Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Are you Eligible for the £140 Warm Home Discount?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

Are you Eligible for the £140 Warm Home Discount?

Old 16-09-2018, 13:20   #1
Jimmy-J
as common as muck

Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array
Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array
Are you Eligible for the £140 Warm Home Discount?

Just a reminder to get your applications in for the £140 discount on your gas or electric.

It's first come first served, so apply now!

The list of energy suppliers that are part of the scheme.

Good luck!

Jimmy-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-09-2018, 16:17   #2
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Re: Are you Eligible for the £140 Warm Home Discount?

We've always been a fraction outside of eligibilty.

Our twins, who live with us, are both eligible. But only if they lived alone elsewhere.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2018, 22:22   #3
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Its a very good time of year to check whether you're getting the best electricity/gas deal.

I've found this site to be best as a guide https://www.energyhelpline.com (HOWEVER make sure you choose 'Show me all generally available plans' on the results page, or they'll only show providers they get commission from.
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 21:19   #4
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

This is going up to £150 this year and they are replacing the Broader group with Core 2 which will mean you no longer need to apply

Means tested benefits are automatically classed as low income and then there is some sort of algorithm that will decide if the claimant pays high energy costs

I have always been able to claim as I have given figures. By the time they are looking at it my energy bills will be at least 23% of my total income possibly as much as 25% but now they will not looks at figures just the building type. Will have to wait and see I guess
Jaymoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 21:31   #5
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

There's rumours going round the disabled community that this Government is to scrap entitlement for the disabled to this scheme and that it will be for those on means tested benefits only.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 21:59   #6
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
There's rumours going round the disabled community that this Government is to scrap entitlement for the disabled to this scheme and that it will be for those on means tested benefits only.
They don't currently automatically qualify, so actually it's no change.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 22:29   #7
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
From what I have read this is basically true. I will try and find the paper

---------- Post added at 21:24 ---------- Previous post was at 21:24 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
They don't currently automatically qualify, so actually it's no change.
The change is that those who get will qualify automatically but they have changed the requirements

---------- Post added at 21:26 ---------- Previous post was at 21:24 ----------

https://www.gov.uk/government/consul...port-from-2022

---------- Post added at 21:27 ---------- Previous post was at 21:26 ----------

Quote:
expanding the overall spending envelope to £475 million (in 2020 prices) each year for Great Britain
increasing the value of the rebates to £150
maintaining the current Core Group 1, continuing to provide rebates to around one million low-income pensioners
creating a new Core Group 2 of around 1.9 million households on low incomes and with high energy costs, identified through data matching. Rebates to this group will be awarded automatically

---------- Post added at 21:29 ---------- Previous post was at 21:27 ----------

Quote:
The Core Group 2 element of the Warm Home Discount scheme places an obligation on compulsory participant suppliers to provide £150 rebates automatically to low-income households that are more likely to have high energy costs and therefore most in need of support with energy bills. Households in receipt of certain means-tested benefits and income-capped Tax Credits would be deemed as low income and are eligible under the Core Group 2. These include:

Income related Employment and Support Allowance
Income based Jobseeker’s Allowance
Income Support
Universal Credit
Housing benefit
Child Tax Credits and Working Tax Credits
Pension Credit Savings Credit (PCSC).
Government-held data is used to identify low-income and high-energy-cost households under Core Group 2. Data is matched on benefits and Tax Credit receipt, which is held by DWP, property characteristics, provided by the VOA, and customer accounts held by the participating energy suppliers. Other data sources would also be used by the government where data is missing or by customers to provide alternative evidence. Further information on this process can be found in the government consultation on the WHD from 2022.
Old 02-07-2022, 22:48   #8
nomadking
cf.mega poster

nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
From what I have read this is basically true. I will try and find the paper

---------- Post added at 21:24 ---------- Previous post was at 21:24 ----------

The change is that those who get will qualify automatically but they have changed the requirements

---------- Post added at 21:26 ---------- Previous post was at 21:24 ----------

https://www.gov.uk/government/consul...port-from-2022

---------- Post added at 21:27 ---------- Previous post was at 21:26 ----------

So where does it say that currently the disabled automatically qualify? If they are on means tested benefits, they will qualify because of that. The claim was that the plan was to scrap entitlement for the disabled, when no such current entitlement exists.
At the moment it's, first come, first served for a fixed number of places.
Technically I qualify, but financially don't need it, so don't claim and leave the money for somebody to receive. With the new plan, I might end up receiving it anyway.
It would be incredibly complicated to factor in fuel type, energy efficiency levels, and individual needs, as suggested in the consultation process. Although I can see that if somebody uses oil for heating, that won't be a visible factor in assessing their energy usage. That will be for the challenge process.

So still nothing in your added list, about disability being the sole factor in qualifying.
The people who keep missing out, are those on contribution based benefits and are not means tested, If their savings and income were to be assessed, they might qualify for means tested benefits. Not sure how many on contribution based benefits would fail means testing. There might be some with high savings or other income, but most won't.

Last edited by nomadking; 02-07-2022 at 22:56.
Old 02-07-2022, 22:51   #9
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Quote:
So where does it say that currently the disabled automatically qualify? If they are on means tested benefits, they will qualify because of that. The claim was that the plan was to scrap entitlement for the disabled, when no such current entitlement exists.
At the moment it's, first come, first served for a fixed number of places.
Technically I qualify, but financially don't need it, so don't claim and leave the money for somebody to receive. With the new plan, I might end up receiving it anyway.
It would be incredibly complicated to factor in fuel type, energy efficiency levels, and individual needs, as suggested in the consultation process. Although I can see that if somebody uses oil for heating, that won't be a visible factor in assessing their energy usage. That will be for the challenge process.
Where did I say they did?
Old 02-07-2022, 23:18   #10
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Where did I say they did?
I was replying to this.
Quote:
You replied to his post with "From what I have read this is basically true. I will try and find the paper".
Perhaps you got mixed up, and were intending to say that my response to his post was "basically true", but included his post first.

Old 02-07-2022, 23:31   #11
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Quote:
I was replying to this.
You replied to his post with "From what I have read this is basically true. I will try and find the paper".
Perhaps you got mixed up, and were intending to say that my response to his post was "basically true", but included his post first.

I did not get mixed up I was responding to the means tested part.

The post I said is basically true also did not say disabled automatically qualify. I think it is you got mixed up
Old 02-07-2022, 23:43   #12
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I did not get mixed up I was responding to the means tested part.

The post I said is basically true also did not say disabled automatically qualify. I think it is you got mixed up
The thrust of his post was that entitlement for the disabled was going to be scrapped. The "means tested benefits only" was prefixed with "will be", ie future tense. That can't be "basically true" either, as it's not something that isn't currently in place, but "will be",
Old 03-07-2022, 08:15   #13
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Quote:
The thrust of his post was that entitlement for the disabled was going to be scrapped. The "means tested benefits only" was prefixed with "will be", ie future tense. That can't be "basically true" either, as it's not something that isn't currently in place, but "will be",
I respond to literal words not what is read by some between the lines. Okay?

Anyway the "Thrust" of my bump is that the policies are changed
Old 03-07-2022, 11:02   #14
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Our twins both receive mean tested "income related ESA". But they have never been able to claim the Warm Home Discount, as the income and savings of the entire household are taken into account.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 11:11   #15
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
Our twins both receive mean tested "income related ESA". But they have never been able to claim the Warm Home Discount, as the income and savings of the entire household are taken into account.
I think it has always related to the bill payer and his/her spouse. If one of them was the bill payer (or main account holder) then under the new rules I imagine it would be considered.

When claiming for the broader group you have always had to qualify on 2 criteria. 1 being the main benefit and 2 either income or other aspects of benefits. Because I was always on ESA Support group I qualified on the fact I get a disability premium as part of it covering both criteria

---------- Post added at 10:11 ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 ----------

If you look at Octopus broader group criteria household income is only considered if you choose that option as your Option 1 Income Related ESA would be your choice making income irrelevant as long as you qualified for one part of section 2

https://octopus.energy/blog/warm-home-discount/