Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 22:32   #661
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77 & 102]

Quote:
Originally Posted by none View Post
They come here because its in their own selfish interest to do so, nothing more. By trying to appease the angry crowd, they hope less users will leave their ISP.
This matters because if there were a mass boycott of all things Phorm, their business model is gone as no ISP will then touch them for fear of losing customers.
We all want answers but there are ways and means to getting them, being aggressive isn't one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markt50 View Post

It doesn't mean I'm any happier about what Phorm does, and I'm definately to yet be convinced by their arguments, my stance is that I will still be looking for a new ISP and telling anyone else who cares to do the same thing because I'm just as angry at Virgin for the way it looks like they are allowing it to be implemented (i.e. the default of being opted in).
Fully agree - I think we need a nail hit on head smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddcase View Post
Can I ask when all this is to start please?
Coming Soon. i.e No official date for implementation as far as Virgin Media is concerned.
Advertisement
Old 06-03-2008, 22:38   #662
none
Inactive

none is just really nicenone is just really nicenone is just really nicenone is just really nicenone is just really nicenone is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
We all want answers but there are ways and means to getting them, being aggressive isn't one of them.
Sorry you feel that way. Was simply stating my case, forcefully. Though your entitled to think what you think.

I've watched and read their woolly replies on many other sites and wasn't prepared to sit back and see the same thing happen here.

But I stand by what I said before, you cannot take what they say at face value. Every time I read one of their replies I feel like I'm being lied to, cant help it, thats just the way I feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddcase
Can I ask when all this is to start please?
that really is the million dollar question. I guess we will know more when we get that letter from VM telling us about this 'great new security service' we are about to force cough i mean give you the option of using.
Old 06-03-2008, 22:45   #663
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:

But I stand by what I said before, you cannot take what they say at face value. Every time I read one of their replies I feel like I'm being lied to, cant help it, thats just the way I feel.
Yeah and you're entitled to feel like that but let others decide for themselves.
Old 06-03-2008, 22:50   #664
Shaun
Inactive

Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star

I have two questions that I don't think have been covered:-

1) Are the ads specifically targeted at the cookie in your browser? If my Nan uses one PC in the house and I use the other will her cookery related surfing affect the ads served to me?
2) Can the opt out be done on an IP/account basis? If I want to opt out of the service I assume I'm not going to have to opt out in every browser on every PC that use my IP?

---------- Post added at 21:50 ---------- Previous post was at 21:45 ----------

Just thought of a third:

3) How are you going to prove to your advertisers how efficient your product is if you don't track any data on it? How can you tell how many ABC1s you've reached and how on earth can you set a tariff with your buyers without this data?
Old 06-03-2008, 22:51   #665
lucevans
Inactive

lucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
I have two questions that I don't think have been covered:-

1) Are the ads specifically targeted at the cookie in your browser? If my Nan uses one PC in the house and I use the other will her cookery related surfing affect the ads served to me?
Yes they are, and no they won't.
Quote:
2) Can the opt out be done on an IP/account basis? If I want to opt out of the service I assume I'm not going to have to opt out in every browser on every PC that use my IP?
No it can't, and yes, you will.
Old 06-03-2008, 23:03   #666
none
Inactive

none is just really nicenone is just really nicenone is just really nicenone is just really nicenone is just really nicenone is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Yeah and you're entitled to feel like that but let others decide for themselves.
I thought that was the whole point of this thread, to express your feelings about this Phorm system. Weather they be positive or negative.

Others will decide for themselves, free choice, no gun to the head, so why say "let others decide for themselves". What has that got to do with me? I'm merely voicing an opinion.

feel free to PM me rather than post back here in this thread.
Old 06-03-2008, 23:12   #667
pigpen
Inactive

Services: XL TV, 50Mbit BB, Phone
pigpen is on a distinguished roadpigpen is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to pigpen

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucevans View Post
What about the previously mentioned advice of blocking the cookie from oix.net? If you have a router capable of blocking access to domains then you would be covered for any machine that connected to your home network.
Old 06-03-2008, 23:16   #668
isf
Inactive

isf is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Quote:
Yes they are, and no they won't.
Which is fine unless users are sharing a single user account and browser profile.

Quote:
Quote:
diagrams The bigger question is, why would the ISP even do packet inspection on every request instead of simply creating a VLAN trunk (or equiv) to bypass the system for those who opted out?

I'm cooked but there's some reading material here

---------- Post added at 22:16 ---------- Previous post was at 22:14 ----------

Quote:
What about the previously mentioned advice of blocking the cookie from oix.net? If you have a router capable of blocking access to domains then you would be covered for any machine that connected to your home network.
It's an opt out system, no cookie and phorm get your clickstream. See the register article (with diagrams) I linked above.
Old 06-03-2008, 23:21   #669
lucevans
Inactive

lucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpen View Post
Yes...I hope that'll work - my router is already configured to block OIX.net.
Old 06-03-2008, 23:25   #670
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

I'd prefer that the Phorm system didn't exist and wasn't to be used. It is good to see that they are at least trying stand up and be counted, even if so far we're not convinced by the arguments.

My real beef however is that I don't have a contract with Phorm. I have a contract with Virgin Media and it is thus my ISP that should be justifying to me as their customer, what they are up to. My ISP shouldn't be hiding behind their supplier's coat tails.
Old 06-03-2008, 23:31   #671
lucevans
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by isf View Post
Which is fine unless users are sharing a single user account and browser profile.

diagrams The bigger question is, why would the ISP even do packet inspection on every request instead of simply creating a VLAN trunk (or equiv) to bypass the system for those who opted out?

I'm cooked but there's some reading material here

---------- Post added at 22:16 ---------- Previous post was at 22:14 ----------

It's an opt out system, no cookie and phorm get your clickstream. See the register article (with diagrams) I linked above.
In no way am I trying to defend Phorm, but if you've never allowed the cookie that contains your unique "anonymyzed random ID number" onto your hard drive, how will they know which ID record on their server to add your browsing behaviour categories to? In other words, how will they know which anonymous user is requesting the webpages you are viewing? They claim to only store 3 types of data - Your anonymous ID number, category tags and timestamps for the date/time you viewed pages containing those categories. They also claim that there is no overlap between Phorm's data system and your ISP's identifiable data about you (such as your IP address, your modem's MAC address, your name, your VM account No., etc.) so if they're not lying, without that anonymous ID number, they've got no way of knowing which user record to assign your page categories to.
Now, if we assume they are cheating, lying, underhand b*****ds, and plan to aggregate data on even those people who have opted out by blocking oix.net cookies, they would have to identify your browsing record on their server using some other unique identifier which could be positively tied to your connection's clickdata - and that, presumably, would have to be one of those personally-identifiable pieces of data from your ISP that they claim not to have access to. If it turned-out they were doing this, not only would they be in deep trouble, so would Virgin for supplying them with that personally-identifiable information. Probably to the tune of bankruptcy once class action law suits and regulator fines had been accounted for. Not even Virgin Media are that stupid.
(And I still don't want this damned system...)
Old 06-03-2008, 23:44   #672
none
Inactive

Quote:
In no way am I trying to defend Phorm, but if you've never allowed the cookie that contains your unique "anonymyzed random ID number" onto your hard drive, how will they know which ID record on their server to add your browsing behaviour categories to? In other words, how will they know which anonymous user is requesting the webpages you are viewing? They claim to only store 3 types of data - Your anonymous ID number, category tags and timestamps for the date/time you viewed pages containing those categories. They also claim that there is no overlap between Phorm's data system and your ISP's identifiable data about you (such as your IP address, your modem's MAC address, your name, your VM account No., etc.) so if they're not lying, without that anonymous ID number, they've got no way of knowing which user record to assign your page categories to.
(And I still don't want this damned system...)
That is actually a very good question, and one that I've been pondering myself now for a few hours. After all what would be the point of an optout cookie, if having no unique anonymyzed random ID cookie achieves the same thing.

Perhaps this could be another question to put to their tech team?
Old 06-03-2008, 23:46   #673
lucevans
Inactive

Quote:
Perhaps this could be another question to put to their tech team?
Old 07-03-2008, 00:06   #674
isf
Inactive

isf is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
They claim to only store 3 types of data - Your anonymous ID number, category tags and timestamps for the date/time you viewed pages containing those categories. They also claim that there is no overlap between Phorm's data system and your ISP's identifiable data about you (such as your IP address, your modem's MAC address, your name, your VM account No., etc.) so if they're not lying, without that anonymous ID number, they've got no way of knowing which user record to assign your page categories to.
So why have they developed a ridiculous cookie based opt-out system that sends this info to their anonymizer instead of having the opt-out at the ISP/network level? This is pretty much the question I've been asking.
Old 07-03-2008, 00:08   #675
Julian Smart
Inactive

Julian Smart has a spectacular aura about themJulian Smart has a spectacular aura about themJulian Smart has a spectacular aura about themJulian Smart has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech team View Post
We realise that some people will not accept that as an explanation. But we also believe there are enough people out there who recognise that technology innovation is about change, trying stuff out, getting it wrong and trying again until you get it right. And we feel that our solution today is really right -- and a big leap forward for privacy.
Techteam
Spot on, TechTeam. Sometimes you can't let users dictate how new technologies and ideas are applied - it's going to affect the bottom line. My own company, SchaftU, is just coming out of stealth mode and may I humbly say that we've modelled ourselves on forward-looking tech companies like yourselves. I hope I'm not giving too much away (to the Police) when I say that we're looking at a number of major high street banks and offering their customers an exciting new opportunity to reassign their assets using our patent-pending BankJob technology. Now, it's possible that when we have implemented this across the specific vaults targetted for trials going forward, that some of the more vocal customers will complain - there are always a few - but we think when we've got the publicity right, paid for some studies, and tweaked our processes, then we'll get the buy-in we need. The point is, don't let unproductive discussion, outdated ethics and premature dialogue with the end user get in the way of inevitable technological progress. If I may, I'd like to elevate the philosophy you yourselves have expressed to a slogan that all forward-looking technology companies should take to heart -

"Just try it out and get it wrong."

Three cheers for this great leap forward in privacy! I can't wait for my family to share the joke when they're served ads related to my porn surfing! Classic. You guys are a ray of light in our otherwise poorly-profiled and inadequately-targeted lives.

MD, SchaftU Enterprises
Closed Thread