Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Black Lives Matter

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Black Lives Matter

Old 09-06-2020, 11:14   #181
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Black Lives Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
And to some people, white lives don't matter. Not sure either relates to anyone on here though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blessed.jpg (65.5 KB, 70 views)
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-06-2020, 11:33   #182
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
<SNIP>

While it's good to celebrate diversity it seems that some minority groups want to impose their culture on the majority. This does have some justification if the majority have tried to quash the minority in order to preserve the minority culture but any attempt to impose by force (physical or otherwise) just creates climates of hostility.

<SNIP>
I'd like to home in on the highlighted bit.

"Black" citizens as per the BLM cause do not want to impose their culture on the majority. They just don't want to be victimised by the majority.

But there is at least one other minority group, rapidly growing in size, that doesn't do multi-culture and, through its enforcers, would ultimately be intolerant of dissenters.

What I have pointed out gets swept under the carpet and whilst I have no doubt that the BLM movement's requirements are capable of being met without detriment to the British culture (such as it is), intolerant minority groups of growing size are a real threat for our culture.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 11:36   #183
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

I’m trying really hard (and failing) to think of any examples of black culture being forced on me ...
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 11:41   #184
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Minority culture can only work it's way into the mainstream culture if it's popular enough to do so. It can't force a way through.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 11:51   #185
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I’m trying really hard (and failing) to think of any examples of black culture being forced on me ...
I hope you've understood me correctly.

I said:

Quote:
"Black" citizens as per the BLM cause do not want to impose their culture on the majority. They just don't want to be victimised by the majority.

---------- Post added at 11:51 ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Minority culture can only work it's way into the mainstream culture if it's popular enough to do so. It can't force a way through.
Except through higher birth rate.

Old 09-06-2020, 11:58   #186
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Never said blacks imposing culture or was an aim of BLM it is true that it can happen and movements like BLM or it's aims can be hijacked for those purposes.

We do need to address the issues of racism in our institutions (can't do much on a personal level). And we do need to make sure that all people can take advantage of all opportunities. We Brits are pretty good at taking onboard other cultures but could still be better.
Old 09-06-2020, 12:11   #187
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Filmed during the BLM protest in London. Someone didn't realise that the symbol they were spraying onto buses, t shirts and bags is a white supremacist logo.

*Unable to attach the video as this site only allows tiny 1Mb WMV files*
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-00001.jpg (89.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-00002.jpg (85.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-00004.jpg (68.5 KB, 19 views)
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 13:10   #188
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Apart from Snoop Doggy Dog, me too!
Old 09-06-2020, 13:35   #189
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
Never said blacks imposing culture or was an aim of BLM it is true that it can happen and movements like BLM or it's aims can be hijacked for those purposes.

We do need to address the issues of racism in our institutions (can't do much on a personal level). And we do need to make sure that all people can take advantage of all opportunities. We Brits are pretty good at taking onboard other cultures but could still be better.
I'm profoundly disturbed at the goings on.

The UK is nowhere near the same state of discrimination (and its consequences) as the USA. Yet the "knee on neck" event has morphed into a sort of violent "me too".

You talk about not taking over our culture. But our culture is evolution from our history, including the stages when we engaged in the slave trade. But the essence of our culture is attacked when Churchill is daubed as a racist; where the poxy lefty students no platform people because they aren't poxy lefties. Remember we abolished slavery long before the USA so the cases are nowhere near the same. Yet out on the streets they promptly came to breach the peace.

The assault on our culture has to be as attacked as the further evolution away from any injustices that remain which will be a slow process as there is no quick fix.

Old 09-06-2020, 13:55   #190
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Apart from Snoop Doggy Dog, me too!
The only culture I have ever had imposed upon me was Ed Sheeran.

Every radio station there he is.
Walking around shopping he is playing on the store sound system.
Open Apple Music or Spotify, they want you to listen to Ed Sheeran.
Watch Game of Thrones? There is Ed Sheeran.
Walk downstairs, he is sitting in your living room.

He is everywhere. It's awful. I just want it to stop.

---------- Post added at 13:55 ---------- Previous post was at 13:48 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
You talk about not taking over our culture. But our culture is evolution from our history, including the stages when we engaged in the slave trade. But the essence of our culture is attacked when Churchill is daubed as a racist; where the poxy lefty students no platform people because they aren't poxy lefties. Remember we abolished slavery long before the USA so the cases are nowhere near the same. Yet out on the streets they promptly came to breach the peace.

The assault on our culture has to be as attacked as the further evolution away from any injustices that remain which will be a slow process as there is no quick fix.
I would say overzealous 'lefties' at universities is a long-standing part of the culture too. These people are a minority though. Even at Universities, the more radical ones are in a minority.

I don't think you'll find many students who would approve of vandalising the Chruchill statue either. That's the more radical element making themselves known along with a few fellow travellers who get a bit intoxicated by the energy of the protest. The concept of Churchill being a racist will get wider acceptance but not attacking the statue.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 14:14   #191
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
<SNIP>

I would say overzealous 'lefties' at universities is a long-standing part of the culture too. These people are a minority though. Even at Universities, the more radical ones are in a minority.

I don't think you'll find many students who would approve of vandalising the Chruchill statue either. That's the more radical element making themselves known along with a few fellow travellers who get a bit intoxicated by the energy of the protest. The concept of Churchill being a racist will get wider acceptance but not attacking the statue.
The problem with what you've said is that this is the thin edge of the wedge.

No platforming is a very dangerous affront because it prevents impressionable students from hearing other views that what the lefty hierarchy want them to hear. Such zealots often make the top of the Students Union tree or other levers of student power.

The scale of damage done by demonstrators trying to eradicate our history goes beyond the scale of the problem.

We have spent decades bending over backwards for the minorities and it's always the ethnic Brits who are the baddies, the institutionalist racists. The assault on our culture is real.

Old 09-06-2020, 14:44   #192
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
The problem with what you've said is that this is the thin edge of the wedge.

No platforming is a very dangerous affront because it prevents impressionable students from hearing other views that what the lefty hierarchy want them to hear. Such zealots often make the top of the Students Union tree or other levers of student power.

The scale of damage done by demonstrators trying to eradicate our history goes beyond the scale of the problem.

We have spent decades bending over backwards for the minorities and it's always the ethnic Brits who are the baddies, the institutionalist racists. The assault on our culture is real.

They don't want to eradicate our history, they would just like a less whitewashed version of it...

Our culture has always been about adapting and including - cultures grow, because if they get static, they decay; you know, cultural institutions like tea (from India), curries (mostly from Bangladesh), Punch and Judy (Italian), the Women's Institute (Canada), the C of E (breakaway from the RC church), our Royalty (Sax-Coburg-Gotha), the English Language (Latin and Germanic roots), etc., etc.

Every culture is an amalgam of the cultures around it combined with their own particular cultural experience and history
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 09-06-2020 at 14:51.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 14:48   #193
downquark1
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FFTC
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
They don't want to eradicate our history, they would just like a less whitewashed version of it...
Can you offer specifics?
Old 09-06-2020, 14:55   #194
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by downquark1 View Post
Can you offer specifics?
I'm not even sure he's allowed to use the word 'whitewashed'?

anyway, history is history, if you start taking the bits out that you don't like, it becomes a fairy tale
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 14:58   #195
downquark1
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FFTC
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal

Everyone whitewashing their history, the Romanians have a must higher opinion of Vlad the impaler than they do of Winston Churchill.

That doesn't make it OK, but never give anyone a blank cheque to rewrite your history.