Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Brexit (Old)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Brexit (Old)
Closed Thread

Old 30-09-2018, 17:23   #1561
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Re: Brexit Discussion (Follow First Post Rules!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Just make it leave or stay.
Why? I sort of justified a second referendum in my mind a couple of months ago. But Merkel's trying to shoe in a German for Juncker's job stopped all that. We had a Referendum; 52% voted Leave on a first past the post basis.

For Andrew, I say this. I have nothing against Germany nor France. The former is a successful country to which I travel often. I am nearly bilingual English/German. But from a political point of view, we have failed to curtail their government's hegemonic approach to affairs and I want out of the consequences.

As regards France, a wonderful country of rich traditions, countryside, food and great people. But again, their government takes a dishonest approach to the principles of the EU as I have explained. They are also trying to co-run the EU with Germany. I want no part o f that either.

None of you Remainers directly address these matters but instead try to insult me.

My advice is at your risk.
Advertisement
Old 30-09-2018, 17:36   #1562
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Just make it leave or stay.
We've already answered that question. If we were to have another referendum (which we won't) the question should be acceptance or rejection of the eventual deal with the EU, with the clear understanding that rejection of the deal will mean WTO.

The remainers had better be careful what they wish for, because the indications are that the majority are most likely to go for WTO rules. Given this would be anathema to the remainers, and that they would prefer a deal with the EU rather than the so-called 'cliff edge' scenario, I would have thought a second referendum is the last thing they'd want.

---------- Post added at 17:36 ---------- Previous post was at 17:31 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Why? I sort of justified a second referendum in my mind a couple of months ago. But Merkel's trying to shoe in a German for Juncker's job stopped all that. We had a Referendum; 52% voted Leave on a first past the post basis.

For Andrew, I say this. I have nothing against Germany nor France. The former is a successful country to which I travel often. I am nearly bilingual English/German. But from a political point of view, we have failed to curtail their government's hegemonic approach to affairs and I want out of the consequences.

As regards France, a wonderful country of rich traditions, countryside, food and great people. But again, their government takes a dishonest approach to the principles of the EU as I have explained. They are also trying to co-run the EU with Germany. I want no part o f that either.

None of you Remainers directly address these matters but instead try to insult me.
Probably, Seph, because these are not the top issues on people's minds when they say they want to leave.

I think most are against France's Common Agricultural Policy, but the main issues are free movement, control of our borders and freedom to make our own laws.

To be honest, you are the only person I have come across as citing Germany hegemony.
Old 30-09-2018, 18:03   #1563
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
<SNIP>

---------- Post added at 17:36 ---------- Previous post was at 17:31 ----------

Probably, Seph, because these are not the top issues on people's minds when they say they want to leave.

I think most are against France's Common Agricultural Policy, but the main issues are free movement, control of our borders and freedom to make our own laws.

To be honest, you are the only person I have come across as citing Germany hegemony.
Why do you think I'm trying to open the eyes of the Remainers on that matter?

Old 30-09-2018, 18:50   #1564
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
When even the leave side have no interest in your hegemony theory, perhaps you might just be a stuck record that people are getting bored with.
Old 30-09-2018, 18:58   #1565
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
I don't think that making references to 'German hegemony' really cuts the ice, Seph.

I doubt that most of them who might be influenced by your concerns would even know what 'hegemony' was. I don't think this is going to run unless you express yourself in terms that more people will understand.

'Dominance' would be better understood, particularly if accompanied by stark examples of this.

However, I think most people are aware that Germany has the biggest economy in the EU, so the fact that they dominate should not really come as a great surprise to most.
Old 30-09-2018, 19:23   #1566
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angua View Post
When even the leave side have no interest in your hegemony theory, perhaps you might just be a stuck record that people are getting bored with.
See what you've done, OB - they're now trying to divide us.

Those who don't know what hegemony is have access to a dictionary. Those who stick their heads in the sand and ignore what's going on with Germany and France and forget what Germany did to Greece need to come out and smell the coffee.

Anyway, we're leaving the EU.

Old 30-09-2018, 20:27   #1567
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I don't think that making references to 'German hegemony' really cuts the ice, Seph.

I doubt that most of them who might be influenced by your concerns would even know what 'hegemony' was. I don't think this is going to run unless you express yourself in terms that more people will understand.

'Dominance' would be better understood, particularly if accompanied by stark examples of this.

However, I think most people are aware that Germany has the biggest economy in the EU, so the fact that they dominate should not really come as a great surprise to most.
Exactly. It almost seems like a fear of success, which seems to be a particularly English failing.
Old 30-09-2018, 20:45   #1568
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
Exactly. It almost seems like a fear of success, which seems to be a particularly English failing.
I've explained what it is. Hegemony - trying to run and dictate to the EU countries. Why would I fear Germany's success? I don't; I fear the domination they seek through that success.

Old 30-09-2018, 21:00   #1569
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Quote:
I've explained what it is. Hegemony - trying to run and dictate to the EU countries. Why would I fear Germany's success? I don't; I fear the domination they seek through that success.
Trouble is, they have their own problems, so getting obsessed with their taking over the EU is somewhat narrow in focus.
Old 30-09-2018, 21:21   #1570
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
Trouble is, they have their own problems, so getting obsessed with their taking over the EU is somewhat narrow in focus.
We all have our problems and I'm not concerned with Germany's problems; they have little bearing on their manipulation or domination of the EU.

Old 30-09-2018, 22:34   #1571
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
We all have our problems and I'm not concerned with Germany's problems; they have little bearing on their manipulation or domination of the EU.
Take a deep breath and stand back mate. The Fourth Reich isn't coming.... We have more to fear from extremists in our own country. The Germans are nice people, really, try talking to a few. Their concerns about the EU are very similar to ours, however they aren't bonkers.
Old 30-09-2018, 22:49   #1572
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebri...hnson-13328777

Quote:
Patrick Kielty launched an impassioned late night rant against Boris Johnson on Friday, schooling him on why Brexit could signal not just the end for Northern Ireland, but also for the UK as we know it.
Old 30-09-2018, 23:03   #1573
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
well done Patrick lets see what Pinocchio Boris lies about next

Boris will NEVER be Prime Minister: Hammond mocks Johnson's plummy voice and failure to grasp detail - and claims his biggest achievement is 'Boris Bikes', in searing attack

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-Hammond.html

Last edited by Dave42; 30-09-2018 at 23:20.
Old 30-09-2018, 23:20   #1574
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
The public don't want chlorinated chicken or hormone mass produced beef. Quality not quantity. Mind you, if they had any sense, they wouldn't touch meat at all or vote for Brexit
Im curious whether you have a credible source for this claim or if it’s just the usual remainer wishful thinking? I’m willing to bet “the public” is ambivalent at most, and most of those who actively mistrust chlorine washing are under the misapprehension that it’s unsafe.

Did you realise that the EU accepts that the process is safe Mr K?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Your above comments bear no relevance whatsoever to my post!
I said "The US has different food standards than Europe. Importing their food would decimate our farming sector. The chlorinated chicken is an example of our divergence in standards."
It would only decimate our farming sector if we continued to ban our own farmers from using safe, efficient means of ensuring chicken is germ-free. Freedom from blatant protectionism is one of the principal reasons why leaving the EU -and being outside the single market- is such a good idea. If our farmers want to sell to the EU then naturally they will have to observe the regulations of that market, but anything they sell within the UK must only match the rules set for the UK, by our parliament. There’s no reason why safe, germ- fee chlorine washed chicken can’t be legally produced here after Brexit. It will be entirely our own decision.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:31   #1575
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I think you need to go and read up on chlorinated chicken before making pronouncements like this.

Even the EU doesn’t think chlorine-washing chicken is chemically harmful to humans, though if you listen to the remainer hysteria on this point you’d be forgiven for thinking otherwise. Their objection is either simple protectionism, or else it’s because they genuinely believe their own claim that lessening protective measures in the factory is a good idea because it forces farmers to be more careful. I know which I think is more likely but YMMV. Whatever the truth, chlorinated chicken carcasses typically have a prevalence of 2% salmonella while chickens treated the EU way have 15-20%. If raw chicken is carelessly handled in the home environment, guess which one is more likely to spread infection: chlorine-washed, or water-washed?

We really have to get away from the idea that EU regulations are automatically better than American ones.

Source
Excellent point. I thought I'd repeat it here as some appear to have forgotten it.
Closed Thread