Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 22:12   #2941
Bobby's-Nutz
Permanently Banned

Bobby's-Nutz is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Ok guys I couldn’t resist posting on this blog.
Could someone please explain the point of this stupid p.r. stunt next Tuesday or can’t Bent Kent get it into his tiny little rootkit yet that it’s all over now? I do understand he may challenge our law but on what grounds? There are none.
You see there was previously no way even via ssl encryptions, browser privacy settings or opting out of it to block the intrusions entirely. Phorm could at anytime read anything it so chose to no matter how hard you fought against it therefore the law has ruled against him from setting up this elaborate scam as he’d planned. Mr. Erty Gerty thought he could buy the law out in this country but has learned a hard lesson in doing so, a £32million lesson no less and he’s dropped Bt fairly and squarely into the cess pit with himself in doing so.
Seriously now, would someone please enlighten me as to where the legal challenge is and why is this stupid idiot orchestrating these silly p.r. stunts next week?
I believe there is more to this thing than we’re being told.
Advertisement
Old 11-04-2008, 22:14   #2942
Draby
Inactive

Draby is on a distinguished roadDraby is on a distinguished road

Regarding Phorm as a "man in the middle" and able to see even https sites if they choose to.
Today I received in the post from Nationwide (whom I bank with), a battery powered card reader, that's not connected to my pc in anyway.

What happens is, I log in as usual to their secure site, select the third party I want to send a payment to, Nationwide then asks me to insert my debit card into the reader, which asks for the "atm" pin, then asks for the ref. no.that Nationwide gives me, plus the amount to pay.

Still with me? The reader gives me an eight digit number to enter on the website, and after confirming, the payment goes through.

So... it seems that Nationwide no longer, implicitly trusts https and ssl encryption, and has inserted an extra layer. I wonder if Phorm are the trigger for this, or just the (what seems to be), trend towards profiling of users via traffic interception. Does anyone know of other banks making similar moves?

Richard
Old 11-04-2008, 22:17   #2943
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff View Post
Probably all those Wii owners using iPlayer and eating up all the BBC's bandwidth

Alexander Hanff

---------- Post added at 22:05 ---------- Previous post was at 22:03 ----------

Anyway, Copyright section is now completed. Just the Council of Europe's Convention on Cybercrime and my conclusion to go Its been a long haul and I fear I will never be able to remove the OPSI logo from my retinas, but hopefully it has been worth it, I know it has for me.

Alexander Hanff
I'm sure everyone who cares about their privacy appreciates your efforts.

Thank you
Old 11-04-2008, 22:22   #2944
CaptJamieHunter
Inactive

CaptJamieHunter will become famous soon enoughCaptJamieHunter will become famous soon enoughCaptJamieHunter will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobbydaler View Post
I'm sure everyone who cares about their privacy appreciates your efforts.

Thank you
Seconded. I salute you, sir.
Old 11-04-2008, 22:35   #2945
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draby View Post
Regarding Phorm as a "man in the middle" and able to see even https sites if they choose to.
Today I received in the post from Nationwide (whom I bank with), a battery powered card reader, that's not connected to my pc in anyway.

What happens is, I log in as usual to their secure site, select the third party I want to send a payment to, Nationwide then asks me to insert my debit card into the reader, which asks for the "atm" pin, then asks for the ref. no.that Nationwide gives me, plus the amount to pay.

Still with me? The reader gives me an eight digit number to enter on the website, and after confirming, the payment goes through.

So... it seems that Nationwide no longer, implicitly trusts https and ssl encryption, and has inserted an extra layer. I wonder if Phorm are the trigger for this, or just the (what seems to be), trend towards profiling of users via traffic interception. Does anyone know of other banks making similar moves?

Richard
So now you will be sending the chip data, your pin and your on line banking pin to nationwide via the Phorm profiler.
When your card gets cloned and Nationwide turn around and say it is your loss as they knew the PIN can you go back to them and highlight that Phorm could have snooped it so Chip and Pin is no longer secure. I would have thought an RSA SecureID key would be more secure than this approach in many respects. Now you have a token and two shared secrets, both have alternate uses wheras with a SecureID you would still have a token and a secret, not much less secure and well the token cannot be cloned and put in an ATM or used to fill the car up.
Old 11-04-2008, 22:35   #2946
mark777
Inactive

Services: 0.4 Mbps BB + Phone
mark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby's-Nutz View Post
Ok guys I couldn’t resist posting on this blog.
Could someone please explain the point of this stupid p.r. stunt next Tuesday or can’t Bent Kent get it into his tiny little rootkit yet that it’s all over now? I do understand he may challenge our law but on what grounds? There are none.
Given that the meeting involves 80/20, I suspect it's all part of the privacy impact statement. Having said that, i'm sure they want to try to trip people up, probably over the legalities. They will certainly have something up their sleeves.

One thing that I think is likely to happen is, when challenging over the legal side, the anti-phorm challenger will be asked 'Are you a lawyer?'.

The Phorm side will then have someone stand up and say 'I'm a QC and I say you are wrong because ...'
Old 11-04-2008, 22:41   #2947
Ravenheart
Inactive

Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal
Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal

Quote:

Richard
Hi Richard,

Barclays have a similar scheme which they call PINSentry, you insert your card into the calculator like device and it gives you an 8 digit number to enter when logging into the online banking section, or if you're making a payment to someone new. I'm sure it's a similar thing to the nationwide one.

The PINSentry info is here http://www.barclays.co.uk/pinsentry/

I read somewhere that HSBC have plans for something similar too
Old 11-04-2008, 22:45   #2948
Draby
Inactive

@SMHarman
No, I don't think so, the card reader is not connected to anything, "chip & pin" just identifies me to the reader, I'm assuming the eight digit code is a form of encryption generated by the reader.
Old 11-04-2008, 22:45   #2949
Ravenheart
Inactive

Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal
Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff View Post
Probably all those Wii owners using iPlayer and eating up all the BBC's bandwidth
Hi Alex

Any self respecting Wii owner won't be bothering with Iplayer since Mario Kart was released today (and it's excellent)
Old 11-04-2008, 22:47   #2950
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Quote:
@SMHarman
No, I don't think so, the card reader is not connected to anything, "chip & pin" just identifies me to the reader, I'm assuming the eight digit code is a form of encryption generated by the reader.
Whoops missed that bit about not connected to the PC in any way and yes wow reading it properly this time, what a palava, almost easier to write a cheque and put it in the post or go to the local branch.
Old 11-04-2008, 22:48   #2951
unicus
Inactive

unicus is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishbosh View Post
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/technolog...ish_phorm.html

In the comments: A Possibility?

Webwise works by having a layer 7 switch intercept and impersonate the client and server requests on the network: -

You browse to a secure site

The switch takes this request and passes it to the site as its own, adding the Webwise cookie.

When the site responds with its public encryption key, the switch strips the public key for the site out, adds its own public key and forwards the request to you.

Even when you exchange a private key, the switch will also intercept this, (seeing it already has the public key) create its own private key and use its key to communicate with your 'secure' website.

Meanwhile, all this decrypted data is being forwarded into Webwise for 'processing'. This is the fatal flaw with SSL.

If your ISP or your network admin wants to 'snoop' on your browsing, they can.

Bear in mind that you can send certificates in the post on a USB stick, however, header information is NOT encrypted - so they can still see which sites you are visiting, even if they can't decrypt the traffic being sent.
I also thought about this and questioned it here #2176 though I had initially forgotten about certification. After subsequent reading, including this, I have come to the conclusion that using this deep packet equipment would make a 'man-in-the-middle' attack possible. Now if someone working for Phorm were not trustworthy...
Old 11-04-2008, 22:51   #2952
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

Interesting that online payments have cropped up. The new banking code takes a lot of the responsibility off the banks and places it firmly on the shoulders of the public with regards to privacy and security.

Under the new code customers will be liable for identity theft/fraud if they do not have:

Upto date Anti-Virus
Upto date firewall
Upto date OS patches

And a whole bunch of other things. I can't wait for the day when someone tries to put in a fraud claim and the Bank say "Sorry but you use a Phorm enabled ISP therefore you have not taken adequate measures to protect your privacy and as such are liable for any losses as a result of the fraud."

Alexander Hanff
Old 11-04-2008, 22:52   #2953
Bobby's-Nutz
Permanently Banned

Bobby's-Nutz is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh forget the 80/20 confusion we know Bent Kent owns them, haaa..

Sorry I still cannot see and legal grounds to challenge the law. He may try to appeal the decision under'conflict of law' but he needs to carefully choose a sound solid law that allows him to access into millions of pcs in the uk by means of an opt out clause or similar and this does not exist. He could use American law under 'conflict of law' and quote the canspam act or something else, this is the only legal means he has..
Old 11-04-2008, 22:53   #2954
unicus
Inactive

unicus is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHarman View Post
Whoops missed that bit about not connected to the PC in any way and yes wow reading it properly this time, what a palava, almost easier to write a cheque and put it in the post or go to the local branch.
Yes it is a pain in the ass but it is more secure...might even stop Phorm snooping
Old 11-04-2008, 22:54   #2955
Draby
Inactive

@Ravenheart
I suppose all this does then, is establish that you have the "physical" card in your posession and not just the numbers.

Richard.
Closed Thread