Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Brexit (Old)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Brexit (Old)
Closed Thread

Old 17-10-2018, 10:06   #1921
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Re: Brexit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
It's not up to a Brexiteer to come up with workable solution - however, you keep posting such nonsense because, for your information, a few leading Brexiteers have come up with easy and workable solutions. It's yet again, hard faced Remainers trying to weaponise the Northern Ireland border issue, to thwart or stop Brexit.

Desperate, desperate and very pathetic.
you mean with technology that does not exist aye easy solution NOT if they was a easy solution we have a deal and probably would left by now

Last edited by Dave42; 17-10-2018 at 10:14.
Advertisement
Old 17-10-2018, 11:28   #1922
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbxx View Post
I am a little confused by this... Let me see if I have this straight;
  • We leave in March 2019
  • The EU offered a transition until the end of 2020 which is when the new budget cycle starts
  • Theresa May states that she expects a trade deal to be in place by December 2021
  • Barnier suggests to EU 27 a year extension to the transition, taking us to December 2021 (see FT link posted up there ^^^)

Didn't we just get what we wanted there?

I can see why an open ended transition is toxic politically but I think there is a need to show that any proposed solution to the Northern Ireland/Republic problem has a firm timeline.
I would agree that "we" got what we wanted in terms of a time safety net.

BUT …. TM has been forced to go back on her December 2017 backstop declaration that the UK would indefinitely remain in the CU in the absence of a future relationship deal with the EU.

There is no reason for optimism that the EU would assist in reaching a long term deal with the UK on any timeline, especially if we are tied into their CU.

You've turned the border argument on its head by saying there is a need to show that any proposed solution to the Northern Ireland/Republic problem has a firm timeline. The problem here is if the EU doesn't agree a solution within that so called "firm timeline", we would be tied to the CU.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 17-10-2018, 11:28   #1923
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
It's not up to a Brexiteer to come up with workable solution - :
Well they said it wouldn't be a problem so given the tight deadline it would be nice if they told us what they had in mind.
Old 17-10-2018, 11:48   #1924
Gavin78
Ice Cold

Services: XL TV M Phone 200MB BB
Gavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these parts

It's simple really either Europe allows a trade deal or it doesn't. Having a trade deal benefits all sides. Europe will be damaged just as much as the UK it's not like we are a new country that has just joined the EU we have been a member for a long time and have deep routes with Europe.

Europe in this case could and can make exceptions rather than holding every country to ransom that is a member state. I can see the only way forward now is a no deal and do talks after we have left as all the EU will do is stretch out talks so that they will get another 8 Billion pound payment from us before we leave and then demand another 50B divorce settlement.

It's about time May started getting some balls and basically say to Europe this is what we want there is no negotiating on it take or leave it.

If they want to stand hard and fast they stuff them.
Old 17-10-2018, 12:17   #1925
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Time to say to the EU, either you want a deal or you don't. As apparently they don't want a deal, withdraw from any negotiations until they came back with a serious and sensible proposal.
Old 17-10-2018, 12:25   #1926
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
Time to say to the EU, either you want a deal or you don't. As apparently they don't want a deal, withdraw from any negotiations until they came back with a serious and sensible proposal.
Well said. Should have been done last year.[ As ever, I pray in aid the words of Yanis Varoufakis on how the EU negotiates.

My advice is at your risk.

Last edited by Sephiroth; 17-10-2018 at 13:40.
Old 17-10-2018, 12:47   #1927
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Well they said it wouldn't be a problem so given the tight deadline it would be nice if they told us what they had in mind.
Who is "they"?

I am Brexiteer who exercised my democratic right to vote to leave the EU - that is where my responsibility ended.

I am not in Government to enact the result or carry out the choice that was decided.
Old 17-10-2018, 12:55   #1928
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Who is "they"?

I am Brexiteer who exercised my democratic right to vote to leave the EU - that is where my responsibility ended.

I am not in Government to enact the result or carry out the choice that was decided.
Not you. The politicians who advocated leaving and had responsibility for the Vote Leave platform.
Old 17-10-2018, 13:09   #1929
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Not you. The politicians who advocated leaving and had responsibility for the Vote Leave platform.
They were not all in position to enact the result either.

I have said this repeatedly - Vote Leave was a campaign to leave the EU - it ceased to be that campaign on 24th June 2016, it was not down to them to enact the result, that is the government and at the time, that was David Cameron's.
Old 17-10-2018, 13:20   #1930
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
utter nonsense of course they want a deal they have always said a no deal is worse outcome for both it the Ireland border that hardest issue to deal with as no one has come up with a workable solution

yes the EU will lose a bit in a no deal but it UK that will fall of cliff edge and be and be only country in world with 0 trade deals and the pound will plummet much worse than it did when result to leave was announced
Old 17-10-2018, 13:23   #1931
Mick
Cable Forum Team

BREAKING: France drafts "No deal" Brexit law.

French Government publish its draft No Deal law on website of French Senate: “reestablishment of checks of goods and passengers” & “restoration of veterinary, sanitary, phytosanitary, safety controls & customs formalities”

https://news.sky.com/story/live-eu-c...ummit-11527852
Old 17-10-2018, 13:29   #1932
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Quote:
BREAKING: France drafts "No deal" Brexit law.

French Government publish its draft No Deal law on website of French Senate: “reestablishment of checks of goods and passengers” & “restoration of veterinary, sanitary, phytosanitary, safety controls & customs formalities”

https://news.sky.com/story/live-eu-c...ummit-11527852
I hope we are preparing as much as EU is because as I always said no deal is very likely indeed
Old 17-10-2018, 13:34   #1933
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
utter nonsense of course they want a deal they have always said a no deal is worse outcome for both it the Ireland border that hardest issue to deal with as no one has come up with a workable solution
This doesn't become true - no matter how many times you keep repeating the same crap.
Old 17-10-2018, 13:36   #1934
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Quote:
This doesn't become true - no matter how many times you keep repeating the same crap.
if was so easy why it not one person solved it just because you keep repeating it not true don't mean it isn't true it is both EU and UK have said so too

Last edited by Dave42; 17-10-2018 at 13:39.
Old 17-10-2018, 13:41   #1935
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
if was so easy why it no one person solved it just because you keep repeating it not true don't mean it isn't true it is
Who the hell is going to build a non-existent border that the EU said they don't want?

The Irish won't.

The UK won't so who will have jurisdiction, who will send soldiers to man a non-existent border noone wants ?
Closed Thread