Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)
Closed Thread

Old 15-07-2017, 23:17   #1861
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrogd View Post
Yes OFCOM is there to protect the customer. But the body that ulitmately controls them, the powers that be in whitehall, have laid down the policy they must operate under. They for one must not restrict any competition that makes the platforms different from one another or they would be seen as restricting the choice of the consumer. As with other utlilities, switching supplier is to be encouraged & we are all not doing enough of it apparently!.
True to an extent, but maybe in their annual report they can highlight the fact that the current arrangement is not in the consumer's interests.

The AMC example I've given in my earlier post is a good demonstration of this. Competition is not working as well as it should in this sector; it needs Government intervention.
Advertisement
Old 16-07-2017, 19:55   #1862
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj20x View Post
I can't see why that is happening. Like the basic BBC services, radio channels aren't encrypted and are outside VM's subscription pack structure. So what is actually blocking access?
Quote:
Bearing in mind that it still works on the Tivo etc, and that this bug is limited to the V6, possibly neither.

I don't know. Consider the possibility that, for some reason, the actual audio stream is incompatible with the V6. Would it be fair to threaten the content provider with a termination of contract? They are providing the same service they always have, which still works on the VM boxes it previously worked on. So how would it be their fault if VM introduced new hardware, incompatible with the stream? A bit harsh perhaps.

I would say that it is up to VM to convert the audio stream and make it universally compatible across all boxes. Either that or update the V6 firmware to make it compatible.

Of course, it may not be a compatibility problem with the actual audio stream. Which brings us back to the question, what is actually blocking access.

Out of interest, do any of the other channels, on the radio section of the EPG, fail to play on the V6?
What I find odd is that the V6 obviously doesn't suggest or record Wishlists from encrypted channels that you don't subscribe to.

However, I keep getting entries in my planner for RTE Radio even though the V6 says I'm not authorised to receive it!
Old 16-07-2017, 23:56   #1863
jj20x

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
...However, I keep getting entries in my planner for RTE Radio even though the V6 says I'm not authorised to receive it!
I would expect that as it isn't an encryption issue. The V6 suggestions routine won't be able to predict that there is an error causing the "authorisation" issue. I'm a little surprised that this issue still hasn't been resolved.

On another note, I've been told that video & audio streams for the "Internal" channel tests for the new Sky Sports channels were added to customer facing networks between the 13th & 14th of July.

Old 17-07-2017, 14:07   #1864
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Did we find out what will be on sky sports main event, arena and the other daftly named one? I'm assuming sports which don't fit in the other channels will be lashed there?

Surprised sky gave all the HD channels too. And sky sports news loses the daft HQ name
Old 17-07-2017, 14:17   #1865
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
Did we find out what will be on sky sports main event, arena and the other daftly named one? I'm assuming sports which don't fit in the other channels will be lashed there?

Surprised sky gave all the HD channels too. And sky sports news loses the daft HQ name
Daft because vm don't own them?
Seems to be a lot of negativity towards SKY from you lately sir have you bee blinded by VMs lies of "it's not us it's big bad SKY and big bad BT they won't let us have channels for peanuts"
WWe will be on Arena i think along probably with boxing etc.
Anyway sources tell me BT are looking into launching a rival channel for Sky sports news hq and will want it on all platforms as they will use it to promote other BT channels and services, this if true indicates to me that the rumours from awhile back might be true that BT are also looking to launch a channel to rival sky1.
Maybe AMC is going 24hrs and going to get more content from other networks, exciting times ahead maybe.
Old 17-07-2017, 14:37   #1866
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
Daft because vm don't own them?
Seems to be a lot of negativity towards SKY from you lately sir have you bee blinded by VMs lies of "it's not us it's big bad SKY and big bad BT they won't let us have channels for peanuts"
WWe will be on Arena i think along probably with boxing etc.
Anyway sources tell me BT are looking into launching a rival channel for Sky sports news hq and will want it on all platforms as they will use it to promote other BT channels and services, this if true indicates to me that the rumours from awhile back might be true that BT are also looking to launch a channel to rival sky1.
Maybe AMC is going 24hrs and going to get more content from other networks, exciting times ahead maybe.
Well, let's hope you are right about these channels broadcasting on all platforms, theone. That is definitely the right way to go.

The danger is that more exclusive channels could start launching, which would mean
that more and more programmes could only be accessed from one platform. So to see all the shows you wanted, increasingly, viewers would have to pay a lot more to subscribe to each platform.

I am therefore living in hope that if there is a BT One to rival Sky One, and it is made available on all platforms, as VM did with Virgin One. It would be good to see AMC as well losing its exclusive tag. I'm personally not at all bothered about a possible BT Sports News, but pleased to hear that you think this would be on all platforms.
Old 17-07-2017, 14:40   #1867
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
I would expect that as it isn't an encryption issue. The V6 suggestions routine won't be able to predict that there is an error causing the "authorisation" issue. I'm a little surprised that this issue still hasn't been resolved.

On another note, I've been told that video & audio streams for the "Internal" channel tests for the new Sky Sports channels were added to customer facing networks between the 13th & 14th of July.
I'd never seen the "Not Authorised" message before until the RTE problem- until today. After having to reboot the box because of a different long standing problem, it said it for ITV HD until the box had settled down!

I agree, it's surprising that VM have allowed this to go on for so long. I have been given a token amount off my bill for the inconvenience, but it's getting beyond a joke now after about eight months.

I've written to RTE to see what they have to say about it, as they will be paying VM to be on they platform. Hopefully this might prompt VM into doing something about this.

I can't imagine that this would have been allowed to go on for so long if it was a more mainstream channel.
Old 17-07-2017, 16:39   #1868
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Well, let's hope you are right about these channels broadcasting on all platforms, theone. That is definitely the right way to go.

The danger is that more exclusive channels could start launching, which would mean
that more and more programmes could only be accessed from one platform. So to see all the shows you wanted, increasingly, viewers would have to pay a lot more to subscribe to each platform.

I am therefore living in hope that if there is a BT One to rival Sky One, and it is made available on all platforms, as VM did with Virgin One. It would be good to see AMC as well losing its exclusive tag. I'm personally not at all bothered about a possible BT Sports News, but pleased to hear that you think this would be on all platforms.
I don't think it'll be too long until AMC arrives on vm tbh apart from the Eiresport spat vm and BT seem to be on pretty good terms.
Old 17-07-2017, 17:58   #1869
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Looks interesting, this. Let's hope it's in addition to, and not instead of, the US drama shows on this channel. My concern is that the drama may all disappear onto Sky Atlantic.

http://advanced-television.com/2017/...-sky-1-revamp/

Sky unveils entertainment-led Sky 1 revamp

In a week where the pay-TV operator has instigated a revamp of its premium sports channels, executives at Sky have revealed a commissioning strategy that will see Sky 1 feature what they describe as “new, ambitious and action-packed entertainment shows”.

At a Broadcasting Press Guild briefing in Sky’s west London HQ, Phil Edgar Jones, Head of Entertainment at Sky revealed three new Sky Original Productions set to debut on the channel this autumn and winter. Sing It (working title) the UK’s first authentic a capella singing contest, Revolution (working title), an extreme sport action-entertainment show that will pitch skateboarders, BMXers and skaters against one another, and Carmageddon (working title), an epic clash where pimped-up, battle-ready cars will face their judgement day.

According to Edgar Jones, Sky is making Sky 1 “even bigger, bolder and better,” with the three new productions. “They signify a new direction for the channel,” he added.

Adam Macdonald, Director of Sky 1 HD, confirmed that the productions were intended to be long-running, returning shows. “We can’t just do an occasional special,” he admitted. Zai Bennett, Director of Programmes for Sky UK, stressed that if Sky introduces a new show, “it has to be the best of its kind”.

Last edited by OLD BOY; 17-07-2017 at 18:05.
Old 17-07-2017, 18:24   #1870
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Looks interesting, this. Let's hope it's in addition to, and not instead of, the US drama shows on this channel. My concern is that the drama may all disappear onto Sky Atlantic.

In a week where the pay-TV operator has instigated a revamp of its premium sports channels, executives at Sky have revealed a commissioning strategy that will see Sky 1 feature what they describe as “new, ambitious and action-packed entertainment shows”.

At a Broadcasting Press Guild briefing in Sky’s west London HQ, Phil Edgar Jones, Head of Entertainment at Sky revealed three new Sky Original Productions set to debut on the channel this autumn and winter. Sing It (working title) the UK’s first authentic a capella singing contest, Revolution (working title), an extreme sport action-entertainment show that will pitch skateboarders, BMXers and skaters against one another, and Carmageddon (working title), an epic clash where pimped-up, battle-ready cars will face their judgement day.

According to Edgar Jones, Sky is making Sky 1 “even bigger, bolder and better,” with the three new productions. “They signify a new direction for the channel,” he added.

Adam Macdonald, Director of Sky 1 HD, confirmed that the productions were intended to be long-running, returning shows. “We can’t just do an occasional special,” he admitted. Zai Bennett, Director of Programmes for Sky UK, stressed that if Sky introduces a new show, “it has to be the best of its kind”.
would not be surprised if sky did move some things to SA but we have to wait and see I guess
Old 17-07-2017, 18:25   #1871
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
I don't think it'll be too long until AMC arrives on vm tbh apart from the Eiresport spat vm and BT seem to be on pretty good terms.
Well, it certainly appears that possession of your own channels only gets you so far when negotiating with Sky...

http://www.seenit.co.uk/bt-tv-custom...ports-pricing/
Old 17-07-2017, 18:30   #1872
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Did I miss anything?

Sky Sports 4 has been rebrand as Sky Sports The Open.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Old 17-07-2017, 18:54   #1873
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
Did I miss anything?

Sky Sports 4 has been rebrand as Sky Sports The Open.
I thought the re-branding was from tomorrow, and channel 515 was going to be called Sky Sports Golf. Must be another one of their silly pop-ups.
Old 17-07-2017, 19:04   #1874
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I thought the re-branding was from tomorrow, and channel 515 was going to be called Sky Sports Golf. Must be another one of their silly pop-ups.
Sky Sports The Open will move to Channel 515 tomorrow. And will be rebrand as Sky Sports Golf from next Monday.

---------- Post added at 18:04 ---------- Previous post was at 18:02 ----------

Unconfirmed reports are coming in that Sky Cinema Greats will be rebrand as Sky Cinema Superheroes from July 24th to until August 23rd.

https://www.tvchannellists.com/List_...re_EPG_changes
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info

Last edited by Media Boy UK; 17-07-2017 at 19:10.
Old 17-07-2017, 19:21   #1875
theone2k10
Inactive

Quote:

One of those shows is Strike back (reboot) trust me.

---------- Post added at 18:21 ---------- Previous post was at 18:17 ----------

Quote:
Well, it certainly appears that possession of your own channels only gets you so far when negotiating with Sky...

http://www.seenit.co.uk/bt-tv-custom...ports-pricing/
The sad thing is though as the big 3 start their pettiness it is us the consumer who ends up suffering i've said it before i'll say it again SKY,VM and BT need their heads banging together.
All three cry about people using illegal routes to obtain content they should take a good long hard look at themselves, actually i'm going to exclude VM from this as on this occasion they aren't to blame as they don't provide content.
BT and SKY keep pushing their luck it is going to backfire on them spectacularly.
Closed Thread