Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coronavirus
View Poll Results: When you become eligible for the Covid Vaccine, would you take it?
Yes 76 84.44%
No 8 8.89%
Unsure 6 6.67%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 19-12-2020, 22:52   #1786
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
They need to do this
They dont 'need' to do anything.

Quote:
The minority cannot be allowed to dictate public health.
The minority already are, you just happen to disagree with them.

Quote:
I have been called a bully and I should stay at home buy these Covidiots.
I've been called lots of things over my life, so have most other people.
We know your view, so now you can stop posting it every chance you get.

Baby, I was born this way.
Advertisement
Old 19-12-2020, 23:16   #1787
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
The New Zealand option was never an option for us. A country of 5 million at the bottom of the world and close to nowhere is no comparison to the UK, which has a massive economy, 12 times the population and a high volume of inbound and outbound travel through one of the busiest international airports in the world. The disruption of a no-deal Brexit will be as nothing compared to the sheer chaos of closing ourselves down completely for long enough to make a difference, yet the mere possibility of No Deal has been raising ever more hysterical objections for many months.
I just think we didn’t want to try hard enough and always saw Sweden or the next pipe dream and clung to it. Antibody testing, Operation Moonshot, whatever.

International travel ground to a halt in lockdown 1 and we survived. It remains significantly down now. Measures like testing, screening and quarantine could all be used to reduce risk.

We wouldn’t be closing ourselves entirely down - New Zealand still receives goods from abroad. As would we. It’s the people who are the problem and we’d need to mitigate that. Surely it’d be less economic harm in the long run to get all of our non-travel economy up and running?
Old 19-12-2020, 23:36   #1788
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I just think we didn’t want to try hard enough and always saw Sweden or the next pipe dream and clung to it. Antibody testing, Operation Moonshot, whatever.

International travel ground to a halt in lockdown 1 and we survived. It remains significantly down now. Measures like testing, screening and quarantine could all be used to reduce risk.

We wouldn’t be closing ourselves entirely down - New Zealand still receives goods from abroad. As would we. It’s the people who are the problem and we’d need to mitigate that. Surely it’d be less economic harm in the long run to get all of our non-travel economy up and running?
I'd love to know how you are going to mitigate people being the problem.
Old 19-12-2020, 23:48   #1789
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
I'd love to know how you are going to mitigate people being the problem.
Zoom?
Old 20-12-2020, 00:14   #1790
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Zoom?
Good luck with that.

Meanwhile.

Quote:
On Tuesday 15 December, Professor Nick Loman of the Covid-19 Genomics UK (COG UK) consortium, identified the new set of mutations as VUI – 202012/0. He confirmed that it is not new, as COG UK identified it in September, and there is no proof that it is more infectious. As Professor Sharon Peacock, COG Director, pointed out: “We are still dealing with very thin evidence at the moment about this variant.”

Dr Maria van Kerkhove, the technical lead of COVID-19 response and the head of emerging diseases and zoonosis unit at WHO, has also confirmed that the strain involved has been circulating for many months, though she referred to it as N501Y.
(my bold)

Link
Old 20-12-2020, 01:46   #1791
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

'sigh' well it comes as no surprise to me that some 'experts' have a different view of this new strain.

I've had enough of all this, being 'unlucky' enough to not be able to work from home, I've had 9 months of all work and no play - screw this for a lark, if it gets me it gets me, don't give a flying one anymore
Old 20-12-2020, 05:49   #1792
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Zoom?
Well it stands to reason, our economy didn’t collapse because of no international travel in March.

Processes can be put in place at ports, testing, isolating workers from the rest of the population. New Zealand isn’t some self sustainable wonderland. What have they put in place?
Old 20-12-2020, 08:05   #1793
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Good luck with that.

Meanwhile.

Quote:
On Tuesday 15 December, Professor Nick Loman of the Covid-19 Genomics UK (COG UK) consortium, identified the new set of mutations as VUI – 202012/0. He confirmed that it is not new, as COG UK identified it in September, and there is no proof that it is more infectious. As Professor Sharon Peacock, COG Director, pointed out: “We are still dealing with very thin evidence at the moment about this variant.”

Dr Maria van Kerkhove, the technical lead of COVID-19 response and the head of emerging diseases and zoonosis unit at WHO, has also confirmed that the strain involved has been circulating for many months, though she referred to it as N501Y.
(my bold)

Link
Are you suggesting that it is being hyped up to exert more control over the population? I think I’m going to start wearing a tinfoil hat.
Old 20-12-2020, 08:54   #1794
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post

Are you suggesting that it is being hyped up to exert more control over the population? I think I’m going to start wearing a tinfoil hat.
Meanwhile the sales of jackboot polish....
Old 20-12-2020, 09:06   #1795
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Meanwhile the sales of jackboot polish....
And Hugo Boss trench coats.
Old 20-12-2020, 09:45   #1796
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Good luck with that.

Meanwhile.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
I note that both yourself and Pip fail to acknowledge that the data regarding increased transmission capability’s was provided to the government on Friday.

The article Pip is referencing, and your comment is based on has been superseded and is no longer relevant.

Last edited by mrmistoffelees; 20-12-2020 at 09:48.
Old 20-12-2020, 10:28   #1797
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

As far as I can see tier 4 is just like the first lockdown in March which didn't really impact on my life anyway. As long as the food shops, pharmacies and other essential shops are open we will be fine. I'm sad for those who wanted to see family for Christmas but there will be another time when we can meet up safely. Let's be safe until then. Just check up on family on a regular basis by whatever method suits as long as it's socially distanced.
Old 20-12-2020, 11:09   #1798
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post

I note that both yourself and Pip fail to acknowledge that the data regarding increased transmission capability’s was provided to the government on Friday.

The article Pip is referencing, and your comment is based on has been superseded and is no longer relevant.
The article I referenced is dated 19/12/2020. That would be yesterday.
Old 20-12-2020, 11:18   #1799
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
The article I referenced is dated 19/12/2020. That would be yesterday.
That would be the published date, the first few words give the date of the comments. Which would be Tuesday the 15th December

---------- Post added at 11:18 ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 ----------

Grant Shapps issues statement saying extra police will be deployed to Tier 4 to enforce travel restrictions.

Source BBC
Old 20-12-2020, 11:43   #1800
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post

That would be the published date, the first few words give the date of the comments. Which would be Tuesday the 15th December

---------- Post added at 11:18 ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 ----------

Grant Shapps issues statement saying extra police will be deployed to Tier 4 to enforce travel restrictions.

Source BBC
You think new evidence appeared in 3 days about a strain that has been around for months?

Dr Susan Hopkins (PHE) on impact of new variant: (today on Ridge on Sunday)

-'No signals' of increased mortality in SE.
-No disproportionate admissions to hospital or disproportionate increases in mortality.
Closed Thread