Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | outlook sending problem

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service > Webspace, E-Mail & Browsing Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Frontpage 2003 upload to NTL webspace

Old 19-05-2004, 14:48   #1
MJB
Inactive

MJB is on a distinguished roadMJB is on a distinguished road
Frontpage 2003 upload to NTL webspace

What am I doing wrong!!!!

In the settings for FP2003 I'm selecting FTP and entering ftp://upload.ntlworld.com/homepage.n...d.com/username - but after it prompts me for my NTL username and password is says the NTL ftp doesn't exist.

Help appreciated on this.
MJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-05-2004, 14:55   #2
Bifta
Inactive

Bifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny star
Bifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny star
Re: Frontpage 2003 upload to NTL webspace

you don't need anything upload.ntlworld.com afaik, the username and password will dictate which account you're uploading to.
Bifta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2004, 15:14   #3
Chris W
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Broadband Size M
Chris W has a nice shiny star
Chris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Chris W

as bifta says, you should just need to use upload.ntlworld.com as the ftp address, and the un and pw that you were given.

If it is not working, try browsing to ftp://username:password@upload.ntlworld.com

Bear in mind also that the ntl webspace does not support frontpage extensions
Chris W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2004, 21:07   #4
MJB
Inactive

Thanks for the info. I didn't know about the non-support of extensions. Rather put the mockers on it
Old 19-05-2004, 21:52   #5
Chris W
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Broadband Size M
Chris W has a nice shiny star
Chris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Chris W

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB
Thanks for the info. I didn't know about the non-support of extensions. Rather put the mockers on it
check out the packages from i-websolutions... for 99p a month you can't go wrong and they support front page extensions, cgi, php... the whole lot. service is great too
Chris W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2004, 22:12   #6
MJB
Inactive

I already use a package supplied with another web site I have (NetObjects Fusion). I was just trying to get FP to work....... Guess I'll stick to what I know!
Old 12-02-2008, 15:37   #7
lewy08
Inactive

lewy08 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum but I have a similar problem.

I use Frontpage 2003, and have NTL (Virgin) cable and I want to upload my pages to my NTL space.

I have done so in the past with ease but i've had a system problem and re-inserting my ftp address etc, does not appear to be giving me what i need.

In the "remote website properties" i'm using the 'FTP' option, inserting the 'ftp://upload.ntlworld.com' address. IF and when it asks for the username and password, it accepts it and continues to search the site stating "Listing subsites in ftp://upload.ntlworld.com.

But it never stops searching, i have to manually 'stop' it.

Can anyone shed any light on the matter?

(I'm aware that NTL doesn't support FPage Ext's but I'm just trying to upload a basic page to ensure my settings are correct before I spend anymore time building them again)

---------- Post added at 15:37 ---------- Previous post was at 15:29 ----------

this time i left it running whilst browsing for help.

after approx 20 mins it timeouts and says:

could not find a webserver at 'upload.ntlworld.com' on port 21.

what will this mean?
lewy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2008, 16:43   #8
lewy08
Inactive

is there no sanity out there?
Old 05-03-2008, 16:39   #9
lewy08
Inactive

i guess not!!
Old 05-03-2008, 16:43   #10
AntiSilence
Inactive

Services: C#/ASP.NET Web Development
AntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronze
AntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronze

Well it's most likely a problem with the FTP server. Have you also tried using a different FTP application, such as CuteFTP/SmartFTP/FileZilla?
AntiSilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 17:25   #11
lewy08
Inactive

thank you for your response...

i dont think it is FP as i've used it in the past

also i think i've inserted the correct addresses now as my files are showing up on the remote site side of the page...

but now i am still getting the "port 21" msg when i try to upload, and i have tried to ensure my network hub is allowing port 21, as far as i can tell it is...

do you think it could be the network hub software or something else blocking it?
Old 05-03-2008, 20:11   #12
AntiSilence
Inactive

AntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronze
AntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronze

Port 21 is the standard port for FTP so most routers/firewalls etc allow communications through. If your files are showing as on the remote site, I'm not sure what could be causing that.
Old 05-03-2008, 21:05   #13
homealone

try just putting the server as upload.ntlworld.com

- i.e. without the ftp:// part

- also make sure that your user name is just the name & doesn't include the @ntlworld.com part

- I just set up a connection to my (ex) NTL webspace using FireFTP & it worked fine, but I haven't a clue about Front Page, sorry.
Old 05-03-2008, 21:07   #14
AntiSilence
Inactive

Yes, don't use the ftp:// part, I thought that it was FP putting that bit onto the address lol.

I use SmartFTP and it connects fine to upload.ntlworld.com
Old 07-03-2008, 13:13   #15
lewy08
Inactive

ok, i'll give it a try without the ftp://

thanks for the advice

---------- Post added at 13:13 ---------- Previous post was at 13:10 ----------

when i try to amend the address and click 'ok' it doesn't accept it, so i think it does need the 'ftp://' in front