Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | VM Business service over last few days

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

VM Business service over last few days

Old 29-07-2020, 06:45   #1
fizzyade
cf.addict

fizzyade has a spectacular aura about themfizzyade has a spectacular aura about themfizzyade has a spectacular aura about themfizzyade has a spectacular aura about them
VM Business service over last few days

Anybody else had a terrible service over the past few days? (I’m connected to new Malden). I’m on the business service with static IP’s.

I’ve had a few periods of big outages and a service that has been very intermittent.

I’ve rebooted the modem and my opnsense machine multiple times and it doesn’t seem to have made any changes.

Another weird thing that happened after an outage last night, was that hops in a trace route barring opnsense and the modem are all timing out, I noticed this because I’m currently writing an open source ping plotter type application and I noticed it first there.

I’ve tried running the trace route on the firewall and in the Hitron GUI itself and both exhibit the same behaviour.

I’m not the only one I’ve seen get hit with these outages when I look on Twitter, and when it goes down I see fing tweeting saying they have detected a network outage (I guess other uses with fingboxes are providing this info).

I’ve also seen outages where the modem itself is reporting everything is ok and the GRE tunnel is up, but there appears to be no routing from the modem outward.
fizzyade is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-07-2020, 17:29   #2
fizzyade
cf.addict

fizzyade has a spectacular aura about themfizzyade has a spectacular aura about themfizzyade has a spectacular aura about themfizzyade has a spectacular aura about them
Re: VM Business service over last few days

Surely I can't be the only person seeing this? Just did another trace route, no hops are responding.

From the Hitron itself:

From my ping analyser:

Old 30-07-2020, 01:04   #3
fizzyade
cf.addict

Running a traceroute from a BT connection to the Hitron shows the last hop that responds to the ICMP probe as being:

brnt-core-2a-ae12-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.254.84.22]

After that, all ICMP responses (apart from the final echo response) just disappear.

This happened straight after the outage in the early hours of yesterday (Tuesday) morning, prior to this ICMP was working correctly as I have been working on the software above without any problems, now no matter where I run a route to only my internal gateway, the Hitron and the target hop result in a response.
Old 30-07-2020, 20:14   #4
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era

I am on the VM Business service, with 5 static IP addresses, also fed from New Malden. No issues experienced here....
ccarmock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 22:50   #5
fizzyade
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarmock View Post
I am on the VM Business service, with 5 static IP addresses, also fed from New Malden. No issues experienced here....
And if you traceroute to 1.1.1.1, do you see ICMP responses from the intermediate hops?

This is the issue I'm having at the moment, to me to looks like the VM network is dropping certain ICMP packets, specifically type 11 seems to have gone AWOL.

Below is the result of a trace to 1.1.1.1 from my machine *but using a VPN*, here I'm seeing the TTL exceeded responses, switch off the VPN and the TTL exceeded responses disappear (yes, I know it's a different route, but I can't get any TTL exceeded responses via virgin to any destination I've tried).

Initially I thought something had gone wrong with my gateway or something on my network, but using the diagnostic tool on the Hitron and running a traceroute there has exactly the same issue.

Old 30-07-2020, 23:43   #6
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Still getting to the destination OK though.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 23:49   #7
fizzyade
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Still getting to the destination OK though.
Yes, but TTL exceeded messages seem to be being dropped.

This is specifically an issue for me because I'm developing software that is built around these packets .

It seems a really strange thing to drop, if other people can confirm the same behaviour.