Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Wireless signal not travelling well in house

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

how do i split an Ethernet wall socket so i can connect to two devices at once

Old 10-12-2012, 23:12   #1
tonycee
cf.member

Services: V6 100 broadband
tonycee is an unknown quantity at this point
how do i split an Ethernet wall socket so i can connect to two devices at once

i have a super hub in my front room which connects to a TiVo and to a TV.
there is also a third connection which goes to a wall socket which then runs an Ethernet cable around the outside wall to the back room
room where it comes in to another wall socket

in this other room i take an ethernet cable to a second tivo for multi room streaming..i also have a second wireless router in this room and what i want to do is - split the Ethernet connection to the TiVo and router, so i can use both at the same time.

i have tried connecting direct to wireless router and then out to TiVo but then multi room does not work

is there anything i can get for under £10, that will allow the two simultaneous connections that i need... hope this makes some sense
tonycee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-12-2012, 23:14   #2
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M
Re: how do i split an Ethernet wall socket so i can connect to two devices at once

Just the job: http://www.ebuyer.com/259797-tp-link...tch-tl-sf1005d
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 00:20   #3
tonycee
cf.member

Re: how do i split an Ethernet wall socket so i can connect to two devices at once

Thanks, seems like a solution..but is there just a simple two way Ethernet plug that would split the signal without mains power?
Old 11-12-2012, 07:51   #4
admars
cf.mega poster

admars has reached the bronze age
admars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze age

I think a simple switch as linked to by Graham is the quickest and easiest solution, as it's a cheap option with proper dedicated hardware to "split the signal".

I have seen ethernet splitters, but from what I understand, they're not really designed, and don't work too well for what you want.

i.e. I think they're good if you've got your wall socket in centre of room, computer A in 1 corner, computer B in another corner so you want to plug both in permanently but you'll never have them both switched on at same time, as the splitter has no intelligence to direct the signal properly, so I think you'd have problems with both machines on at once. A switch knows where to send what info.

I may have oversimplified that a bit too much, or got it a bit wrong, so some-one please correct me if I'm wrong, I just know switches and routers are best tool for job as they're intelligent, routers more so than switches, as they can also connect to internet
admars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:12   #5
tonycee
cf.member

many thanks for the extra info- much appreciated
Old 11-12-2012, 13:41   #6
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

With a straightforward "double socket" or "switch" how would the modem know what signals are coming/going to/from each device? The answer is they wouldn't.

That's why you need the device mentioned above by Graham M. Cheap and simple to use.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 15:57   #7
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

If you already have a wireless router then that is the solution right there. It needs to be set up correctly, fiddling around with more devices than you need is pointless if they're all set up wrong.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote