Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Hijack customers browser search options

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Hijack customers browser search options

Old 14-08-2009, 15:55   #46
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Re: Virgin Media Hijack customers browser search options

This is the usual lets make a mountain out of a mole hill, Whats up nothing better to do today kids

Just done it on purpose and opted out, There that's not hard is it

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-08-2009, 15:56   #47
Dephormation
Inactive

Services: Aquiss.net and loving it. No more Virgin Media, no more Virgin Phone, no more Virgin Mobile.
Dephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiefrost View Post
Do google and Microsoft etc automatically acvtivate this search functionality, beacuse I don't remember telling the google toolbar to automatically give me a response including a search option.

For Virgin to be wrong so are Google, Microsoft etc until you explicitly ask for the functionality to be turn on. Whcih for most people will not happen.

My resonse seeing the google search appear the first time was 'that's a good idea, don't to manually search for the web address'

Is it really that bad to have 1 DNS response redirected.

JJ
If you installed the Google toolbar, I'd guess that's because you chose to download and install it? And the reason you kept it was because you though 'that's a good idea'.

If you have a Microsoft OS, presumably that's because you bought a machine that had Microsoft OS installed? You had other choices.

I don't think many Virgin customers were aware (until today) that their DNS requests were going to be hijacked. It certainly didn't get much publicity. If you're still with Virgin tomorrow, I suppose you might argue those people had made a decision to stay with Virgin despite this change to their terms of service.

Is it really that bad? For me, yes. It demonstrates that Virgin are a lousy choice of ISP (but then, I've already 'opted out', or should I say 'opted in' to a decent provider who doesn't do things like that).

(<<< see).

For you, perhaps you see it differently.
Dephormation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2009, 15:59   #48
Traduk
Inactive

Traduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Or alternatively they don't upgrade anyone and both the 2Mb and 10Mb tariffs would have gone up by £2.

Still don't see the lack of integrity, they have provide some functionality that will be of help to a lot of users. With an easy way to not use it.

JJ
They obviously wanted XXX100,000's more 2 quids a month and judged that resistance would be mitigated by a speed increase. Bean counters probably assessed that churn could a devastating development if one part happened without the other as ADSL providers can easily under-cut a 2Meg supply on price.

Integrity in my book is being transparently upfront and honest in a manner that is designed to pro actively inform. They have my e-mail and contact me when they have something to sell but leave me and millions of others to find out by my own actions what they would rather I didn't question.

It should be OPT-IN and all users informed of this wonderful new helpful add-on via e-mail and then allowed to die on the vine as it most likely would.
Traduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2009, 16:00   #49
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephormation View Post
If you installed the Google toolbar, I'd guess that's because you chose to download and install it? And the reason you kept it was because you though 'that's a good idea'.

If you have a Microsoft OS, presumably that's because you bought a machine that had Microsoft OS installed? You had other choices.

I don't think many Virgin customers were aware (until today) that their DNS requests were going to be hijacked. It certainly didn't get much publicity. If you're still with Virgin tomorrow, I suppose you might argue those people had made a decision to stay with Virgin despite this change to their terms of service.

Is it really that bad? For me, yes. It demonstrates that Virgin are a lousy choice of ISP (but then, I've already 'opted out', or should I say 'opted in' to a decent provider who doesn't do things like that).

(<<< see).

For you, perhaps you see it differently.
Then if you are not a customer why make such a big fuss about it, Again nothing better to do today ????

Old 14-08-2009, 16:02   #50
jamiefrost
cf.geek

Services: V+, XL TV and Phone XXL BB
jamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpack

But I never asked google or microsoft to mess around with my DNS response either so whats the difference? The goggle toolbar provides a search button on the response page I didn't explicitly ask them to do that, just a usefull by product of installing the toolbar. If I didn't want I could remove it(opt out).

Just the same as Virgin, see it the first time then opt out.

Yes I did chose to install the toolbar just the same as I chose Virgin Media to supply my BB and DNS queries.

JJ
jamiefrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2009, 16:09   #51
Dephormation
Inactive

Services: Aquiss.net and loving it. No more Virgin Media, no more Virgin Phone, no more Virgin Mobile.
Dephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Then if you are not a customer why make such a big fuss about it
I've got every sympathy with people who were surprised by this change in their existing service. The reason for commenting is Virgins attempt to misrepresent this money making DNS hijack as a feature.

For people who understand it for what it is, and still choose to use Virgin, I'm not all concerned. Good luck.
Old 14-08-2009, 16:10   #52
jamiefrost
cf.geek

Services: V+, XL TV and Phone XXL BB
jamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traduk View Post
It should be OPT-IN and all users informed of this wonderful new helpful add-on via e-mail and then allowed to die on the vine as it most likely would.

Does this then hold true for all areas for example should virgin have left customers on 512kb internet connections until they they ask for a free upgrade. Personally I'd rather get the free upgrade without having to ask for it.

Most users getting an email about search options in a DNS query response wouldn't have a clue about what Virgin were talking about.

For the majority of users couldn't care less, for those who do notice either they aren't bother or they opt out.

JJ
jamiefrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2009, 16:11   #53
webcrawler2050
Inactive

Services: TiVo 110MB BB Phone Line
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to webcrawler2050

Quote:
Does this then hold true for all areas for example should virgin have left customers on 512kb internet connections until they they ask for a free upgrade. Personally I'd rather get the free upgrade without having to ask for it.

Most users getting an email about search options in a DNS query response wouldn't have a clue about what Virgin were talking about.

For the majority of users couldn't care less, for those who do notice either they aren't bother or they opt out.

JJ
Seriously, who cares?
webcrawler2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2009, 16:12   #54
Ben B
Inactive

Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array
Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by webcrawler2050 View Post
Seriously, who cares?
The OP should add a poll to see who does
Ben B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2009, 16:14   #55
Dephormation
Inactive

Quote:
But I never asked google or microsoft to mess around with my DNS response either so whats the difference? The goggle toolbar provides a search button on the response page I didn't explicitly ask them to do that, just a usefull by product of installing the toolbar. If I didn't want I could remove it(opt out).

Just the same as Virgin, see it the first time then opt out.

Yes I did chose to install the toolbar just the same as I chose Virgin Media to supply my BB and DNS queries.

JJ
Key point: Google and Microsoft are not doing anything to your DNS response. DNS hijack affects the way every application on your machine interacts with DNS.

From tomorrow, if you're still with Virgin... good luck to you. I guess there is an argument for saying you have made an informed choice (despite a change in the terms of service) to continue.

But others who don't should have the facility to cancel their contract (given the apparent change to the contract that now requires you to opt out of DNS hijacking).
Old 14-08-2009, 16:15   #56
webcrawler2050
Inactive

webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben B View Post
The OP should add a poll to see who does
Yep - he will probably get more a "response"

---------- Post added at 16:15 ---------- Previous post was at 16:14 ----------

Quote:
From tomorrow, if you're still with Virgin... good luck to you. I guess there is an argument for saying you have made an informed choice (despite a change in the terms of service) to continue.
ACTUALLY: it doesn't interfear with your DNS - Plonker..

It simply, directs you to a "VM" Branded" page, when you get a 404 - it's very simple to edit....
Old 14-08-2009, 16:16   #57
Ben B
Inactive

Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array
Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array

It's not DNS hijacking, it's "Oops, the DNS server can't find the website you typed, here's a search page to help you " there aint anything malicious about it.
Ben B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2009, 16:17   #58
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephormation View Post

I will be. Wait no i better phone up and cancel my broadband so i can jump on a crappy slow adsl connection, There now don't i feel better

Old 14-08-2009, 16:18   #59
webcrawler2050
Inactive

It's simply a 404....
Old 14-08-2009, 16:19   #60
Sir John Luke
Inactive

Sir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben B View Post
It's not DNS hijacking, it's "Oops, the DNS server can't find the website you typed, here's a search page to help you " there aint anything malicious about it.
Since you may have missed it the first time

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNS_hijacking
Sir John Luke is offline   Reply With Quote