Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Updated: Boris resigns as party leader

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Updated: Boris resigns as party leader
Closed Thread

Old 16-05-2022, 10:49   #2131
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: Partygate & Beergate discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I don’t think that the rule makers ever thought that a cake on its own represented a social event. The Met have got it wrong.
I don't know why you keep going on about cake. The Met deemed this event a social one and with his wife and interior designer there, Johnson evidently agreed and paid the fine. And he's the rule-maker.

As a reminder, the birthday party was held in 2020 hence during far stricter lock down laws than Beergate.

---------- Post added at 10:46 ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 ----------

Quote:
You must have a lot of faith in the police to say that. A court is the judge of whether or not you are innocent and I have no doubt they would come to a different conclusion on the cake incident.
Johnson evidently disagrees that the courts would have found differently as he paid the fine and didn't dispute it.

I'm disappointed you're adopting such a woke approach to Robert Peel's finest.

---------- Post added at 10:49 ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 ----------

Quote:

It's not a hard call at all. The hard call is trying to justify why Boris got a fine and Sir Kier didn't.

I wouldn't like to be the one explaining that one, because it's just so obviously wrong.
The hard call I was referencing was clearly around around alcohol consumption.
Quote:
What's a reasonable amount of alcohol to be able to continue work? I would probably cap it at two beers but if it turned out to be three beers each would the police start to get that judgmental? It's a hard call!

Last edited by 1andrew1; 16-05-2022 at 11:55.
Advertisement
Old 16-05-2022, 11:43   #2132
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
<SNIP>

BJ may still be found to have breached the law in relation to other incidents still to be judged, but it would be jumping the gun to accuse him of blatantly and deliberately breaking the rules as some have claimed.

Carelessly breaking the rules doesn't put Boris in a good light eithet, OB.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 16-05-2022, 11:49   #2133
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
I don't know why you keep going on about cake.
Because he’s lost the argument on the basis of the facts. His only recourse (given his basic inability ever to admit to being wrong about anything) is therefore to change the facts so that he’s right.

Therefore in OB’s head the only available, relevant information is the cake, which may be portrayed as an absurd basis for a fine so long as it is isolated from all the other evidence (e.g. the presence of other people who clearly had nothing to do with his work).
Old 16-05-2022, 11:52   #2134
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post

Carelessly breaking the rules doesn't put Boris in a good light either, OB.
Indeed - Johnson either didn't understand the rules he made or just ignored them. This demonstrates to me why he's not appropriate for the job of PM.
Old 16-05-2022, 12:03   #2135
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Indeed - Johnson either didn't understand the rules he made or just ignored them. This demonstrates to me why he's not appropriate for the job of PM.

Oh - there's much more including:

* "There will be no border in the Irish sea" - liar.
* "We will not raise the rate of income tax, VAT or National Insurance." - liar.
* Attempt to save Owen Paterson from suspension - sleaze.
* Partygate - either liar or brash fool.
* International buffoon.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 16-05-2022, 12:39   #2136
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post

* "We will not raise the rate of income tax, VAT or National Insurance." - liar.
This one is always tricky for any party. The situation we are now in is so different when the statement was made it's hard to see how the "promise" could be kept and not drive the nation into bankruptcy.
Old 16-05-2022, 12:57   #2137
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
I think the PM had some serious stuff to deal with and was unaware of what was going on behind his back.

Thus far, he has received a fine because a cake arrived in the room where he had arrived for a meeting. Let’s see what else transpires before we start judging him against Cummings’ allegations.

---------- Post added at 10:12 ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 ----------

I don’t think that the rule makers ever thought that a cake on its own represented a social event. The Met have got it wrong.

---------- Post added at 10:17 ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 ----------

You must have a lot of faith in the police to say that. A court is the judge of whether or not you are innocent and I have no doubt they would come to a different conclusion on the cake incident.

BJ may still be found to have breached the law in relation to other incidents still to be judged, but it would be jumping the gun to accuse him of blatantly and deliberately breaking the rules as some have claimed.
I NEVER mentioned cake. You have a Marie Antoinette obsession with cake.However everything I accuse the PM and his government STILL stands.
Old 16-05-2022, 13:06   #2138
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Keir Starmer would be just as shit, given the LIES he and Labour have told over beergate.
Old 16-05-2022, 13:08   #2139
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
This one is always tricky for any party. The situation we are now in is so different when the statement was made it's hard to see how the "promise" could be kept and not drive the nation into bankruptcy.
I've some sympathy for Johnson on this point too although I think the NI hike might tip us towards recession.

I would swap it out for PPE scandal.
Old 16-05-2022, 13:11   #2140
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I've some sympathy for Johnson on this point too although I think the NI hike might tip us towards recession.

I would swap it out for PPE scandal.
Just as bad as Labours Cash for Honours scandal.

Like I said, Labour are just as bad but more useless.
Old 16-05-2022, 13:19   #2141
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Keir Starmer would be just as shit, given the LIES he and Labour have told over beergate.
Johnson should be benchmarked against those who are likely to step into his shoes if he is forced to resign due to Partygate That won't be Starmer as there won't be a general election.

Any transgressions which Starner may or may not have done do not make Johnson a suitable Prime Minister.
Old 16-05-2022, 13:40   #2142
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Sad that the argument is that Kier is less shit than Johnson. What a lucky electorate we are!
Old 16-05-2022, 13:51   #2143
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Sad that the argument is that Kier is less shit than Johnson. What a lucky electorate we are!
No one seems to be making that argument on here though.

But as I think Damien has said, you vote against who you don't want, not who you want. Before we beat politicians up too much on this, I guess that's a function of the first past the post voting system.
Old 16-05-2022, 13:55   #2144
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

[QUOTE=1andrew1;36122539]Johnson should be benchmarked against those who are likely to step into his shoes if he is forced to resign due to Partygate That won't be Starmer as there won't be a general election.

Any transgressions which Starner may or may not have done do not make Johnson a suitable Prime Minister.

Old 16-05-2022, 14:31   #2145
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Keir Starmer forced into HUGE U-turn - Labour leader hints he'll quit even if NOT fined
SIR KEIR STARMER has pledged to quit as Labour leader if he is found to have "done something wrong" by the police, rather than just if he is fined.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/polit...nd-rule-breach

I'm starting to get the feeling he doesn't want the job