Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 14-05-2008, 00:40   #6541
icsys
Inactive

Services: Virgin - BB,TV,Phone Sky box - with no sub Freeview - idtv
icsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really nice
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

It looks like at least one ISP is attepting to cash in on being anti-Phorm
Although their 'what is Phorm' page is slightly misleading, you can't blame them for trying to win customers.

http://www.surfanytime.com/
Advertisement
Old 14-05-2008, 00:46   #6542
thebarron
Inactive

Services: VM 10mb, phone
thebarron is on a distinguished roadthebarron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by icsys View Post
Although their 'what is Phorm' page is slightly misleading, you can't blame them for trying to win customers.

I like it -
Old 14-05-2008, 01:03   #6543
Paul Delaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by icsys View Post

Nice little Free Dial-up number there too complete with user/pass! (they don't usually give them out without a sign-up) very handy...

Old 14-05-2008, 02:54   #6544
3x2
Inactive

3x2 is on a distinguished road3x2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The Charles Stanley report on Phorm states, “our Base Case assumption has the UK going fully commercial during Q3/08; …France in Q1/10; Germany in Q2/10, and Italy and Spain in Q3/10 and Q4/10.”
The whole report was filled with wild optimism from start to finish but you really had to wonder about the international 'assumptions'. "France in Q1/10" anyone told the French yet?? 'Non' is a phrase that comes to mind. German high courts may also have something to say about mass wire-tapping. Lets not forget this recent gem from The Supreme Court of the state of New Jersey...

Quote:
Chief Justice Rabner said: "Individuals need an ISP address in order to access the internet. However, when users surf the web from the privacy of their homes, they have reason to expect that their actions are confidential.
So that will be a big "HELL NO" from New Jersey at least.

Considering they are incorporated in Delaware the US should have been their 'test bed'. The way Phorm views the UK is obvious - the easy target. The country that tops the league in blind acceptance of privacy invasion. What's one more? Where exactly will they go next if they can't get their intrusive scumware accepted - even in the UK? Talk about crawling before you walk.

Just as an aside - There are lot's of good reasons why companies like Google should oppose Phorm but for the moment they should stay away. If Phorm can turn this into some "David and Goliath" commercial confrontation they will. Let Google et al get involved in the extremely unlikely event that BTPhorm goes into production.
Old 14-05-2008, 02:58   #6545
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

NebuAd signed up with charter in the US coverage today, it got /. 'ed too

and they are holding a NebuAd public meeting in several US places apparently....

perhaps some US users will get to these, and video tape the WHOLE meeting for proof later of any tech quotes etc.

that info might come in handy for the Uk NebuAd launch if it ever happens here OC.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...geted-ads.html
Charter "enhances" Internet service with targeted ads

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/05/13/1832256
Charter Is Latest ISP To Plan Wiretapping Via DPI
Old 14-05-2008, 04:12   #6546
3x2
Inactive

3x2 is on a distinguished road3x2 is on a distinguished road

I think the difference is (sadly) that the US has a formal constitution and a legal system that works (not always in the right way - but it works). Lets face it - BTPhorm have admitted to (100,000+) breaches of the law in this country and no action is/or can be taken. We are governed by muppets.

To quote my previous quote ...

Quote:
Chief Justice Rabner said: "Individuals need an ISP address in order to access the internet. However, when users surf the web from the privacy of their homes, they have reason to expect that their actions are confidential.
This is the kind of top level legal decision making we need in the UK (and I really don't mind if if the decision had gone a different way). The reality is that in the US this kind of case can make it to The Supreme Court of the state of New Jersey. In the UK we don't have anyone defending our rights because we don't have any formal rights and where we do (EU level) we have no way of enforcing them. Reason enough for Phorm to try the UK first.

UK - The soft under-belly of Europe. Most people in the UK understand it as "rip-off Britain" - the country where you are scammed and ripped-off on a daily basis, your own Government sells you to the snake oil salesmen and you can do nothing about it.
Old 14-05-2008, 04:58   #6547
Tarantella
Inactive

Tarantella will become famous soon enoughTarantella will become famous soon enoughTarantella will become famous soon enough

Oh, I don't know. We might be a bit slow some time but when the case is judged it might be decided that a fine per offense should be applied just like a few businesses think illegal file sharers should be fined per offense.

He may also decide that individual engineers are guilty as well as directors.
Old 14-05-2008, 07:11   #6548
James_Firth
Inactive

James_Firth is on a distinguished roadJames_Firth is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephormation View Post
By co-incidence, just read this paragraph in 1984;
As O'Brien passed the telescreen a thought seemed to strike him. He stopped, turned aside and pressed a switch on the wall. There was a sharp snap. The voice had stopped.

Julia uttered a tiny sound, a sort of squeak of surprise. Even in the midst of his panic, Winston was too much taken aback to be able to hold his tongue.

" You can turn it off ! " he said.

" Yes ", said O'Brien, " we can turn it off. We have that privilege. "
I knew I'd heard that phrase before when Kent was stressing the point that you could turn it off during the Town Hall meeting! Years since I read it, maybe I will have to again sometime...
Old 14-05-2008, 07:34   #6549
OF1975
Inactive

OF1975 will become famous soon enoughOF1975 will become famous soon enoughOF1975 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by serial View Post
Does anyone else see the likeness of the younger Palpatine?

Kent clearly went over to the darkside - where they have cookies
Old 14-05-2008, 07:36   #6550
Anonymouse
RIP Tigger - 12 years?!

Services: EE Superfast Broadband
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Firth View Post
Years since I read it, maybe I will have to again sometime...
In my opinion everyone in the UK should read it. Never has 1984 been more apposite, if not prophetic, than today. It almost makes me wonder if Orwell was either a time traveller or had incredible precognitive powers. What would he have thought about the Internet, I wonder?

The way things are going in this country - our efforts notwithstanding - if anyone wrote a sequel (updated to accommodate modern advances), it'd be difficult to distinguish it from a traveller's guide to the UK...
Old 14-05-2008, 08:42   #6551
NTLVictim
Inactive

Services: Finding people (retired)
NTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadPhormula View Post
ADVFN will give you that live drubbing of shares that you require. You can sit there with all the flashing colours like the stuff you see on TV and the movies going up and down... and you can join in and pretend you are on the floor at the London Stock Exchange shouting BUY!!! SELL!!! BUY!!! SELL!!! at your screen

Joined..v confusing..I've got "LSE:PHRM" onscreen at the mo, down 2.9%..is that right?
Old 14-05-2008, 08:53   #6552
jca111
Inactive

jca111 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTLVictim View Post
Joined..v confusing..I've got "LSE:PHRM" onscreen at the mo, down 2.9%..is that right?
Yes - two small trades at opening - down 50p
Old 14-05-2008, 09:12   #6553
fidbod
Inactive

fidbod is on a distinguished roadfidbod is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephormation View Post
By co-incidence, just read this paragraph in 1984;
As O'Brien passed the telescreen a thought seemed to strike him. He stopped, turned aside and pressed a switch on the wall. There was a sharp snap. The voice had stopped.

Julia uttered a tiny sound, a sort of squeak of surprise. Even in the midst of his panic, Winston was too much taken aback to be able to hold his tongue.

" You can turn it off ! " he said.

" Yes ", said O'Brien, " we can turn it off. We have that privilege. "
Funnily enough the building that the town hall meeting was held was used in the film of 1984 as the exterior facade of the ministry of love.

hmm.
Old 14-05-2008, 09:18   #6554
Dephormation
Inactive

Services: Aquiss.net and loving it. No more Virgin Media, no more Virgin Phone, no more Virgin Mobile.
Dephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidbod View Post
Funnily enough the building that the town hall meeting was held was used in the film of 1984 as the exterior facade of the ministry of love.

hmm.
I sense the hand of George Orwell's ghost at work.

(In 1984 the purpose of the Ministry of Love is to enforce loyalty and love of Big Brother through fear, torture, and brainwashing).

How was it for you Alexander?
Old 14-05-2008, 09:26   #6555
jelv
Inactive

jelv is an unknown quantity at this point

Another Phorm reference:

http://www.eaca.be/news/newsletterar...sletter=77#981

About half way down "MEPs raise questions on consumer data protection and advertising"
Closed Thread