Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

Old 05-02-2019, 15:44   #196
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I can now reveal that the Smithsonian Channel will launch on channel 295 on VM from Tuesday 12 February.
Thanks. You don't happen to know the packages it will be on do you?

---------- Post added at 15:44 ---------- Previous post was at 15:43 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
Something was afoot last night, as 113 was removed from my Favourites.
I removed it from my Favs manually recently so I couldn't say the same.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-02-2019, 16:35   #197
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I can now reveal that the Smithsonian Channel will launch on channel 295 on VM from Tuesday 12 February.
Cheers, OB.

Any new on the 4K content from Smithsonian? Maybe they will add some of those programmes to the UHD channel
Ultimate.Conj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 19:05   #198
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
Thanks. You don't happen to know the packages it will be on do you?
I would have said it was on the Player pack along with PBS America, but as this is an HD channel on Virgin, they may be adding this to the Full House and VIP packs only. I am afraid I have only speculation to go by on this question at present.

---------- Post added at 19:05 ---------- Previous post was at 19:02 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate.Conj View Post
Cheers, OB.

Any new on the 4K content from Smithsonian? Maybe they will add some of those programmes to the UHD channel
As I understand it, we are getting Smithsonian in HD, but not UHD. But as to whether VM have a deal with Smithsonian to add UHD to Virgin Media UHD, I don't know. All I can say is that there is no sign of such programming on the Virgin Media UHD channel on the EPG to date.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 19:22   #199
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
It also includes OTT, not just linear channels. The LG policy is to take content rather that launch its own channels, but I don't think they are adhering slavishly to the principle. For example, we do have the Virgin UHD channel, driven I think from the lack of available content elsewhere.
The 2018 thread saw a brief reprieve earlier today, much like linear television with Serie A moving from an ailing streaming service to Premier Sports.

I’m fully aware that cable operators bundling OTT streaming technology in their products would utilise different technologies. What I want to know is how that’s discernibly different for the end user than what we have now with live television bundled alongside libraries of on demand content from different content providers.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 19:28   #200
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

No worries. Thanks Old Boy. As it's distributed by same company as LoveNature I wouldn't be surprised about Full House and VIP, and UHD via VMUHD channel.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 19:44   #201
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
The 2018 thread saw a brief reprieve earlier today, much like linear television with Serie A moving from an ailing streaming service to Premier Sports.

I’m fully aware that cable operators bundling OTT streaming technology in their products would utilise different technologies. What I want to know is how that’s discernibly different for the end user than what we have now with live television bundled alongside libraries of on demand content from different content providers.
The discernable difference will be more obvious with time, as the content available to linear channels becomes ever more restricted with the rise and rise of streaming services.

Those linear channels not commissioning their own original content will resort more and more to reality programmes and other cheap rubbish as their access to quality drama from other studios dries up.

Picture quality will also improve with new UHD content. Additionally, as we end up with bundles of streaming services rather than bundles of channels, there should be less rubbish being forced on us, although I cannot rule out lots of new cheap streaming services provided free of extra charge by Sky and VM containing a fair proportion of, well, rubbish!
Old 05-02-2019, 20:03   #202
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
The discernable difference will be more obvious with time, as the content available to linear channels becomes ever more restricted with the rise and rise of streaming services.

Those linear channels not commissioning their own original content will resort more and more to reality programmes and other cheap rubbish as their access to quality drama from other studios dries up.

Picture quality will also improve with new UHD content. Additionally, as we end up with bundles of streaming services rather than bundles of channels, there should be less rubbish being forced on us, although I cannot rule out lots of new cheap streaming services provided free of extra charge by Sky and VM containing a fair proportion of, well, rubbish!
Ah, so it's based on the same assumption as the rest of your "streaming is the future" predictions - that streaming and linear are somehow mutually exclusive and that major content companies won't continue to utilise both. No point in wasting another thread on the same basis, really. Anyone can just find any of the seven topics you've started on the matter.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 22:26   #203
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Ah, so it's based on the same assumption as the rest of your "streaming is the future" predictions - that streaming and linear are somehow mutually exclusive and that major content companies won't continue to utilise both. No point in wasting another thread on the same basis, really. Anyone can just find any of the seven topics you've started on the matter.
Well, you did ask. If you don’t accept my interpretation of the trend that is becoming obvious, or the BBC’s own assessment of where it will be in the mid-2030s, I guess you are entitled to it. No doubt you will attempt to justify your conclusion at some point.
Old 05-02-2019, 22:48   #204
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:

Keeping all bases open then.

As Eleven Sports have found out streaming is not a money tree.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 23:33   #205
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post

As OB has pointed out on many occasions, the streaming is not solely for sport!
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 05:31   #206
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:

As per usual like a obfuscating politician he ignores that and continues on his one man band of unsubstantiated delusion.
Old 06-02-2019, 07:15   #207
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:

The streaming was not an issue, though! They have been more successful in other countries.

---------- Post added at 07:15 ---------- Previous post was at 07:13 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
As per usual like a obfuscating politician he ignores that and continues on his one man band of unsubstantiated delusion.
Your gramophone needle has got stuck again, Den. You yourself acknowledged that it was their business model that sunk them.
Old 06-02-2019, 07:27   #208
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:

Your gramophone needle has got stuck again, Den. You yourself acknowledged that it was their business model that sunk them.
And that is why despite the huge profits that are made the financial business numbers for Amazon and any of the other streaming giants simply do not add up and never will do when it comes to the big football rights auctions in this country as streaming is fine and dandy for the many excellent series and movies that can be found on there but that is it and that is the way it will always remain despite your insistent flag waving protestations.
Old 06-02-2019, 13:53   #209
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
And that is why despite the huge profits that are made the financial business numbers for Amazon and any of the other streaming giants simply do not add up and never will do when it comes to the big football rights auctions in this country as streaming is fine and dandy for the many excellent series and movies that can be found on there but that is it and that is the way it will always remain despite your insistent flag waving protestations.
You are obsessed with the notion that sport streaming is doomed to failure.

In which case, you might like to take a look at this.

https://www.digitaltveurope.com/2019...e-on-apple-tv/

I'm afraid to tell you that it's happening whether you like it or not.
Old 06-02-2019, 14:02   #210
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
You are obsessed with the notion that sport streaming is doomed to failure.

In which case, you might like to take a look at this.

https://www.digitaltveurope.com/2019...e-on-apple-tv/

I'm afraid to tell you that it's happening whether you like it or not.
Hmmmm you left one country out there OB which will give you a clear clue and that country is the UK as the UK sports rights market is very much different from those abroad as you are quickly finding out.

Last edited by denphone; 06-02-2019 at 14:18. Reason: Adding word.
denphone is offline   Reply With Quote