Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Hitron in Modem mode

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Hitron in Modem mode

Old 04-08-2020, 13:35   #1
davea66
cf.member

davea66 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hitron in Modem mode

Hi

I have just tried setting the Hitron at a customer's premises to modem mode to connect a Draytek in behind.

The connection between the Draytek and the Hitron is fine but it seems the hitron cannot get any internet access.

The 2 top lights are blue and the @ light is white (green?)

I am doing this to try to fix chronic VoIP issues on their hosted service

The hitron seemed to go into Modem mode OK and I can access it on 192.168.100.1 and the Draytek WAN get a dynamic IP etc. from it so not sure what the issue could be. I have set it back to router mode for the time being

Any ideas?

Thanks!
davea66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-08-2020, 13:48   #2
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era
Re: Hitron in Modem mode

Could it be that the Draytek is installing a default route correctly? I wonder if you manually configure a static default route on it that might help you?
ccarmock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 15:34   #3
davea66
cf.member

davea66 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, thanks for the reply

I think the route was OK, I could not even ping via the Hitron diagnostic page

(pinging 8.8.8.8 to negate any DNS error)
davea66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 17:47   #4
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era

Ah interesting... ok so I fully grasp the setup & test.... I assume the clinet device you pinged from was connected to the Draytek, which via it's WAN port is connected to the Hitron which is in modem mode.

And in that config you can't ping 192.168.100.1 from behind the Draytek and can't ping 8.8.8.8 either?

My Hirton uses static Ip addresses so I can't put it into Modem mode - when you do have you tried connecting the draytek to each of the 4 ports on the Hitron? I am wondering if only one is active in modem mode.

When in modem mode you coudl try connectinga PC to the hitron to make sure it can access the internet. of course no firewall is active onthe Hitron in the mode - so beware :-)
ccarmock is offline   Reply With Quote