 10 - 64 bit Version 1903

Whilst one can make a career out of the electronic mysteries of computer wake-up time,
by surfing the web, it is unbelievable that the problem in my case can be solved by flicking a switch.

After wrestling with my poor wake-up times to the point of mental collapse, I obtained
a solution by simply switching off the power to my router for a minute.

It worked ! My Sleep wake-up times are now down to repeatedly about 5 - 8 seconds.
It has even cured a previous long delay to connect with the Internet on screen although the Internet connection was live.

Previously my Sleep wake-up time was averaging nearly 60 seconds, sometimes even longer and when
the Internet connection was made there was a delay in connecting with a site on screen of around 30 seconds. I got
the message "No Internet connection".

I never realised that a router could become sludged-up over time with electronic slag
and needed flushing out with a power cut. Actually the very same thing happens with my
cable TV box, where a power cut cures hiccups. My router had been constantly live for about 10 months.

All has now been working superb since I depowered the router 3 weeks ago.

I switched off at the mains plug-in, but pressing the Reset or power button on the router
should do the same job.

The offender - my router - Superhub 1 ? -

Old 20-10-2019, 14:29   #2
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
Re: Router Reset

That looks like ours: SH1.

Unfortunately it's a fact of modern life that devices with processors in suffer from memory leaks. This is the result of sloppy programming or poor compilers.

Either way the amount of available memory for the programs to run in steadily decreases with time. Eventually the strait jacket strangles the device and the only solution is to reset / reboot.

My media server PC needs a reboot weekly to stop it getting strange.
Old 20-10-2019, 14:43   #3
beaker17
If it moves, shoot it

beaker17 is a jewel in the roughbeaker17 is a jewel in the roughbeaker17 is a jewel in the roughbeaker17 is a jewel in the roughbeaker17 is a jewel in the rough

My Superhub is a few years old now, but working fine.

Do Virgin replace these older hubs free if requested ?

Always keeping in mind - 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it'

Last edited by beaker17; 20-10-2019 at 14:49.
beaker17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2019, 14:10   #4
Martin_D
cf.geek

Services: YouFibre | Lebara Sim x 2| Plex
Martin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaker17 View Post
My Superhub is a few years old now, but working fine.

Always keeping in mind - 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it'
Yes as that hub is getting on a bit now

You can order your replacement at

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/hub...nnect2_hubswap
Martin_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2019, 23:09   #5
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
yeah, they don't want you using those anymore and will happily swap it over to a shub3 for you

Quote:
'If it ain't broke, don't fix it'
unfortunately in VM's case it is a case of "it is always broken so use something else". If the shub was a proper router you wouldn't have had that problem so whilst you can order a replacement shub for free, you can remedy that fault along with many potential others which VM don't care about by investing in your own fit for purpose router.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2019, 09:41   #6
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

@General do you know if they send out a new power supply with the SH3?

The one on our SH1 blew up a few days ago and I'm currently running the hub on a universal unit set to 12v.

Might be the time to just replace the hub1 especially if VM are keen to get them off the network.
Old 23-10-2019, 09:58   #7
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
@General do you know if they send out a new power supply with the SH3?
Ya
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2019, 11:04   #8
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

They have to send out a new power supply, they don't all use the same one (Even if the bar fits, they're usually rated differently). Much fun was had back in the DIR-615/Ambit 300 days when they used different voltages but the same sized connector. Lots of blown routers!
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2019, 10:19   #9
beaker17
If it moves, shoot it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_D View Post
Yes as that hub is getting on a bit now

You can order your replacement at

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/hub...nnect2_hubswap
Martin - Page not available - got this message -

"Oh, crikey. We can’t find that page"
Old 29-10-2019, 10:34   #10
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

It's working for me right now. Try again.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2019, 10:54   #11
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Your SH1 has detected what the page is for and is protecting itself.
Old 29-10-2019, 11:05   #12
Martin_D
cf.geek

Services: YouFibre | Lebara Sim x 2| Plex
Martin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
Your SH1 has detected what the page is for and is protecting itself.
LoL

Does this work https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/hub-swap
Martin_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2019, 11:10   #13
beaker17
If it moves, shoot it

I would love to have the latest router SH3, but changing my router will disconnect my printer from WiFi.

Not being sure how to re-connect the PC/printer to the new router, whilst it is all working perfectly at present, I feel it is best left alone.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it "
Old 29-10-2019, 11:13   #14
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I would love to have the latest router SH3, but changing my router will disconnect my printer from WiFi.

Not being sure how to re-connect the PC/printer to the new router, whilst it is all working perfectly at present, I feel it is best left alone.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it "
Just give the HH3 the same SSID and password as your SH1. All wireless devices will connect seamlessly.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2019, 12:11   #15
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Just give the HH3 the same SSID and password as your SH1. All wireless devices will connect seamlessly.
Really? That didn't work when I swapped my (non-VM) router.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote