Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Requesting Help on Cable Forum

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service

virgin Media-NTL Group rip off customers

Old 12-02-2007, 00:03   #1
m419
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband,BT Anytime calls,Sky entertainment extra HD,Vodafone pay monthly
m419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quads
virgin Media-NTL Group rip off customers

For the past 6 years, NTL and Telewest have been ripping off customers by charging customers up to 25p per minute to call mobiles when the companies only have to pay as little 2p per minute.

Thanks to a member of Cable Forum I finally cracked it as to why call quality is so crap when calling mobiles during peak times and all the time when calling Hutchison 3G mobiles.

NTL and Telewest have been using sim boxes to route calls through to mobiles. You'll know if a call is being routed through such systems as the call quality is very bad and sometimes calling line identification does not show up or it might be displayed as international. Sim boxes is where calls are being routed on the same network so that you avoid paying termination rates.

When calling mobiles from a Telewest line, I have experienced error messages by mobile operators. One was the T-Mobile pay as you go recording saying ''There are insufficient funds available in your account to connect this call'' and another saying ''This call cannot be completed as your account balance is too low,to top up purchase a 3 voucher and dial 444'' and once I was calling someone who was using 3 and a message saying ''Calls have been suspended on this mobile phone and your now being diverted to O2 customer service''.

I'm getting fed up of these messages and the crap call quality, when is it going to stop!

Rarely, I have been connected to someone elses mobile on a totally different network and just once got caught in a cross-line.

Anyone else experienced such problems? If so I think everyone reading this who is experiencing this problem should make Ofcom aware as I believe its illegal in the UK to use sim boxes for commercial use.

More information about sim boxes:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/12/mobile_sim_box/
m419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-02-2007, 00:07   #2
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Re: virgin Media-NTL Group rip off customers

Well I only ever call mobiles from my mobile as I get so many free calls a month
Old 12-02-2007, 00:08   #3
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

That's a very bold statement to make - if true, what they are doing is illegal.

I haven't had any problems connecting to mobiles.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 00:10   #4
Zee
Inactive

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, BT Talk Unlimited, Three PAYG, Giffgaff PAYG, Sky TV Entertainment Package
Zee has reached the bronze age
Zee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze age

I never use landline to call mobiles, i always use my mobile since i get 800 minutes a month...

... if you believe strongly that they are doing this you should make acomplaint.

Just so you know Telewest & NTL had nothing to do with eachother 6 years ago
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 00:15   #5
m419
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband,BT Anytime calls,Sky entertainment extra HD,Vodafone pay monthly
m419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quads

Calling mobiles during morning weekdays on all networks is generally bad, but its all the time to 3 mobiles. Often, mobile networks are blamed for it but according to that above link its because of sim boxes and extra equipment.

---------- Post added at 23:15 ---------- Previous post was at 23:11 ----------

Oh I know they had nothing to do with each other back then, well they did in one or two franchises which were Cable London(The i'm in) and Birmingham cable, they were joint ventures after comcast sold them to NTL, Telewest owned 50% of each until they purchased the other 50%.

But both cable companies did work together and share ideas and they also worked with Cable and Wireless.

But now I know why they are the only company apart from Cable and Wireless to offer Talk anywhere.
Old 12-02-2007, 00:19   #6
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

When you say its mostly when calling the 3 network. I always have bad connections to 3 as well, not matter where I call from, its just that their singal is poor, and their network is poop.
Old 12-02-2007, 00:33   #7
m419
Inactive

When you dial the number the ringtone is also bad. But when you call 3 mobiles with a ported number (eg-3 mobiles with a ported T-Mobile number such as 07956-xxx-xxx) it works fine outside the peak time zone.

Never ever had trouble calling 3 or anyother network mobiles on other fixed line or mobile networks.

They use sim boxes to route through calls to 3 because 3 is the most expensive for termination rates, but 'we' the customer still pay nearly 30p per min during weekdays to call 3 mobiles whilst Virgin media only have to pay round 5p per min.
Old 12-02-2007, 00:38   #8
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by m419 View Post
When you dial the number the ringtone is also bad. But when you call 3 mobiles with a ported number (eg-3 mobiles with a ported T-Mobile number such as 07956-xxx-xxx) it works fine outside the peak time zone.
So, maybe Telewest's interconnects with 3 are just bad and/or overloaded? As I understand the Number Porting system, if you call a T mobile number that has been ported, it will be routed through T mobile's network, which then routes it to the network it has been ported to. Thus, you would be using Telewest's connection to T mobile rather than 3.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 00:42   #9
m419
Inactive

So why do you get error messages telling you to top up? And remember, its to all networks usually peak times when termination rates are most expensive.

The sim boxes which they use must contain pay as you go sim cards, no wonder with all those free sim promotions lately lol

So calling an Orange phone will route through one of hundreds of Orange pay as you go sim cards which the sim boxes contain. So therefore, if virgin media have not recredited one of the sims explains why the calls keep reaching those error messages telling you to top up and i've also heard that static noise too, as i've dialled the number, you hear that static noise and then it has a really bad ringtone and poor sound quality.
Old 12-02-2007, 00:50   #10
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

m419, you stated you heard this from a CF member - is he/she/it an NTL/Telewest/VM employee, and willing to back up these accusations?

The only reason I ask is that you are accusing NTL/Telewest/VM of fraud
Quote:
NTL and Telewest have been using sim boxes to route calls through to mobiles
which, if untrue, is libellous - so it might be useful if you could back up your accusations.
Old 12-02-2007, 00:51   #11
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
So why do you get error messages telling you to top up? And remember, its to all networks usually peak times when termination rates are most expensive.

The sim boxes which they use must contain pay as you go sim cards, no wonder with all those free sim promotions lately lol

So calling an Orange phone will route through one of hundreds of Orange pay as you go sim cards which the sim boxes contain. So therefore, if virgin media have not recredited one of the sims explains why the calls keep reaching those error messages telling you to top up and i've also heard that static noise too, as i've dialled the number, you hear that static noise and then it has a really bad ringtone and poor sound quality.

Three things: First you appear to be accusing Virgin of doing something illegal, so do you have proof?

Second, I doubt that any company doing this would be stupid enough to use Pay as you go sims. Is it not possible you are getting the messages because of another fault?

Third, that basis for that article is from a company that is trying to sell detection hardware. Hardly likely to be impartial, is it?
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 00:52   #12
m419
Inactive

So if I submit a complaint in writing, can you please give me the address then as they've probably changed prior to the recent changes.

Yeah well, they should sort this problem out because i've reported before and nothings been done.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:02   #13
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
So if I submit a complaint in writing, can you please give me the address then as they've probably changed prior to the recent changes.

Yeah well, they should sort this problem out because i've reported before and nothings been done.
If you feel so strongly about this, and have evidence, you should contact Ofcom.
http://www.ofcom.org.uk/complain/
Old 12-02-2007, 10:48   #14
m419
Inactive

I consulted Ofcom and apparently its not illegal for the NTL Group to do this. They said only BT is restricted to do this because of its pre-dominant position. This excludes BT softphone,BT Mobile and voip.

I called someone this morning, and after they put the phone down, I heard those 3 bleeps which nokia phones play when the call is terminated. So how can you explain this.

Ok, so its not illegal if they are using sim boxes, but if they are shouldn't they reduce call rates, it would be better if they did because they'd get more custom.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:06   #15
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
I consulted Ofcom and apparently its not illegal for the NTL Group to do this. They said only BT is restricted to do this because of its pre-dominant position. This excludes BT softphone,BT Mobile and voip.

I called someone this morning, and after they put the phone down, I heard those 3 bleeps which nokia phones play when the call is terminated. So how can you explain this.

Ok, so its not illegal if they are using sim boxes, but if they are shouldn't they reduce call rates, it would be better if they did because they'd get more custom.
Did you consult Ofcom this morning, because at 23.03 last night you stated
Quote:
If so I think everyone reading this who is experiencing this problem should make Ofcom aware as I believe its illegal in the UK to use sim boxes for commercial use.
erm, I have had nokia phones since the early 90's, and I have never heard "three beeps", except when my battery was empty (it's in the 6120 manual). This might help allay your fears re "three beeps"
3beeps
"3. Occasionally when I dial a number, I hear three beeps and the call disconnects. Why?
A. If you hear three "even" beeps, the network is busy due to high call volume. If you hear three escalating beeps, that usually means the mobile phone is not getting a signal. At least two bars of signal strength should show on your screen to successfully make or receive a call. "

Don't take this the wrong way, m419, but it appears you are shaping the evidence to back up your theory, then changing your accusations when other evidence is submitted.

How would NTL/Telewest top-up all these payg sims? Send one of the CS staff with a list of numbers and a cashcard to the local ATM?