Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Merged] NTL Email Issues

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service > Webspace, E-Mail & Browsing Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Merged] NTL Email Issues
View Poll Results: NTL email - Any better ?
No - There has been no change 46 34.85%
No - Its got worse 63 47.73%
Yes - Its much better 17 12.88%
Pass - I dont use NTL email 6 4.55%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Old 19-05-2004, 20:20   #421
MetaWraith
Inactive

MetaWraith has a bronzed appealMetaWraith has a bronzed appeal
MetaWraith has a bronzed appealMetaWraith has a bronzed appealMetaWraith has a bronzed appealMetaWraith has a bronzed appealMetaWraith has a bronzed appealMetaWraith has a bronzed appealMetaWraith has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via ICQ to MetaWraith Send a message via AIM to MetaWraith Send a message via MSN to MetaWraith Send a message via Yahoo to MetaWraith
Re: [Merged] ntl Email Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognitas
Shhh! it's working again.Touching nearest MDF as a source of luck.
Incog.
Mail Delivery Facility ?
MetaWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-05-2004, 20:28   #422
threadbare
Inactive

threadbare is a glorious beacon of lightthreadbare is a glorious beacon of lightthreadbare is a glorious beacon of lightthreadbare is a glorious beacon of lightthreadbare is a glorious beacon of lightthreadbare is a glorious beacon of lightthreadbare is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr wadd
That may be how NTL sell the service, but at the end of the day the e-mail service isn`t free, that would imply that NTL are running it at a loss out of the goodness of their hearts, something that I can`t see holding true for the higher management, nor something that would be tolerated by their creditors. It's only "free" in the sense that they don`t charge you extra to have e-mail, but there is at least a percentage of the subscription charge going towards paying for the cost of the e-mail.
I took this up with bill goodland last year. It was suggested that team managers could offer some sort of goodwill gesture for customer who complained a when email went fubar, but there is no monetary value assigned to the upkeep of the mail systems (I am sure some accountant knows somewhere) At the time he took the idea on board and agreed it was something worth considering but nothing has come of it and given the time lapse, and constant change of management at the top, I doubt it ever will.
threadbare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2004, 20:30   #423
abailey152
Inactive

Services: 60Mb VM BB Sky+HD
abailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to abailey152 Send a message via Yahoo to abailey152

Quote:
NTL says it has no idea when it will resolve a problem that has left many of its punters unable to send email.
I think the above quote from The Register says it all. Although, perhaps it should have been "NTL says it has no idea IF it will resolve a problem that has left many of its punters unable to send email".
abailey152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2004, 20:33   #424
eddie00001
Inactive

Services: Sky Broadband Sky HD
eddie00001 has entered a golden reputation eraeddie00001 has entered a golden reputation eraeddie00001 has entered a golden reputation eraeddie00001 has entered a golden reputation eraeddie00001 has entered a golden reputation eraeddie00001 has entered a golden reputation eraeddie00001 has entered a golden reputation eraeddie00001 has entered a golden reputation eraeddie00001 has entered a golden reputation eraeddie00001 has entered a golden reputation eraeddie00001 has entered a golden reputation era

Can anyone recommend a good host for e-mail POP accounts?
eddie00001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2004, 21:31   #425
Toxsick Kitty
Inactive

Toxsick Kitty is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Re: [Merged] ntl Email Issues

Just adding my thruppenny's worth here....
Another 3 days without a properly functioning email service, added to similar problems throughout the last couple of months....if you add up all the email outages , I'm pretty sure they would account for at least one week, if not more, of service I have PAYED for but not received. Yes, I have read the threads about how email is just a part of my Internet connection from NTL, but a pretty important one at that! Now any other service, if you payed for something you did not receive, you are usually entitled to a refund. Why do we put up with this problem from NTL????
I am particularly cheesed off this month, as NTL managed to bill me 3 times for my monthly bill, which cost me a large amount of money in added bank charges on top. They are very radical about chasing up money they think is owed to them, but a bit more cavalier about providing the service we pay for- 3 times in my case, and I'm NOT laughing, believe me.
I keep checking the service status, and in 3 days, still no news of when this current problem is going to be sorted out?? Surely they must have a rough idea?
Toxsick Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2004, 21:42   #426
BlueMeany
Inactive

BlueMeany is an unknown quantity at this point

Whats really strange now, is that I'm sending emails....

they are still sitting in my email outbox (and not in my sent items), but I'm getting replies back from them... even though according to my email proggy (Outlook) I haven't even sent them!!

I've never known an email service like this... ever.. anywhere (been on the internet for best part of 9 years). Even tiscali has a better email service now!

Please, Please, Please ntl... sort it out!
BlueMeany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2004, 09:22   #427
AdeRickus
Inactive

AdeRickus is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to AdeRickus Send a message via MSN to AdeRickus

I am in an NTL only broadband area and therefore with Sat prices so high thats the only reason I stick with NTL. My broadband gave out yesterday for over 2 hours, i dont use the email service, instead I have purchased my own domain through http://www.oneandone.co.uk and dont therefore have a problem there, but I was forced into this for the reason the NTL service is so bad.

I pay DD, they keep getting this wrong and I ended up last month owing over £160, how is this possible for a DD customer ?!?!

The only thing NTL have shown me is incompetance when calling them, this I try to avoid at all costs, the email is but one aspect of it.

I hope another company covers my area soon, I am sick of bad tech, bad service and people who when called on a support line know less than myself.

Hopeless !
AdeRickus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2004, 09:32   #428
mnw21cam
Inactive

mnw21cam is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaWraith
Mail Delivery Facility ?
Medium Density Fibreboard.

Wood substitute.
mnw21cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2004, 12:39   #429
swoop101
cf.mega poster

swoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appeal
swoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxsick Kitty
I am particularly cheesed off this month, as NTL managed to bill me 3 times for my monthly bill, which cost me a large amount of money in added bank charges on top.
If the charges were taken out wrongly then they (and the bank if on DD) are liable for these charges. Phone the bank for info.
swoop101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2004, 21:28   #430
XFS03

Services: XL broadband ntl250 modem

ntl are now saying that the problem is being caused by a virus attack on their network, coupled with a huge increase in spam.

http://www.ntlworld.com/help/aup/email_alert.php
Old 21-05-2004, 02:12   #431
greencreeper
Inactive

Services: Email me for a current price list
greencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny star
greencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFS03
There doesn't appear to be a raspberry emoticon
greencreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2004, 09:35   #432
Toreador
Inactive

Toreador is an unknown quantity at this point

Poetic justice
Of course they're claiming that other ISPs are having the same problem, can't say I'm convinced.
Toreador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2004, 11:01   #433
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

in my experience, Demon and I-web don't have this problem. Of course demon's strategic planning upgraded their mail servers 6 months ago and put brightmail filtering in place. This resulted in capacity availibiltiy doubling and volume falling by 40% (so we were told). But then Demon is not a TV company trying to run an ISP.
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2004, 09:40   #434
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!
Angry Email Outage

Anybody know what is actually wrong with email?

Have NTL killed some servers? Online ETA??

Lee

PS - Admin - sorry - could not find a thread relating to this latest outage...
Old 22-05-2004, 09:46   #435
hansi
cf.geek

hansi is on a distinguished roadhansi is on a distinguished road
Re: Email Outage

don't know, nothing on the server status page
hansi is offline   Reply With Quote