Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Freeware Alternative Software List

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

Freeware Alternative Software List

Old 15-01-2008, 09:23   #106
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
Re: Freeware Alternative Software List

PDA software
http://www.freewareppc.com/
this new app is rather a cool idea for PDAs that have a better wireless reception than your current wireless desktop cards for instance.
http://www.freewareppc.com/communica...firouter.shtml

http://www.pocketpcsoft.net/
http://www.mobiletopsoft.com/
popper is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-02-2008, 00:08   #107
ronald146m
Inactive

ronald146m is a splendid one to beholdronald146m is a splendid one to beholdronald146m is a splendid one to beholdronald146m is a splendid one to beholdronald146m is a splendid one to beholdronald146m is a splendid one to beholdronald146m is a splendid one to beholdronald146m is a splendid one to beholdronald146m is a splendid one to behold

Hi

This is a very useful thread.
I've looked through it and haven't seen a specific recommendation for an audio and video file converter.

So I'm suggesting WinFF.

It's based on a program called ffmpeg, a fast converter used with Linux which converts (almost) anything to anything.

WinFF is ffmpeg with a GUI. There's versions for Windows (95-Vista) and also Linux.
The program has several 'pre-sets' for commonly used jobs. You can tweak them or create new ones if you like.

It's a free download from Bigg Matt's website. Here:-http://biggmatt.com/
ronald146m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 17:21   #108
boymartin1934
Inactive

boymartin1934 is on a distinguished roadboymartin1934 is on a distinguished road

I hope this site is of value to someone!!

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2704,2260070,00.asp

Regards to all!
Boymartin1934
boymartin1934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2008, 16:46   #109
boymartin1934
Inactive

boymartin1934 is on a distinguished roadboymartin1934 is on a distinguished road

Another site that maybe useful to someone!

http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/...e-stuff_1.html

Regards to all!
Boymartin1934
boymartin1934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 16:56   #110
Web-Junkie
Inactive

Services: 30mb BB
Web-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpack

Some Free Stuff I find useful

CD/DVD Burning: Imgburn 2.4.0.0
info:
Quote:
ImgBurn is a lightweight CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application
that everyone should have in their toolkit!

It has several 'Modes', each one for performing a different task:

• Read - Read a disc to an image file
• Build - Create an image file from files on your computer or network or you can write the files directly to a disc
• Write - Write an image file to a disc
• Verify - Check a disc is 100% readable. Optionally, you can also have ImgBurn compare it against a given image file to ensure the actual data is correct
• Discovery - Put your drive / media to the test! Used in combination with DVDInfoPro, you can check the quality of the burns your drive is producing
Disk Defrag: Auslogics Disk Defrag
Info:
Quote:
Disk fragmentation leads to system slowdowns, PC crashes, slow startups and shutdowns. Auslogics Disk Defrag® is designed for fast optimization of modern hard disks.
E-Mail Checker: Email Remover 3.0 Don't forget the free Registration key!!
Info:
Quote:
Kill spam before they get to you. Email Remover can save you the trouble of downloading unwanted email. It connects to your ISP and retrieves mail header information (sender, subject, date, etc.), letting you pick mail you don't want to receive and deleting it from the mail server. It will optionally run your regular email client when it's done so that you can transfer and read the mail you do want. Email Remover is a handy little spam blocker in the never-ending battle against spam -- and it's free!
E-Mail Checker: POP Peeper
Info:
Quote:
POP Peeper is an email notifier that runs in your Windows task bar and alerts you when you have new email on your POP3, IMAP (with IDLE support), Hotmail\MSN\LiveMail, Yahoo, GMail, Mail.com, MyWay, Excite, Lycos.com, RediffMail, Juno and NetZero accounts. IMAP supports allows you to access AOL, AIM, Netscape and other services. Send mail directly from POP Peeper and use the address book to email your frequently used contacts. POP Peeper allows you to view messages using HTML or you can choose to safely view all messages in rich or plain text. Several options are available that will decrease or eliminate the risks of reading your email (viruses, javascript, webbugs, etc). POP Peeper can be run from a portable device and can be password protected. Many notification options are availble to indicate when new mail has arrived, such as sound alerts (configurable for each account), flashing scroll lock, skinnable popup notifier, customized screensaver and more.
File Downloader: Flashget 1.9.6 and Flashget Classic 1.7.3
Info:
Quote:
FlashGet is a leading download manager and has the highest amount of users on the internet. It uses MHT(Multi-server Hyper-threading Transportation) technique, supports various protocols and has excellent document management features. FlashGet is a freeware without any adware or spyware.
Hex Editor: Hedit 3.0
Info:
Quote:
Yuri Software HEdit 3.0 offers a rich set of features:

• Overwrite, insert, or delete bytes in the file.
• Jump to any offset within the file.
• Search for data patterns.
• Search-and-replace.
• Support for files >2 GB in size. Files of any size open instantaneously.
• EBCDIC character display.
• Integer and floating point numeric displays in little and big endians.
• Print hex views of files or selections.
Photo Album Creator: JAlbum If Java already installed you can download a smaller installer, otherwise use the Precompiled version.
Info:
Quote:
Jalbum consists of free album software, free hosting and a creative community. With Jalbum it's easy to create your own photo album site. Just the way you want it.
Web Downloader: Web Reaper
Info:
Quote:
WebReaper is web crawler or spider, which can work its way through a website, downloading pages, pictures and objects that it finds so that they can be viewed locally, without needing to be connected to the internet. The sites can be saved locally as a fully-browsable website which can be viewed with any browser (such as Internet Explorer, Netscape, Opera, etc), or they can be saved into the Internet Explorer cache and viewed using IE's offline mode as if the you'd surfed the sites 'by hand'.WebReaper is web crawler or spider, which can work its way through a website, downloading pages, pictures and objects that it finds so that they can be viewed locally, without needing to be connected to the internet. The sites can be saved locally as a fully-browsable website which can be viewed with any browser (such as Internet Explorer, Netscape, Opera, etc), or they can be saved into the Internet Explorer cache and viewed using IE's offline mode as if the you'd surfed the sites 'by hand'.
Windows Tweaker: XP-Antispy Also works in Vista!
info:
Quote:
xp-AntiSpy is a neat little utility to automatically apply different settings to the operating system, which could also be done by hand, but at a higher expense of time.
These all run on Windows XP, but should run OK under Vista!
Web-Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 11:21   #111
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

This is a good summary site :
http://www.techsupportalert.com/best..._utilities.htm

Check out Comodo for security software especially a highly rated firewall. Note that I've only just put v3 on one XP box and it seems to slow network that I did not see in v2.

I like The GIMP for image editing and Irfanview for viewing. Both can handle RAW images from my camera.

Open Office for not paying more money to Uncle Bill to edit docs and so on. I do find somethings here a pain though.

Generally though I like to go the whole hog and use Linux then even the OS is free. Hardware support is much better as is user experience than used to be the case. I like OpenSUSE but also have used Kubuntu (I prefer KDE to Gnome) and Gentoo. I've dropped the latter for the moment.
Old 07-04-2008, 16:50   #112
jennifer
Permanently Banned

jennifer is an unknown quantity at this point

Can I also add www.dirfile.com, that's a great site from which I downloaded many useful things.
jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 17:09   #113
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
Open Office for not paying more money to Uncle Bill to edit docs and so on. I do find somethings here a pain though.

Or, if you use Mac OSX and want a version with a user interface that is better integrated into OSX (the standard OpenOffice uses X11 which works, but isn't well integrated), use neo office (http://www.neooffice.org ).
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2008, 17:30   #114
markshaz1
Inactive

markshaz1 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi ,i have just recieved a digi reciever "the box super" which needs the latest software as its been sold to me i pre flashmode can anybody help ???
markshaz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2008, 17:59   #115
Scrubbs
cf.mega poster

Services: phone,BB20meg ,telly
Scrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appeal
Scrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by markshaz1 View Post
hi ,i have just recieved a digi reciever "the box super" which needs the latest software as its been sold to me i pre flashmode can anybody help ???

Is this one of those boxes where you connect it to the cable connection and the box unscrambles all the channels for free?

Old Age And Treachery Will Defeat Youth and Enthusiasm Everytime.
Scrubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2008, 17:59   #116
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by markshaz1 View Post
Simple: You rent another box from Virgin.

Using a box you have bought on Virgin's network is against Terms and Conditions. As such, we will *not* allow discussion of how to obtain services this way.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2008, 18:08   #117
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

If you want a cataloguing app for Linux that'll handle books, DVDs, CDs & more then have a look at Tellico.

Currently using it to catalogue my music collection. Point it at a music folder & it will automatically import id3 tag data (recursively), point it at a CD & it will download details from a CDDB source. It can also import or link to cover images, print reports etc...

A brilliant program, plus the author is approachable for help or suggestions for features
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2008, 19:27   #118
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Services: Canal Digital: 50/10
Druchii has a nice shiny star
Druchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny star

Crap Cleaner or Ccleaner is an excellent free registry cleaning tool, that also clears out crap and temporary files etc...

www.ccleaner.com/

Also, Pirisoft Defraggler, although in Beta stages this defragmenting tool is excellent, it has the option to defragment files individually (i.e. the fragmented files only) or the whole drive, (which speeds everything up).
Also removes fraggles... I think... (if they even exist...)
www.defraggler.com/
Druchii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2008, 20:45   #119
Scrubbs
cf.mega poster

Services: phone,BB20meg ,telly
Scrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appeal
Scrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druchii;34532849
Also removes fraggles... I think... (if they even exist...)
[URL="http://www.defraggler.com/"
www.defraggler.com/[/URL]

if they do, I bet they ROCK

Old Age And Treachery Will Defeat Youth and Enthusiasm Everytime.
Scrubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2008, 20:56   #120
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Services: Canal Digital: 50/10
Druchii has a nice shiny star
Druchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrubbs View Post
if they do, I bet they ROCK
Had to look that one up

Gotta say i'm actually laughing now
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fraggle_Rock
Druchii is offline   Reply With Quote