Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Updated: Boris resigns as party leader

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Updated: Boris resigns as party leader
Closed Thread

Old 28-08-2022, 18:11   #4261
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Updated: Boris resigns as party leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
I agree there has to be a radical plan, I think we can all fathom this despite which side of the political spectrum we all sit on.
Agreed, all plans to date are fundamentally tinkering round the edges of the problem. I suspect everyone is waiting for the solutions to become politically palatable. It’s an honest conversation with the voters that I think many so far would prefer not to have to face up to.

And yes, that’s both sides.

Starmer can’t even commit to a higher minimum wage than the Tories will deliver by 2024.
Advertisement
Old 05-09-2022, 11:40   #4262
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Tory alarm at ‘suicidal’ talk of a Boris Johnson comeback as prime minister

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/7...2f8000425d75fc

Quote:
Lord Marland, the former minister and Conservative Party treasurer, said Johnson had told him that his priority was to make money.

He told LBC: “His great statement to me was that he has to now get hay in the loft — go and make some money — to repair his own balance sheet.

“[b]As prime minister you earn so little money[b] and, as it’s been well documented, he’s got a few children and a few ex-wives. So there’s quite a big payroll that he has to satisfy.”
It must be terrible having to survive on £165k per year, with your main accommodation paid for and a second mansion in the country…
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 05-09-2022, 12:02   #4263
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

I think PM pay is far too low and should be at least £250K.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 05-09-2022, 12:04   #4264
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

I think the differentiators between Starmer's Labour and Truss's Conservatives will be around other lines than spending. That comparison really only held true when comparing Corbyn to May as Johnson has been a high-spending interventionist and more of a One Nation Conservative... or at least has portrayed himself as the latter.

The necessity of support to alleviate fuel poverty won't see the end of Conservative high-spending and borrowing. I doubt Truss shares Johnson's enthusiasm for investing in tax-payer bets on non-strategic companies like Black Sheep Coffee and Bolton Wanderers or supporting strategic companies like Tata Steel but political realities may change her mind on the latter.

Truss's Conservatives seem to be less of a one-nation Conservatism and more a tilt towards those at the top with lower employee rights and lower taxes on higher earners.

It will be interesting if once in power, she listens to business on such issues as over-borrowing, Channel 4 privatisation and closer harmonisation with the EU to reduce red tape and grow exports.
Old 05-09-2022, 12:21   #4265
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...6#post36133236

New thread started for new PM to be announced very shortly. This one is now closed.
Closed Thread