Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | B&Q Satellite - Ross freesat box and dish

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview

B&Q Satellite - Ross freesat box and dish

Old 09-11-2010, 19:52   #226
MTJR
Inactive

MTJR is a jewel in the roughMTJR is a jewel in the roughMTJR is a jewel in the roughMTJR is a jewel in the roughMTJR is a jewel in the rough
Re: B&Q Satellite - Ross freesat box and dish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
What LNB settings are you using?
You'll have to forgive me as I'm not yet clued up on satellite dishes.

What I can say is that the LNB looks a bit like a shower head with the round circular receiving bit at the top. The cable comes out of the bottom but points somewhere between 6 and 7 o'clock.

As far as I can see in the menus there seem to be some LNB settings but I've been reluctant to touch them as there is an AUTO option. What it "autos" I have no idea.

The settings which specifically mention LNB are:

LNB Type - Universal (There are options for User or C Band)
LNB Low - 9750
LNB High - 10600
22Khz - AUTO (Options for ON or OFF also)

That seems to be about it.

John
MTJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-11-2010, 10:27   #227
midland58
Inactive

midland58 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've found BBC 3 and BBC 4 now. 3 was on the list as BBC TES 3 and 4 was on the list as cbeebies! (? shared channel because they are on at different times?). No reply as yet to my e-mail about the loose connection. May give them a ring and see if I strike lucky and they pick the phone up. By the way you can get the 6 BBCi satellite red button feeds they are grouped together somewhere in the late 200s. Good for F1 free practice and forum if they are bumped off the terrestrial red button.

---------- Post added at 09:27 ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 ----------

By the way - BBC 1 HD is FTA and available on the ross box. It has its own logo on screen.
midland58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 11:21   #228
MTJR
Inactive

MTJR is a jewel in the roughMTJR is a jewel in the roughMTJR is a jewel in the roughMTJR is a jewel in the roughMTJR is a jewel in the rough

On my box (the 8130) BBC3 and BBC4 are listed as their own channels (channels numbers 6 and 7). BBC3 seems to show CBeebies during the day and I've yet to see anything other than a black screen on BBC4 which seems mighty odd.

Maybe I got lucky when I rang them as, other than the long set of option questions, I got straight through. I called them about 4:30pm so maybe that had something to do with it.

The "e-mail" I sent (the Contact Us page) via the webpage seems to have disappeared into the ether. No acknowledgement or response.
Old 10-11-2010, 18:16   #229
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTJR View Post
You'll have to forgive me as I'm not yet clued up on satellite dishes.

What I can say is that the LNB looks a bit like a shower head with the round circular receiving bit at the top. The cable comes out of the bottom but points somewhere between 6 and 7 o'clock.

As far as I can see in the menus there seem to be some LNB settings but I've been reluctant to touch them as there is an AUTO option. What it "autos" I have no idea.

The settings which specifically mention LNB are:

LNB Type - Universal (There are options for User or C Band)
LNB Low - 9750
LNB High - 10600
22Khz - AUTO (Options for ON or OFF also)

That seems to be about it.

John
The settings you've entered are correct, I asked for them to check as getting the incorrect low/high and 22khztone settings can mean that you get some channels but not all
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 23:58   #230
MTJR
Inactive

I've received an answer re: BBC1 HD. On the 8130 model receiver you have to go to the MENU and then scroll down to TRANSPONDER LIST. Scroll down a bit further to the frequency marked 10847 (it's near the bottom of the first page) and then press the RED button to SCAN.

My box came up and said that there were 3 TV channels and 0 radio channels and offered the option to add them. Once it was done BBC1 HD appeared at the bottom of the channel list (press CH- when on BBC 1 to get to it easily).

Job done. By and large I've got the box working in the main with a few channel oddities to sort out and a large number of lessons learned along the way. Thanks for your help and advice people!

Interesting that nobody else has mentioned having the 8130 receiver. Don't know whether that means I got lucky or unlucky.

Along the way I've had a professional satellite firm turn down the chance of work claiming the Ross systems are "cheap and nasty" and "had nothing but problems with them". An odd way to react to the possibility of earning a few quid. Still, when I decide I need to upgrade I know one place where I won't be going to get my stuff.

John
Old 12-11-2010, 10:45   #231
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

I can see their point though. A few quid earned can pale into insignificance against the possibility of making repeat calls to support the installation and to try to convince the customer that the kit is dodgy, rather than the install job.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 12:34   #232
MTJR
Inactive

I don't see their point though.

If they know of these boxes and they also know of any potential issues then they can say something before they begin the job. They have enough equipment at their disposal to prove their point so I can't see why they would turn down the opportunity to earn some money and also a possible future customer.

The flip side being is whether there would be any possible repeat business once they've set it up but that would apply to any business in any particular field.

I also think they've missed a potential to "upgrade" me. Bring along a piece of kit that's going to impress me rather than bad mouthing the opposition. I'm obviously open to the idea of satellite so try and persuade me.
Old 12-11-2010, 13:44   #233
El En Bee
Inactive

El En Bee is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTJR View Post
According to the guy the 8130 is the HD Plus box and the 6110 isn't, He explained them as the "Sky Plus" and the "Sky" versions. Upshot is no update required.

John
John - would it be possible for you to provide any details on the 8130?

If it has been described as a HD Plus box - does it have dual input or 7 day EPG?

Many thanks.

Derek
El En Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 14:41   #234
MTJR
Inactive

Sure!

Physically the unit has an LNB in and thru connector. Two USB ports, one on the rear and one on the front with one HDMI socket. Just based on what other people have said the menu system seems different. Also, Tech Support confirmed that the upgrade on the website is not suitable for the 8130.

As for the specs on the unit I'll have to post them later.

John
Old 12-11-2010, 15:43   #235
El En Bee
Inactive

El En Bee is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that John!

The 6110 has the HDMI port and single USB port at the back. Strangely, the 6110 manual states that the USB port is at the front!

It'll be interesting to see the specs - wonder if an internal HDD could be added?
El En Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 17:06   #236
MTJR
Inactive

I doubt if there'd be enough space for a drive. In any case, fitting an internal drive would cause you to break the warranty seal.

The box it came in made sure you were in no doubt that the unit has NO 7-day EPG. Just now and next. The more I think about the techie's "Sky Plus" comment the more I'm confused by it.

Visually the box is black with a red LED display for the channel number, a red light to indicate power is getting to the unit and a yellow light above that to indicate it's either operating (light on) or not. There's a peculiar round button arrangement to the right of that which I've not had to use yet as the remote seems to do everything I need.

In MPEG2 Decoding the formats the 8130 is capable of are 480i/480p/576i/576p/720p and 1080i whilst audio decoding is MPEG-1, MPEG-2 (Layer I/II), AC-3 & E-AC-3 (both marked as optional) and HE-AAC (Levels 2&4). Dolby isn't mentioned at all by name.

Sampling frequency is listed as 32K/44.1K/48K.

That about covers it.

John
Old 12-11-2010, 19:15   #237
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

You would think that the FTA people would make a fortune by selling a FREESAT update firmware
Old 12-11-2010, 20:03   #238
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

I'm not sure it's quite that simple ... there are some pretty tightly-defined hardware specs for Freesat boxes, and the consortium has been working with each manufacturer individually to ensure they are adhered to (which is why Freesat receivers have been relatively slow to market and why some of the obvious consumer brand names are still missing).
Old 12-11-2010, 20:17   #239
Kymmy
Inactive

Adhere to spec?? Most are based on the same hardware decoding chipsets, the only diffrence is that freesat is channel locked and the epg is broadcast on a single transponder.. If it was a box connecting to a two way link I would agree but in these are just recievers
Old 12-11-2010, 20:18   #240
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Well, I don't know what goes on in meetings between Freesat and branded receiver manufacturers, but those meetings do happen, and have been happening since before the service launched ...