Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Updated: Boris resigns as party leader

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Updated: Boris resigns as party leader
Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2021, 13:06   #31
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Re: Owen Paterson: Anger as Tory MP avoids suspension in rule shake-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
And the worst of it? It's all either ignored. Or attempted to be justified and accepted by a large percentage of the public.
I think 'a large percentage of the public' don't give two hoots about 'Partygate'.

Many of the general public don't give a fig about lots of stuff . .
Advertisement
Old 08-12-2021, 13:11   #32
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
I think 'a large percentage of the public' don't give two hoots about 'Partygate'.

Oh i agree, I'd argue they perhaps should?
Old 08-12-2021, 13:16   #33
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

I get all the "should be held to higher standard" etc etc, but they evidence by their actions that most don't have any standards.

The output of this is apathy, and referring to that wonderful quote the Hugh researched from Thatcher, if they tried to impose any further restrictions I think most people would just flout them now.
Old 08-12-2021, 13:20   #34
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
Oh i agree, I'd argue they perhaps should?
It all depends on what they perceive to be 'important' in their everyday lives . . .

Is the TV still working? *yes*
Is Facebook still working? *yes*
Is my car still working? *yes*
Can I still shop online? *yes*
Old 08-12-2021, 13:21   #35
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
It all depends on what they perceive to be 'important' in their everyday lives . . .

Is the TV still working? *yes*
Is Facebook still working? *yes*
Is my car still working? *yes*
Can I still shop online? *yes*
Very true, but elections are won and lost in the margins. One per cent here, two per cent there.

The knives will be out.
Old 08-12-2021, 13:28   #36
Carth
cf.mega poster

Yes the knives will be out, but it won't be the 'general public' wielding them.
Old 08-12-2021, 13:30   #37
mrmistoffelees

mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
I get all the "should be held to higher standard" etc etc, but they evidence by their actions that most don't have any standards.

The output of this is apathy, and referring to that wonderful quote the Hugh researched from Thatcher, if they tried to impose any further restrictions I think most people would just flout them now.
I can't argue with that to be honest. If any sort of household mixing were to be introduced I'd like to think i'd go along with it, but if i'm honest I'd just carry on as normal.

Decisive action was required to nip this in the bud, they've not done that, the moral authority if not gone is in in question. and yet STILL Keir Starmer can't get a fatal blow in
Old 08-12-2021, 14:41   #38
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

So Johnson has thrown his staff under the bus - that could come back to haunt him…

btw, "I apologise for the impression that was given" is up there with "I’m sorry you felt you were offended" as far as fauxpologies go…
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 08-12-2021, 15:36   #39
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Decisive action was required to nip this in the bud, they've not done that, the moral authority if not gone is in in question. and yet STILL Keir Starmer can't get a fatal blow in
What kind of fatal blow are you expecting? His questions were good and awkward for Johnson, and he got a commitment for No 10 to hand over details of any parties (plural) to the police.

The story has enough traction on it's own though.
Old 08-12-2021, 16:11   #40
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Scottish Conservative leader and bang average lineo Douglas Ross has called for Boris Johnson to resign if he misled Parliament. A caveat that, unless he’s completely forgotten about a party he was actually at, doesn’t mean much.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...5Bpost+type%5D
Old 08-12-2021, 16:16   #41
mrmistoffelees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
What kind of fatal blow are you expecting? His questions were good and awkward for Johnson, and he got a commitment for No 10 to hand over details of any parties (plural) to the police.

The story has enough traction on it's own though.

To me, it appeared that Boris managed to brush off his questioning quite easily.

The police according to some media sources were already aware of what was going on.

Any inquiry is either going to end in

a. going to be forgotten about
b. a small sacrificial lamb will be offered
c. the police will say not enough evidence

IMHO

Last edited by mrmistoffelees; 08-12-2021 at 16:21.
Old 08-12-2021, 16:40   #42
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-new...gives-12469075

Premise 1 - we have been repeatedly told "there was no party"

Quote:
In repeatedly denying a bash ever took place ("there was no Christmas party", we were told), the prime minister, his senior ministers and spokespeople seem to have lied albeit unwittingly.

During a tense briefing of journalists this afternoon, Boris Johnson's two spokespeople refused to say who was responsible for giving the PM incorrect "assurances" that no event had taken place.

They were also unable to confirm whether top civil servant Simon Case was in attendance at the bash, even though he is the man tasked with investigating it.

Government sources later clarified he (Simon Case) was not present.

Boris Johnson's spokespeople did say, however, that the PM was not a guest at the party.
In summary, it has been confirmed by Government sources that both Simon Case and Boris Johnson did not attend the party that the Government sources said didn’t happen…

(I wonder if these "No. 10 spokespeople who seem to have lied albeit unwittingly" were attendees at the party that didn’t happen, as the (non-)party was held at No. 10?)
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 08-12-2021 at 16:43.
Old 08-12-2021, 16:42   #43
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
I can't argue with that to be honest. If any sort of household mixing were to be introduced I'd like to think i'd go along with it, but if i'm honest I'd just carry on as normal.

There could only really be a fatal blow to Boris from this if he were directly implicated, and (so far at least) he doesn’t appear to be. This further erodes his moral authority as a leader but it isn’t the coup de grace. I actually thought Starmer got a good line in for once, referencing the Queen at Philip’s funeral, but he was working the moral authority line, not trying to claim direct culpability.

There is a larger plan at work here, by well-placed persons unknown, to drip-feed material into the public domain that will eventually fatally undermine Boris even without a smoking gun directly implicating him in something. It’s the death of a thousand cuts, nipping and slicing away until everyone is left wondering why on earth he’s still in charge. At that point someone will challenge him for the leadership.
Old 08-12-2021, 16:46   #44
mrmistoffelees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
There could only really be a fatal blow to Boris from this if he were directly implicated, and (so far at least) he doesn’t appear to be. This further erodes his moral authority as a leader but it isn’t the coup de grace. I actually thought Starmer got a good line in for once, referencing the Queen at Philip’s funeral, but he was working the moral authority line, not trying to claim direct culpability.

There is a larger plan at work here, by well-placed persons unknown, to drip-feed material into the public domain that will eventually fatally undermine Boris even without a smoking gun directly implicating him in something. It’s the death of a thousand cuts, nipping and slicing away until everyone is left wondering why on earth he’s still in charge. At that point someone will challenge him for the leadership.
I'll give you the queen line, i'd forgotten about that....

Allegra Stratton resigns, the sacrificial lamb?
Old 08-12-2021, 16:48   #45
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
I'll give you the queen line, i'd forgotten about that....

Allegra Stratton resigns, the sacrificial lamb?
I think they have no choice but to give her the boot. That recording is absolutely damning. I’m not certain it will draw a line under things though. It’s open season on Boris and his administration now, and every hack in Westminster will be hunting for the next morsel.
Closed Thread