Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Coronavirus
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 14-12-2021, 17:54   #586
Taf
cf.mega poster
 
Taf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kairdiff-by-the-sea
Age: 66
Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Posts: 9,216
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Re: Coronavirus

The missus has her second eye op on 5th January next year.

The letter says she has to go for a PCR test on 1st Jan, then the entire household MUST self-isolate at home from that same morning until after she returns home on the 5th Jan. "THE ENTIRE HOUSEHOLD SHOULD NOT GO TO WORK, OR MEET WITH PEOPLE OUTSIDE THE HOME".

It also says that if her PCR is positive, or if anyone in the home tests positive before her op, the entire household must self-isolate for 10 days. The op will then be rescheduled for a later date.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-12-2021, 17:57   #587
1andrew1
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 11,804
1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array
1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Are you sure?

Your so called liberal buddies, 99Balloons, sorry Ianch99 and Mr K, calling for the unvaccinated to lose their freedoms. This is discriminatory on health grounds and absolutely not liberal in the slightest.
Liberals are against things like proroguing Parliament, ID cards, banning protests and vaccination passports.

I think your terminology for the above esteemed forum members may be slightly adrift. For starters, Mr K is a share-owning capitalist so not a liberal leftie.
1andrew1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2021, 18:00   #588
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team
 
Damien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 31,213
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
More nonsense & claptrap. Iím sticking to vaccines do not stop transmission. Utter rubbish it stops transmission by 70%. That table is incorrect.

At the end of the day, youíre vaccinated so if you feel so damn safe, then your apparent risk is small from either unvaccinated or vaccinated persons because being either, does not stop you catching Covid. Stop going on about stupid percentages and misinformation, it is a correct fact that being vaccinated does not stop transmission, there is no sugar coating it with irrelevant and fabricated data.
But it's not black and white.

You're right that vaccines don't stop transmission. However, there is a lot of evidence they reduce transmission. It's lower for the Delta variant but the studies on it did show a reduction. https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...690-3/fulltext

Quote:
If vaccines reduce viral density in those who do become infected despite vaccination, it would probably lead to lower infectiousness and less onward transmission. Hence, the authors compared the viral kinetics in breakthrough delta variant infections in vaccinated people with delta variant infections in unvaccinated people. They report that peak viral loads showed a faster decline in vaccinated compared with unvaccinated people, although peak viral loads were similar for unvaccinated and vaccinated people.
As far as I am aware there is no scientific evidence it stops transmission, we can see that in numbers already, but even amongst sceptics it's accepted it reduces it. There is just an argument on how much it does.

After all if it didn't reduce transmission then the numbers never would have gone down.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2021, 18:01   #589
ianch99
cf.mega poster
 
ianch99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3,381
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
Re: Coronavirus

Apparently there was some tool on GBNews claiming that:

Quote:
The government knows that Covid-19 vaccines donít reduce the risk of transmission or infection from the virus.
Here's a Full Fact rebuttal:

https://fullfact.org/online/neil-oli...ccines-effect/

Quote:
While they donít reduce the risk completely, multiple studies have shown vaccines do have a meaningful impact on your chances of catching or passing on the virus once youíve been vaccinated. Early evidence suggests a booster vaccine will strengthen this effect even more.
__________________
pfsense + BT Whole Home WiFi

Last edited by Mick; 14-12-2021 at 18:21. Reason: Use correct names. Stop being immature.
ianch99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2021, 18:02   #590
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!
 
pip08456's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Barry South Wales
Age: 66
Services: Now back with VM for BB & phone. 100Mb service.
Posts: 11,023
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
More nonsense & claptrap. I’m sticking to vaccines do not stop transmission. Utter rubbish it stops transmission by 70%. That table is incorrect.

At the end of the day, you’re vaccinated so if you feel so damn safe, then your apparent risk is small from either unvaccinated or vaccinated persons because being either, does not stop you catching Covid. Stop going on about stupid percentages and misinformation, it is a correct fact that being vaccinated does not stop transmission, there is no sugar coating it with irrelevant and fabricated data.
That table is so "Hot off the press" it is irrelevant as the current concern is about the Omicron variant which is more transmissable and has built in vaccine evasion. That means that covid passports are a complete and utter waste of time and vaccines do not reduce transmission by anywhere near 70%.

Thankfully it appears to be less deadly and no-one has yet reported to have died from it anywhere in the world.

There is a vast difference between someone dying with the Omicron variant and dying from it. Project fear yet again.

Last edited by pip08456; 14-12-2021 at 18:06.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2021, 18:10   #591
ianch99
cf.mega poster
 
ianch99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3,381
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
That table is so "Hot off the press" it is irrelevant as the current concern is about the Omicron variant which is more transmissable and has built in vaccine evasion. That means that covid passports are a complete and utter waste of time and vaccies do not reduce transmission by anywhere near 70%.

Thankfully it appears to be less deadly and no-one has yet reported to have died from it anywhere in the world.

There is a vast difference between someone dying with the Omicron variant and dying from it. Project fear yet again.
You are making statements based on no evidence. There are studies that backup the assertion that a booster jab is effective in reducing transmission:

Omicron: Three vaccine doses key for protection against variant

Please share the research that backs up your assertion that vaccines do not reduce transmission.
__________________
pfsense + BT Whole Home WiFi
ianch99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2021, 18:25   #592
Mick
Cable Forum Team
 
Mick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 14,574
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
You are making statements based on no evidence. There are studies that backup the assertion that a booster jab is effective in reducing transmission:

Omicron: Three vaccine doses key for protection against variant

Please share the research that backs up your assertion that vaccines do not reduce transmission.
That practically nearly every colleague of mine in my healthcare setting, who have recently had their vaccines & boosters have caught Covid two weeks later. Go figure FFS.

---------- Post added at 18:25 ---------- Previous post was at 18:20 ----------

The next person to refer or use incorrect names for news outlets will be banned from debating in this thread. Grow up.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2021, 18:32   #593
ianch99
cf.mega poster
 
ianch99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3,381
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
That practically nearly every colleague of mine in my healthcare setting, who have recently had their vaccines & boosters have caught Covid two weeks later. Go figure FFS
So what? If you work in the medical sector, you should know that science is not based on anecdotal small data sets
__________________
pfsense + BT Whole Home WiFi
ianch99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2021, 18:34   #594
Mick
Cable Forum Team
 
Mick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 14,574
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
So what? If you work in the medical sector, you should know that science is not based on anecdotal small data sets
Vaccination does not stop transmission. Nothing you say alters this fact whatsoever.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2021, 18:36   #595
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team
 
Damien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 31,213
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
That practically nearly every colleague of mine in my healthcare setting, who have recently had their vaccines & boosters have caught Covid two weeks later. Go figure FFS.
But that's an unrepresentative demographic to choose as these people will be around very infectious people all day, every day. In the outside world, fewer people should have COVID and those that do will have less serious symptoms and therefore lower infectivity.

All the people that didn't have the vaccine, that caught it despite the vaccine and had worse symptoms despite the vaccine is going to the hospital. It's ground zero for the virus.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2021, 18:36   #596
mrmistoffelees
067
 
mrmistoffelees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Middlesbrough
Age: 46
Services: Many
Posts: 4,028
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
Re: Coronavirus

In terms of omicron we’re still missing a key piece of information and that is how much more transmissible it is compared to previous variants. Imho anything over 3x more transmissible and we will have an issue for the health service.

There has been one study in Japan not peer reviewed or confirmed which believes that it’s 4.2 times more transmissible. That would be bad news even with the 30% drop in hospitalisations.

TLR we still don’t have enough information, South Africa’s statements can’t be taken as 100% applicable to the U.K.
__________________
Nerves of steel, heart of gold, knob of butter......
mrmistoffelees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2021, 18:37   #597
ianch99
cf.mega poster
 
ianch99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3,381
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Vaccination does not stop transmission. Nothing you say alters this fact whatsoever.
That is not what you are claiming, is it? You are claiming that it does not significantly reduce transmission.
__________________
pfsense + BT Whole Home WiFi
ianch99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2021, 18:42   #598
Mick
Cable Forum Team
 
Mick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 14,574
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Re: Coronavirus

How many times do I have to repeat the line?

Vaccination does not stop transmission?

I’m not interested in, likely, could be, maybe…. Vaccinations only stop serious illness. Nothing more. Vaccinated are still carriers and can still pass on Covid. “Less likely”, is rubbish mantra.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2021, 18:44   #599
mrmistoffelees
067
 
mrmistoffelees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Middlesbrough
Age: 46
Services: Many
Posts: 4,028
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
How many times do I have to repeat the line?

Vaccination does not stop transmission?

Iím not interested in, likely, could be, maybeÖ. Vaccinations only stop serious illness. Nothing more. Vaccinated are still carriers and can still pass on Covid. ďLess likelyĒ, is rubbish mantra.
But they donít, they significantly reduce the chances of you getting seriously ill
__________________
Nerves of steel, heart of gold, knob of butter......
mrmistoffelees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2021, 18:57   #600
Mick
Cable Forum Team
 
Mick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 14,574
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
But they donít, they significantly reduce the chances of you getting seriously ill
Not sure weíre not disagreeing with each other here?
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 00:17.


Server: curium.zmnt.uk
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.