Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ASUS RT-AC3200 connects to 5GHz but not 2.4GHz

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

Ethernet doesn't have have a valid IP configuration

Old 01-03-2018, 20:11   #1
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Ethernet doesn't have have a valid IP configuration

Yesterday I turned on my laptop and I got a message saying I had limited network access.

Its conected via a ethernet.

Running the network diagonstic I got the erro message in the title.

The laptop had a dynamic IP and DNS.

I tried pluging in my 5GHz and got the same result.

I'm at a loss, the only thing I can think is that I tried a tool from the web that would find the best DNS for you.

I cannot access my router via the laptop, but can access MS Onedrive though.

I plugged my netbook into the same ethernet cable and can connect without issue, (Using this to tyoe this)

I googled and tried the options without luck.

Help.
Old 01-03-2018, 21:08   #2
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts
Re: Ethernet doesn't have have a valid IP configuration

Have u tried rolling windows back to an earlier date? I know its risky but maybe in this case its worth it.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 21:37   #3
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Believe it or not I'm doing just that as I type.

Failing that ask the IT guy at work when I go back to work on Monday.

---------- Post added at 20:37 ---------- Previous post was at 20:13 ----------

Thank god for that.

A system restore point fixed it.

I still would like to know what went wrong.
Old 01-03-2018, 21:53   #4
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

Services: Sarcasm
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
Believe it or not I'm doing just that as I type.

Failing that ask the IT guy at work when I go back to work on Monday.

---------- Post added at 20:37 ---------- Previous post was at 20:13 ----------

Thank god for that.

A system restore point fixed it.

I still would like to know what went wrong.
I went through a stage where a windows update would always kill my network on a pc - for some reason the combination of the driver and the update would just stop networking from working, so I always had to roll it back
Mr_love_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 12:10   #5
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Well it just did it again.

My laptop cannot find a network.
Old 04-03-2018, 13:08   #6
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Reboot modem and router and laptop, see what happens.
Old 05-03-2018, 13:17   #7
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Done all that.

I even gave the laptop a static IP.

I think it's a windows update that's buggered
Old 05-03-2018, 13:20   #8
idi banashapan
step on my trip

idi banashapan has a nice shiny star
idi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny star

open command prompt as admin
type; netsh winsock reset
reboot machine
test network again

if this fails, open command prompt as admin again and type: ipconfig /all
what IP details is it showing for your network interface you are trying to use?..
- IPv4 address
- Subnet mask
- Default gateway
- DHCP server
- DNS server
Old 09-03-2018, 15:02   #9
Morgrin
cf.member

Morgrin is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a similar problem with my desktop since the recent creators update.

Although I don't have fix I do have a workaround which works for me.

4 out of 5 time I switch my pc on to find no Ethernet adaptor installed.

I check my device manager and the main network adaptor has a yellow warning triangle.

Right click and scan for hardware changes fixed the problem until the next power on.

This may help for you?
Morgrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 16:01   #10
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgrin View Post
I have a similar problem with my desktop since the recent creators update.

Although I don't have fix I do have a workaround which works for me.

4 out of 5 time I switch my pc on to find no Ethernet adaptor installed.

I check my device manager and the main network adaptor has a yellow warning triangle.

Right click and scan for hardware changes fixed the problem until the next power on.

This may help for you?
If that works for you then fair enough, I wouldn't put up with it and I suspect many others wouldn't either.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 17:04   #11
Morgrin
cf.member

Morgrin is an unknown quantity at this point

I do agree its not the best, but rolling back may be more hassle.

I live in hope that a patch may fix it. To be honest I think its the Ethernet Lan driver is not 100% compatible with Win10.
Morgrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 17:39   #12
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Rolling back is not a satisfactory option either.

Always check drivers with the manufacturers site rather than rely on microsoft update.

It may just be a case of microsoft not testing it and allowing it to be "digitally signed".
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 15:19   #13
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

I have partley solved it.

I remember the IT guy telling me to uninstall Avast AV (via removal tool).

I did and I'm up and running.

Now what do I do with regards to AV, try and reinstalling Avast or use another, I'm running 8.1

Last edited by Hom3r; 18-03-2018 at 15:50.
Hom3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 16:11   #14
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
I have partley solved it.

I remember the IT guy telling me to uninstall Avast AV (via removal tool).

I did and I'm up and running.

Now what do I do with regards to AV, try and reinstalling Avast or use another, I'm running 8.1
I would try Avast again and get rid of 8.1 and move to 10 it is far better.
Old 18-03-2018, 16:22   #15
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
I would try Avast again and get rid of 8.1 and move to 10 it is far better.
Can I get it for free?