Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Merged] NTL Email Issues

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service > Webspace, E-Mail & Browsing Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Merged] NTL Email Issues
View Poll Results: NTL email - Any better ?
No - There has been no change 46 34.85%
No - Its got worse 63 47.73%
Yes - Its much better 17 12.88%
Pass - I dont use NTL email 6 4.55%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18-05-2004, 14:46   #361
mnw21cam
Inactive

mnw21cam is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: [Merged] ntl Email Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham
In which case I'm in the same minority.
Me too, but for a different reason:

In all the instances so far when I have let someone else manage my spam filtering, it has been really bad. With my own spam filters, I get zero false positives, and hardly any false negatives.
mnw21cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-05-2004, 14:56   #362
Toreador
Inactive

Toreador is an unknown quantity at this point

Filtering by content is one thing, and shouldn't be done by the ISP - apart from virus-containing attachments that could easily be blocked, either by bouncing the email or removing the attachment. Filtering by origin is a different matter and is what other ISPs seem to do.
Toreador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2004, 14:58   #363
greencreeper
Inactive

Services: Email me for a current price list
greencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny star
greencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham
In which case I'm in the same minority.

Due to the nature of my business (if you don't know, follow the www link below!) I can't filter out (or have someone else filter out) messages that contain reference to, shall we say, "bodily parts" because it could be a spam offering to enlarge them or it could be a legitimate customer enquiry.

I appreciate, of course, that it's not the same for everyone, but such systems should not be applied by default.
I like those catalogues. You can spend many an hour, often with a friend or partner, trying to work out which bit of the body goes in/over/through each item :pp You must get some strange emails
greencreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2004, 15:23   #364
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simcut
rubbish, NTL get everything else wrong :\
Thank you for that enlightening contribution

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2004, 15:29   #365
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnw21cam
Me too, but for a different reason:

In all the instances so far when I have let someone else manage my spam filtering, it has been really bad. With my own spam filters, I get zero false positives, and hardly any false negatives.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toreador
Filtering by content is one thing, and shouldn't be done by the ISP - apart from virus-containing attachments that could easily be blocked, either by bouncing the email or removing the attachment. Filtering by origin is a different matter and is what other ISPs seem to do.
The brightmail / demon setup works like this... Brightmail have set up a few thousand email accounts globally. These accounts have never been revealed on the internet. If a mail goes to one of these accounts, by default it must be spam, as mail has never been solicited to these accounts. This is then parsed to establish a pattern and that is added to the demon filters.

If you send a mail to them, it is manually reviewed to ensure it is not solicited before being added to the system.

It works brilliantly, and misses about 10% making my mail far more managable.

Grahams line of business would be irrelivant for the above reasons.
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2004, 15:35   #366
mnw21cam
Inactive

mnw21cam is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
There is agreement in quite a few circles that the behaviour of bouncing emails with viruses, or stripping bad attachments and sending through the rest of the email is a bad thing. In fact, some viruses explicitly use the behaviour of some "virus scanners" that bounce the emails to deliver their payload to their intended victim, by sending the email to a non-existent address from the target address. For some reason, the bounce often includes the virus attachment, and bypasses some scanners.
mnw21cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2004, 16:49   #367
ntl customer
Inactive

Services: Weddings, christenings, barmitzvahs and funerals.
ntl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond repute

The "'452 Filesystem error - message not accepted'" seems to be something to do with the hard disks getting full.

Perhaps it is time for ntl to replace the pentium 1 boxes with 500Mb HDD's
ntl customer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2004, 17:01   #368
Toreador
Inactive

Toreador is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnw21cam
There is agreement in quite a few circles that the behaviour of bouncing emails with viruses, or stripping bad attachments and sending through the rest of the email is a bad thing.
Bouncing I can understand. But what's the problem with removing the virus-bearing attachments?
Toreador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2004, 17:13   #369
threadbare
Inactive

threadbare is a glorious beacon of lightthreadbare is a glorious beacon of lightthreadbare is a glorious beacon of lightthreadbare is a glorious beacon of lightthreadbare is a glorious beacon of lightthreadbare is a glorious beacon of lightthreadbare is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
ntl fliter by using spamhaus
threadbare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2004, 17:21   #370
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array

Perhaps this is the answer?

Let's face it-if ntl haven't sorted out their email issues in the time they have been occuring (over a year), then they're never going to get it fixed.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2004, 18:24   #371
threadbare
Inactive

threadbare is a glorious beacon of lightthreadbare is a glorious beacon of lightthreadbare is a glorious beacon of lightthreadbare is a glorious beacon of lightthreadbare is a glorious beacon of lightthreadbare is a glorious beacon of lightthreadbare is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
Perhaps this is the answer?

Let's face it-if ntl haven't sorted out their email issues in the time they have been occuring (over a year), then they're never going to get it fixed.
cant get that site - corporate firewall - whatis it?

dont forget the mail platform still hasn't been migrated to openwave yet - this is supposed to take place in june sometime
Old 18-05-2004, 18:24   #372
dr wadd

Quote:
Originally Posted by threadbare
ntl fliter by using spamhaus
Do you actually have any links that you can post that provide evidence that NTL perform any spam filtering? I see no evidence at all that there has been a reduction in the amount of spam hitting my inbox. Spampal flags 99% of the spam correctly, so if I can do it reliably at my end then why is there no indication that NTL can do it at there's.

I should set Spampal temporarily to only use the Spamhaus blacklists. If it is still classifying mails as spam it will indicate that the senders are on the Spamhaus lists, and if I receive any of those mails it would strongly suggest that the claim that NTL are performing spam filtering is incorrect.
Old 18-05-2004, 18:26   #373
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:

dont forget the mail platform still hasn't been migrated to openwave yet - this is supposed to take place in june sometime
So you'd describe it as 'coming soon'...?

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2004, 18:48   #374
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array

Quote:
It's Lycos's 1 gig mail offering @ £3.49 per month.

Quote:
Your own domain name
- 1000 More MB of space!
- 50 Multiple mail boxes on your domain
- 30 Free SMS per month
- Enhanced spam & virus protection
- No banners / pop-ups

Quote:
Hmmm-Coming Soon is it!?

[Edit]-Beaten to it by Russ!
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2004, 18:49   #375
threadbare
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ D
So you'd describe it as 'coming soon'...?
now then some ground rules - just cos I have come out that I do work for ntl - do not take what I say as gospel - i know most of u don't anyway

it is scheduled to take place - it does have a date but I am not willing to provide it as I dont want to get anyone's hopes up, as u all know schedules slip

so yes it is comming soon

@ dr wadd I can't provide any evidence at all but i know from my own inbox that spam has been reduced.