Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2020, 10:39   #7876
Tricky Trevor
cf.geek

Services: Gig1,Ultimate Volt,Virgin 360x2, O2 mobile
Tricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of Quads
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

The average cost of a movie ticket rose to $9.26 in the second quarter of 2019, up from $9.01 during the first three months of the year, according to the National Association of Theatre Owners (NATO).Jul 18, 2019

---------- Post added at 09:39 ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 ----------

So they will make around $20 profit for each screening unless they are taking into account what an average family would pay at the cinema rather than an individual.

Either way, they will make a killing
Old 05-08-2020, 11:41   #7877
Phunkenstein
cf.addict

Phunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the rough

https://www.theverge.com/2020/8/4/21...lus-abc-fx-fox

Disney are also launching a new service under the ‘Star’ brand - which may by integrated into Disney Plus - and will be comprised of other content owned under the Disney umbrella and it’s various brands. And it’s likely this is what will be scaled internationally instead of Hulu.
Old 05-08-2020, 12:20   #7878
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky Trevor View Post
The average cost of a movie ticket rose to $9.26 in the second quarter of 2019, up from $9.01 during the first three months of the year, according to the National Association of Theatre Owners (NATO).Jul 18, 2019

---------- Post added at 09:39 ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 ----------

So they will make around $20 profit for each screening unless they are taking into account what an average family would pay at the cinema rather than an individual.

Either way, they will make a killing
Or not - not sure many are going to pay that much in the current financial climate in US.

I suspect they will expect UK viewers to pay £29.99 to view it.

This is obviously the commercial face of streaming - I would imagine subscribers to Disney+ expected to get all content for their sub, not to pay extra on top.
Old 05-08-2020, 13:39   #7879
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Or not - not sure many are going to pay that much in the current financial climate in US.

I suspect they will expect UK viewers to pay £29.99 to view it.

This is obviously the commercial face of streaming - I would imagine subscribers to Disney+ expected to get all content for their sub, not to pay extra on top.
As a Disney+ subscriber I don’t expect to have access to made-for-cinema content on the same day it goes on general release, no. If they want to experiment with running a box office service through Disney+ I’m fine with that as long as they don’t muddle up the interface. One of Netflix’s principal advantages over Prime Video is that Netflix doesn’t try to sell you anything whereas Amazon weaves prime and non-prime content together as tightly as it can, which results in a frustrating user experience.

I wouldn’t pay £20 or more for Mulan or anything else though. I pay that and then some to take the family to the cinema, but that’s a cinema with the whole experience that goes with it. My living room is not a cinema, although to be fair the carpet is frequently as filthy as screen one after a matinee once my kids have been loose in it for a few hours.
Old 05-08-2020, 14:25   #7880
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
As a Disney+ subscriber I don’t expect to have access to made-for-cinema content on the same day it goes on general release, no. If they want to experiment with running a box office service through Disney+ I’m fine with that as long as they don’t muddle up the interface. One of Netflix’s principal advantages over Prime Video is that Netflix doesn’t try to sell you anything whereas Amazon weaves prime and non-prime content together as tightly as it can, which results in a frustrating user experience.

I wouldn’t pay £20 or more for Mulan or anything else though. I pay that and then some to take the family to the cinema, but that’s a cinema with the whole experience that goes with it. My living room is not a cinema, although to be fair the carpet is frequently as filthy as screen one after a matinee once my kids have been loose in it for a few hours.

I'll bet..
Old 05-08-2020, 20:10   #7881
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

[QUOTE=Tricky Trevor;36045691]The average cost of a movie ticket rose to $9.26 in the second quarter of 2019, up from $9.01 during the first three months of the year, according to the National Association of Theatre Owners (NATO).Jul 18, 2019

---------- Post added at 09:39 ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 --------my grandkids have been riping me off last time I gave them money of the cinema it cost me $15 each !

Old 05-08-2020, 21:20   #7882
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Welcome to the super-dooper future.
Old 06-08-2020, 22:12   #7883
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Looks like those good folk at Disney may be giving us yet another opportunity to part with some hard-earned cash.
Quote:
New Disney streaming service to take Star brand
Disney is to launch a new international general entertainment streaming service in 2021.

It will use the Star brand acquired by Disney as part of its acquisition of properties from News Corp.

During a call following Disney’s third quarter earnings, CEO Bob Chapek said the new platform would be similar to the US domestic Hulu with a broader entertainment service for a more mature audience.
https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2020...ke-star-brand/
Old 07-08-2020, 00:38   #7884
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Looks like those good folk at Disney may be giving us yet another opportunity to part with some hard-earned cash.

https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2020...ke-star-brand/
Discovery too now it seems. https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/news/...ails-revealed/

Quote:
In the decades since its launch, the Discovery Channel has almost entirely cornered the market on compelling series chronicling all perspectives of science, technology, and pop culture, with the network's CEO confirming recently that the network was launching an all-new streaming service featuring all of the kinds of programming you expect from the network. Details about the service are currently unclear, though it sounds like the service will feature not only new content but will also be home to at least a portion of the service's already released content, with no name or launch date being revealed about the service.
Old 07-08-2020, 00:45   #7885
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

so there will be another streaming service to pay for !? oh ffs
Old 07-08-2020, 01:07   #7886
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
You don't need to sub to it, it's not like they're going to come knocking your door or anything.
Old 07-08-2020, 06:31   #7887
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
There is a limit to everything as people might fork out for one or two streaming subs but that is as far as most people will go imo.
Old 07-08-2020, 09:51   #7888
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Not necessarily. In the US, Disney + incorporates Hulu and ESPN, but not here.

However, I don't know whether Disney will incorporate Star within Disney, we'll have to see what transpires.
Old 07-08-2020, 20:53   #7889
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

I can't see the point of incorporating Star into Disney+, the Asian channel audience is a completely different demographic. It would be easier to market a Star-branded app with that content front and centre in the user interface.
Old 07-08-2020, 21:12   #7890
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
I can't see the point of incorporating Star into Disney+, the Asian channel audience is a completely different demographic. It would be easier to market a Star-branded app with that content front and centre in the user interface.
If the intention is to populate Star with Indian shows, I agree.
Closed Thread