Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Keeping old number with Virgin deal

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service

Keeping old number with Virgin deal

Old 24-10-2006, 23:24   #1
aardvark
Inactive

aardvark is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Keeping old number with Virgin deal

Does anyone know if it's possible to keep one's old non-Virgin mobile number when taking up the £10 per month deal?

aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-10-2006, 10:41   #2
mdbray
Inactive

mdbray is an unknown quantity at this point
yes it is possible.
just get a PAC from your current phone company and ring up virgin, give them the code and they will do the rest. it takes 5 working days. you may also need a PUK code to unlock your current phone from your current supplier.
mdbray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2006, 11:25   #3
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Re: Keeping old number with Virgin deal

If the mobile is locked to one specific network - don't get the PUK code from the current network, they will more than likely charge you over the odds for this. Take a trip down to the local market, there might be a mobile phone shop or stall holder, who will unlock the phone for you to use on other networks, for as little as a fiver.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2006, 13:42   #4
mdbray
Inactive

mdbray is an unknown quantity at this point
...or you can search the net for the code.
mdbray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2006, 14:37   #5
AndyCambs
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Broadband XL Virgin Mobile V+ installed! and a happy Virgin Media customer
AndyCambs has reached the bronze age
AndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze age

It's not a PUK lock code either
AndyCambs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2006, 12:54   #6
KevAmiga
Inactive

Services: TiVo, V+, SH2. Phone, Mobile.
KevAmiga is just really niceKevAmiga is just really niceKevAmiga is just really niceKevAmiga is just really niceKevAmiga is just really niceKevAmiga is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to KevAmiga Send a message via Yahoo to KevAmiga

Its a Network Provider Lock... Vodafone will give you it for free provided your phone is outside of its contract. If you are still within a contract, its Illigal to unlock or modify your phone as it doesnt belong to you. Once you are ouside the contract, its yours so AFAIK they unlocki it for free. If its a PAYG phone... dunno.
KevAmiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2007, 15:48   #7
UncleBooBoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevAmiga View Post
Its a Network Provider Lock... Vodafone will give you it for free provided your phone is outside of its contract. If you are still within a contract, its Illigal to unlock or modify your phone as it doesnt belong to you. Once you are ouside the contract, its yours so AFAIK they unlocki it for free. If its a PAYG phone... dunno.
You should check your facts, it is not against the law to remove a service provider lock on any handset in the uk, before, during or after any contract period!

All netowrks charge for providing codes. regardless if it's pay go or contract.
Old 23-01-2007, 16:26   #8
AndyCambs
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Broadband XL Virgin Mobile V+ installed! and a happy Virgin Media customer
AndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze age

Orange charged me £20 for the unlock code. Be warned - you only get a limited number of goes, so it has to be entered correctly, otherwise the handset is useless.
When you ask for your PAC, you have 30days in which to use it. That's classed as the start of the notice to your current provider.
Call Virgin Customer Service, and give them the PAC and your current number. They contact the current provider and take over the number. That takes about five days. If the number is taken over in less than 30days, then you have to pay a proportion of the rental to your old company.
You can get a Virgin number before you get the PAC from your existing company - I did, and then Virgin just send through the update to your SIM card changing your number.
It's really painless.
Old 23-01-2007, 21:55   #9
tcbass
Inactive

Services: L TV-V+ & L BB
tcbass will become famous soon enoughtcbass will become famous soon enoughtcbass will become famous soon enough

I got my code for free from Vodafone, no quibbles, when my contract was up.
tcbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2007, 21:57   #10
AndyCambs
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcbass View Post
I got my code for free from Vodafone, no quibbles, when my contract was up.
I think Vodafone are the only service provider who doesn't charge for unlocking phones in the UK.
Old 23-01-2007, 22:17   #11
Nikesh
Inactive

Nikesh has reached the bronze age
Nikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdbray View Post
...or you can search the net for the code.
How?
Nikesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2007, 10:54   #12
AndyCambs
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikesh View Post
How?
Only some phones - Sony Ericsson unfortunately you can't.
To be honest, I'd be wary of searching for codes on the internet. You can only enter the unlock code a certain amount of times after which the phone is permanently disabled. Either call the phone service provider or take it to a store (where they accept the responsibility!)
Old 24-01-2007, 16:24   #13
Nikesh
Inactive

Nikesh has reached the bronze age
Nikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCambs View Post
Only some phones - Sony Ericsson unfortunately you can't.
To be honest, I'd be wary of searching for codes on the internet. You can only enter the unlock code a certain amount of times after which the phone is permanently disabled. Either call the phone service provider or take it to a store (where they accept the responsibility!)
LOL great thats just typical, I have a Sony Ericsson
Nikesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2007, 01:32   #14
DiamondFox
Inactive

DiamondFox is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, just signed up to ask this question.

I am currently on O2 pay as you go, and would love to keep my current number if possible. Can I transfer this number to this Virgin Mobile deal? Or is it just contract numbers?

Thanks in advance

DiamondFox
DiamondFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2007, 06:29   #15
AndyCambs
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondFox View Post
Hi, just signed up to ask this question.

I am currently on O2 pay as you go, and would love to keep my current number if possible. Can I transfer this number to this Virgin Mobile deal? Or is it just contract numbers?

Thanks in advance

DiamondFox
It should be possible. You need to:
  1. Get your phone unlocked from the current network provider.(Assuming you are going to use the same phone on the Virgin deal). You can do this either by requesting an unlock code from them, or taking the phone to an independent cellphone store. Some phones (mainly Nokia) can be unlocked for free with codes on the internet.
  2. Request a Port Authorisation Code (PAC) from your current provider. This gives the phone company the initial notice that you are leaving. The PAC is posted to you, and you have 30 days in which to use it, otherwise it will not be valid, and you have to request another. You do not need the PAC in order to get the Virgin tariff - they'll send you a SIM card with another Virgin Mobile number, and when you call Virgin Customer Services with the PAC, they change the number on your SIM card. Overall the process from asking for the PAC to receiving it - about 7 days, and from giving the PAC to Virgin before migration - about another 7 days. Both phones must be switched on all day when the migration takes place.
Hope this helps. But if you have any questions, the CS team at Virgin can be contacted on 789 (which costs), or at no cost through "My Account" and "Contact us" on the internet.