Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Best Router to Use with Home Hub 3

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Best Router to Use with Home Hub 3

Old 10-09-2018, 21:59   #16
jay152
Inactive

jay152 is on a distinguished roadjay152 is on a distinguished road
Re: Best Router to Use with Home Hub 3

I have iptv app and home camera app on my phone there wouldn't be any issues through this Asus router or home hub 3 would there?

Cheers
jay152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-09-2018, 22:10   #17
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Nope, the other thing you can think of doing as well is setting up some sort of addressing scheme on your network so you know which device is which just by looking at the ip address. The router doesnt have to be 192.168.1.1 for example and you can assign addresses to all your known devices such as pcs, printers, phones, tv.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 22:13   #18
jay152
Inactive

Thank you so much if you had the ££££ would you pay the £50
Extra mate for the better router?
Old 10-09-2018, 22:38   #19
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

I would have done if i could. I did a lot of reading at the time and that was pretty much the best router money could buy but i wanted a new router, 3 hdds and a graphics card so i had to make some tough decisions. I still love my ac68u though.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:35   #20
jay152
Inactive

Ok brilliant thanks once again so the one you would have got will definitely be easy to setup and fully compatiablr via home hub 3?
Old 11-09-2018, 09:06   #21
General Maximus
Ran Away

ya, although it isn't so much as what is compatible with the shub 3, it is what the shub is compatible with. You can be 99.9% sure that if you ever have a networking issue it is the shub that is the problem but that is more to do with general stability and quality rather than compatibility problems. There are international standards it has to comply with to guarantee it will work with other devices but the whole point of putting it in modem mode is that you are getting it to do as little as possible, not getting it to do any real networking stuff and leaving it all to a proper router.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:33   #22
jay152
Inactive

Sound advice ����

I knew this was the place to ask and get good feedback
Old 11-09-2018, 09:49   #23
General Maximus
Ran Away

tbh it is just as refreshing for us to see people actually take the advice. Many people come on moaning about the shub and asking for advice and when I say the only solution is to buy a proper router they aren't interested. People want magic for free.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:55   #24
jay152
Inactive

Trust me I really do value your opinion and anyone else nice enough to dedicate their time to actually HELPING people like me on here. You do it because your good people and clearly very knowledgeable. At the end of the day I’m here to find out / learn and greatful for anything positive or negative said.

You can’t please all the people all the time and some people just like a good moan lol

Your all doing great on here keep up the GREAT WORK.

Thanks again

Jason
Old 11-09-2018, 14:07   #25
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
Asus routers are awesome and have different modes you can use them in and you can specifically set to them serve as a wireless access point and use AI Mesh to create a mesh wifi network to work in conjunction with another Asus router. If I was you I would get the AC68u and have it on one side of the house (upstairs/downstairs) as your main router and get this to use as a wireless access point and have it on the other side of the house upstairs/downstairs.
To create an imesh you need two ASUS routers that support it. The AC88U definitely does, but you would need another. I was looking into this, but none of the routers with this ability come cheap.

The cheaper option, if you still haven't got good coverage after following our earlier advice, is to invest in a TP Link as described above to cover your not spots.

Last edited by roughbeast; 11-09-2018 at 14:13.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 14:16   #26
jay152
Inactive

Thanks rough beast will do
Old 11-09-2018, 14:18   #27
mikep
cf.member

mikep is an unknown quantity at this point

If you do go with the asus router route I would recommend using the merlin firmware.
( https://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/ )
mikep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 14:25   #28
jay152
Inactive

Hi thanks but going to literally keep it as simple as possible with standard firmware I have no expertise at all and need it literally plug and go
Old 11-09-2018, 14:26   #29
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay152 View Post
Hi thanks but going to literally keep it as simple as possible with standard firmware I have no expertise at all and need it literally plug and go
That's the wise course at this point.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 22:55   #30
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
To create an imesh you need two ASUS routers that support it.
my ac68u does and I assumed all Asus routers did. Doesn't matter though, the cheaper £50 one I linked to would still serve a decent wireless access point.