Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | outlook sending problem

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service > Webspace, E-Mail & Browsing Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar

ftp server on home computer

Old 22-01-2008, 21:02   #1
stevepen
Inactive

stevepen is an unknown quantity at this point
ftp server on home computer

i am currently trying to set up a server ,using my ip address that i have registered as a domain name with dns.
However when using various ftp programs i keep getting login/password errors and connection failed
Can anyone confirm if this is down to virgin blocking my ip address
my setup is pc connected direct to 2mb cable modem,with no router and firewalls disabled.
cheers
stevepen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-01-2008, 21:04   #2
Wicked_and_Crazy
cf.mega poster

Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Wicked_and_Crazy Send a message via Yahoo to Wicked_and_Crazy
Re: ftp server on home computer

I use my NAS drive as an FTP server behind my router on a Virgin connection
Wicked_and_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2008, 21:06   #3
kryogenik

No blocking going on - I have one set up and have for many years.
Make sure your firewall isn't blocking the connection and you've forwarded the port if you use a router.
Old 22-01-2008, 21:23   #4
stevepen
Inactive

stevepen is an unknown quantity at this point

with confirmation that the problem is not with virgin,does anyone have a dummies guide to setup a ftp server.
cheers
stevepen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2008, 21:34   #5
kryogenik

Just type it into Google.
First link looks good.
Old 22-01-2008, 23:12   #6
cleshe
Inactive

Services: virgin 4Mbs ,now upgraded to 10Mbps
cleshe is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevepen View Post
i am currently trying to set up a server ,using my ip address that i have registered as a domain name with dns.
However when using various ftp programs i keep getting login/password errors and connection failed
Can anyone confirm if this is down to virgin blocking my ip address
my setup is pc connected direct to 2mb cable modem,with no router and firewalls disabled.
cheers
I ran one(ftp server) for 3 years using WS_FtpServer, but when I put a router into the circuit I could no longer connect. Kept getting the same sort of problems you are having. Tried setting up the router as per manufacturers instructions , no can do.3 different routers, same problem . Three different manufacturer's "helpline" people tried to sort me, as did those from Ipswitch , who market WS_FtpServer, all gave up and said it must be a problem with my ISP.
Tried again yesterday. With computer connected direct to modem it worked, with the router in circuit it didn't.
I was/ am using a domain name from FreeDNS.
Sorry,I have no idea why you cannot do it direct to the modem.It works that way for me, with Zone Alarm as firewall,providing I have the ip range and computer's ip address correctly shown.
I take it you have checked that you can connect to your Server program using your loopback adapter's address?From the same computer that is.

Incidentally if the ones who have managed to make it work with a router in circuit would kindly tell me how they managed it, I would be extremely grateful.I've failed with D_Link, Linksys, Belkin and Allied Telysyn(my present router), with and without the help of each firm's technicians.Oh, I'm using Windows 2000Pro.
cleshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2008, 23:34   #7
Tricky
Inactive

Services: $KY+HD - BT Infinity
Tricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful one

Might be a daft question but can you connect into FTP from the computer itself. I.e. Take network out of the picture?

Are you running XP with Service Pack 2 - Firewall might be on and blocking 21

I have always used filezilla in the past without issues
Tricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2008, 23:52   #8
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

If you put a router into the mix you need to forward the port you use for FTP to the Internal IP of the computer running the server
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2008, 23:59   #9
cleshe
Inactive

Services: virgin 4Mbs ,now upgraded to 10Mbps
cleshe is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph View Post
If you put a router into the mix you need to forward the port you use for FTP to the Internal IP of the computer running the server
Believe me I have tried to do just that. So have the "help" technicians from 4 different router manufacturers. I've wasted hours and pounds trying. Frustrated is understating how I feel about it.I keep getting "cannot connect" messages, and one's telling me the name/ password is wrong.
cleshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2008, 00:07   #10
kryogenik

Pounds??! How?
Tech lines?

If you're struggling *that* much, spend the money at Servage - and ditch the home FTP idea because you're obviously not adept enough to pull it off.
Old 23-01-2008, 09:23   #11
AbyssUnderground
cf.mega poster

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, HH5, synced at maximum 80Mbps/20Mbps.
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to AbyssUnderground

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryogenik View Post
Pounds??! How?
Tech lines?

If you're struggling *that* much, spend the money at Servage - and ditch the home FTP idea because you're obviously not adept enough to pull it off.
Personal experience with Servage makes me not recommend them. They tend to delete any RAR's, ZIP's and EXE's you upload "incase they are copyright material". I wasted 6 months (£35) with them and got about 2 days before I found out I couldn't even store these files on their service, DESPITE asking in an e-mail before hand.

They can't give you something that cheap and expect it to be good.

If you want, I'll help you set up the ftp having done it myself hundreds of times. Best way is via MSN if you use it. PM me for my address.
AbyssUnderground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2008, 10:05   #12
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Thought: does the router have it's own ftp service, that may interfere?

Can you try ssh? If that works then the you may be able to use scp or sftp as I think these are a tad easier to work on than plain ftp. It's also encrypted so more secure.

Try a scan on the external router address to see if the port is open, there are web scans available, often from firewall manf's.

Also I'd set another port other than 21 on the external router and forward that to port 21 on the server eg external:7021 --> server:21.
Old 23-01-2008, 10:13   #13
SOSAGES
Inactive

SOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of society

before i can help i need to know - what ftp server software you are running.
SOSAGES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2008, 11:53   #14
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

get yourself a spare old PC,put a large drive or two in there, put it on your LAN,grab a copy of the FreeNAS liveCD for the ready made FTP server part and boot it, activate FTP and test it locally from your LAN side machines, and the webside WAN IP as well.
http://www.freenas.org/

assuming the IP on your LAN for the freeNAS box is 192.168.0.11 then go to your router and make the ports 20,21,23 forward to/from that 192.168.0.11 machine.

tell us the VM webside WAN URL of the freeNAS ftp and someone here will see if they can connect to it ,up and download files externally, once its working (re)set your password and use it.

some easy reading
http://www.allaboutjake.com/network/linksys/ftp/
http://www.allaboutjake.com/network/linksys/bpftp/

http://www.allaboutjake.com/network/linksys/mtu/
"
Are you using a LinkSys router, running DSL PPPoE and having trouble serving *some* clients on ftp, http, smtp, IRC-DCC, VNC or anything else requiring forwarded ports? Read on for a very possible cure…

The easiest solution is to set the server PC to an MTU of 1492. If this doesn’t work, try less (1362 seems to be another PPPoE value). If an MTU of 200 doesn’t work, look elsewhere for the problem.
..."
popper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2008, 15:19   #15
kryogenik

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbyssUnderground View Post
Personal experience with Servage makes me not recommend them. They tend to delete any RAR's, ZIP's and EXE's you upload "incase they are copyright material"

I use .rar and .zip files all the time as do my clients who ftp stuff onto the server - I have never experienced this in over 12 months of being with them.
In fact, some of the content has been there for that amount of time and remains untouched. It's all copyrighted material too as that's what my job entails.