Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Moving modem.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service

Moving modem.

Old 12-08-2022, 13:19   #1
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
Moving modem.

This is about our inevitable move over to VoIP.

I've not had any notification yet but I have been trying to work out how it can work for us. Currently we have our 3 hub and a V6 next to our main TV in the sittingroom. Moving our main phone anywhere near to the hub isn't possible, however the phone could be moved next to our 2nd V6/tv which is connected to a cable which was run around the ouside walls from the Brown VM box on the front of our house.

I have been tempted to just move the hub and see if it would work but knowing my luck I would just bugger up things and have no connection whatsoever and still not know whether it would work if it was done 'properly'. Scared timerous mouse mode fully engaged.

Runing an extention lead from the hub in it's current position to the phone which is now in our hall would be a nightmare as it would have to be rooted along about 20ft+ of walls, around 4 doors and under our stairs.

Just in case it's of any relevance the phone connection is via a thin cable (thinner than the cables to the 3 modem/V6's) which runs from outside the house into a square Nynex box which I think dates back to our original cable install in 1968/9.
Old 12-08-2022, 15:38   #2
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Moving modem.

Virgin Media do offer an engineer visit if for whatever reason your current home setup doesn't support your needs once you're moved over to the Hub based line.
Old 12-08-2022, 16:03   #3
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

I assume you have a splitter on the main TV box to Modem. Just remove the modem splitter and cable running to the modem and use what is left on the tv box then set the second box up as the downstairs set up was
Jaymoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 16:50   #4
joglynne
Born again teenager.

joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Virgin Media do offer an engineer visit if for whatever reason your current home setup doesn't support your needs once you're moved over to the Hub based line.
We need our phone to work and having to wait to have an engineer vist after the phone no longer works is not a scenario I want to have to deal with.

Does your answer mean I just can't move the modem ( +splitter and cable) across to our other V6?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
I assume you have a splitter on the main TV box to Modem. Just remove the modem splitter and cable running to the modem and use what is left on the tv box then set the second box up as the downstairs set up was
Yes there is a splitter, I sused that out earlier before I got into STM mode
I am just worried that doing what you have said wouldn't work because the modem is directly linked to a single V6 and that we would need some sort of signal? from VM to make it work with our other V6.

Thank you both for responding to my post. xx
Old 12-08-2022, 18:00   #5
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
We need our phone to work and having to wait to have an engineer vist after the phone no longer works is not a scenario I want to have to deal with.
I mean before your phone stops working

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/landline/switchover

Quote:
When to book a free technician visit
  • You rely on your landline for accessibility needs or don’t have a mobile to make an emergency call – we’ll provide you with an Emergency Back Up Line so you’re always able to call emergency services.
  • You’ve got connected devices such as a burglar alarm linked to a control centre, use a telecare device, or have other phones connected to extension sockets.
  • You’ll need to contact your provider and let them know about the switch if you have any of these to make sure they’re compatible with a fibre service.
  • The Hub and phone can’t be placed near each other.
Old 12-08-2022, 18:13   #6
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Thanks Ben. Just hoped I could just transfer the modem before the switchover and avoid having to have an engineer come out if all they had to do was what Jay suggested. If the phone was already in place it would let my husband get used to it's new location well before he has to get used to not getting a dialling tone.

Living with an entrenched technophobe can be very trying at times. <<sigh>>