Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Old 22-03-2013, 00:30   #3496
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
Re: Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
I think what TH meant to ask is during the humps, what were you doing? P2P; Uploading?

That would amplify on TBB whatever interference you get from others on your segment.
What I meant was I trust beast knows his network. If its internal then shame on you Beast! Shame!!!!!
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-03-2013, 00:40   #3497
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
What I meant was I trust beast knows his network. If its internal then shame on you Beast! Shame!!!!!
Doesn't tie in with what you said.

If my interpretation is not what you meant, then you don't know what you're talking about, I'm afraid.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 00:46   #3498
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

what are you on about? I said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
your on shared network capacity. it can be someone else running it which is on the same connection channels as you.
putting aside doubts of his own LAN/WLAN which is why I didn't mean to ask anything LAN/WLAN related. that means I trust beast to know his network and I put the blame away from his network.
Old 22-03-2013, 00:52   #3499
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

If you put the blame away from his network, what might be happening away from his network? If Roughbeast knows his own network, he'd know or at least suspect it was away from his network.

What he wants to know is what is happening away from his network.

You'll see from my post here, that I did some analysis and confirmed where the problem might be occurring (which Roughbeast had sort of identified).

He now needs to take this to VM.

EDIT: In response to the first part of your edit above, I at least asked him what he was doing on his side at the time of the phenomenon.

Old 22-03-2013, 00:58   #3500
thenry
Inactive

edit response. exactly. thats what you asked and what you meant to ask not me.
Old 22-03-2013, 07:58   #3501
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Stop it girls!

I am not concerned about those brief regular spikes, only about the bump that is lasting from 6-10 pm. The former, I haven't a clue about. The latter affects my performance just when I need it to be top notch.

It has been apparent for about 48 hours now.

Sorry about head end misidentification Seph. My understanding of the network is not to be taken as read! What I do know is that the bumps are nothing to do with my home set up.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 09:50   #3502
Sephiroth
Simples

Roughbeast - it's the hump I'm concerning myself with. There's still the question I posed to Dwarven about what his circuit end is doing during the hump period. Is the hump a regular occurrence now? If Dwarven were doing something like p2p or uploading, if he stopped doing that, would the hump abate?

Are Dwarven's channels the same now as they were before the hump? The answers to these questions could paint a picture of why this is happening now that we've identified from the reverse traceroute where the bottleneck appears to be.

Old 22-03-2013, 10:33   #3503
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Roughbeast - it's the hump I'm concerning myself with. There's still the question I posed to Dwarven about what his circuit end is doing during the hump period. Is the hump a regular occurrence now? If Dwarven were doing something like p2p or uploading, if he stopped doing that, would the hump abate?

Are Dwarven's channels the same now as they were before the hump? The answers to these questions could paint a picture of why this is happening now that we've identified from the reverse traceroute where the bottleneck appears to be.
For my part, I have not done any P2P uploading or downloading for over a week. My bumps appear to be regular and unrelated to anything I am doing here. My only background uploading is for Livedrive. This occurs regularly throughout a 24 hour period and in response to changes in files on the drives it monitors. Its uploads are not limited to the mid-evening bump slot.

Here's a tracert taken just now. No bump ATM.

Tracing route to speedtest4.thinkbroadband.com [80.249.107.197]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms REDDWARF [192.168.1.1]
2 6 ms 9 ms 5 ms 10.14.112.1
3 7 ms 7 ms 7 ms brhm-core-2a-ae3-1179.network.virginmedia.net [2
13.106.229.161]
4 8 ms 9 ms 7 ms brhm-bb-1c-ae17-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.25
3.174.73]
5 10 ms 11 ms 16 ms nrth-bb-1c-et-400-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.
253.174.226]
6 9 ms 9 ms 11 ms nrth-bb-1b-ae11-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.25
3.174.109]
7 11 ms 11 ms 24 ms tele-ic-4-ae0-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.253.
174.18]
8 13 ms 13 ms 12 ms linx-gw1.thn.ncuk.net [195.66.224.240]
9 67 ms 63 ms 69 ms speedtest4.thinkbroadband.com [80.249.107.197]

Trace complete.
Old 22-03-2013, 10:48   #3504
Sephiroth
Simples

So, what you're saying is that there is regular upstream activity on your system much of the time. Is it not so that if you suspended that activity, the hump would be less pronounced? It's your contribution to the hump that I'm trying to get at. From where I'm sat (miles away), I couldn't say that what you're experiencing isn't influenced by what your system is doing. That's the challenge of diagnosis by forum!

Any change in upstream/downstream channel numbers when the hump started?

Old 22-03-2013, 11:47   #3505
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Quote:
So, what you're saying is that there is regular upstream activity on your system much of the time. Is it not so that if you suspended that activity, the hump would be less pronounced? It's your contribution to the hump that I'm trying to get at. From where I'm sat (miles away), I couldn't say that what you're experiencing isn't influenced by what your system is doing. That's the challenge of diagnosis by forum!

I will check channel numbers before and after this evening, and then let you know.

I understand what you are saying about my regular up load arrangements. However, these uploads are usually triggered by relatively small changes in small files on monitored drives. eg working Word or Excel files.They tend to be very brief upload sessions. Larger prolonged uploads only take place when I manually submit large video files or numerous music files to the Livedrive cloud. This I have not done for a week or so.

I also understand that my usage impinges on the over all profile of the TBB graph and that this applies whether or not there is a bump. My current upload / download patterns have applied for years now. I deliberately avoid evenings for P2P activity, such as torrents. The only thing that has changed is the evening bump. A few days ago it wasn't there, but now it is. My usage behaviour has not changed during that time. I may contribute minutely to the size of the bump, but I am not causing it, as I didn't with the virtually nationwide mid-evening bump of late 2012.
Old 22-03-2013, 12:01   #3506
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
I hope that VM have added this to their lessons learned file. Release the upstream constraint and the downstream (that depends on upstream) demand rises significantly
Isp's never learn from this, even ignition who has worked for VM. Still has the belief that when speed is increased usage doesnt go up by much. He did give me some stats to back up what he said but time and time again we all see isp's get themselves into bother when they increase speeds. They they say the same thing everytime after which is they were surprised by the increased demand.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 12:49   #3507
dwarven
Inactive

Services: 100mb
dwarven is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

My upstream channel hasn't changed since I got my speed upgrade at the beginning of the year, my downstream ones changed last week when I lost service for about 30 mins in the middle of the night.

I haven't done any p2p or uploading either, typically at that time of night Im playing World of Warcraft or watching tv
dwarven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 13:21   #3508
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:

as I mentioned, this wasnt unique to Dwarven

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigj2k12 View Post
Only affecting a handful of users, more likely to be a more localised issue than a national routing problem

craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 13:35   #3509
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

No hump on mine last night, so it's definitely just certain users.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 21:03   #3510
Jayster
I am the one who knocks

Services: 200/20 SH3, V6 Box
Jayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to behold

Power went out for lots of people near me, mines come back on but it seems most have not. I am currently enjoying a significantly less congested connection =D
Jayster is offline   Reply With Quote