Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 22:17   #8296
Dephormation
Inactive

Services: Aquiss.net and loving it. No more Virgin Media, no more Virgin Phone, no more Virgin Mobile.
Dephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to all
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Full size versions (click to enlarge);

Advertisement
Old 06-06-2008, 22:25   #8297
davethejag
Inactive

davethejag has a spectacular aura about themdavethejag has a spectacular aura about themdavethejag has a spectacular aura about themdavethejag has a spectacular aura about them

Hi All, not sure if this has been posted but here it is anyway! Might be of interest. -

http://www.webuser.co.uk/news/257815.html

Dave.
Old 06-06-2008, 22:26   #8298
BadPhormula
cf.addict

BadPhormula will become famous soon enoughBadPhormula will become famous soon enoughBadPhormula will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildie View Post
on a side note found this http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ls-emails.html
talk about abuse of powers.

Give them the ability to abuse their power.. And they will.

This is what some people just don't seem to understand about why Phorm is hated so much..

Quote:
(here's what weeny thinks) "it's just a word parsing system to create targetted adverts?!? I don't know what all the fuss is about"
No it isn't! It is the first steps on the way towards the acceptance of a system to watch/read/intercept/analyse then CONTROL YOU. Today the smarmy shysters like K~nt says "nothing to worry about". Then several years down the line through mission creep and extended function they have a system so entwined into every decision and thought you make, they will literally be able to target an individual and control them through various means we cannot even comprehend today. K~nt will do deals with anyone and do anything for money, if you think the thousands of people abused by councils throughout the UK using RIPA is a problem now imagine how they will abuse 'citizens' when K~nt offers them Webwise+ (millions)

Thanks to people like Stratis Scleparis former CTO of BT (now CTO of Phorm) abusing his position to beta test an illegal spying system at BT then jump ship to Phorm so he can overlook the smooth transition of WebSpies without being questioned or challenged. Thanks Stratis you back stabbing greedy money motivated b~stard.
Old 06-06-2008, 23:47   #8299
bluecar1
Inactive

Services: No DPI Kit snooping on USERS
bluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about them

just added the below to the footer my website

I explicitly deny ISP's from Using Deep Packet Inspection Technologies such as WebWise, Phorm, NeBuAd or similar technologies from intercepting any traffic to or from this website for the purpose of profiling the content to serve targeted advert or otherwise spying on visitors to MY WEBSITE

that should do for a start

peter
Old 07-06-2008, 00:11   #8300
labougie
Inactive

labougie is an unknown quantity at this point

Sadly, so sadly - this is the way of the world. At the dawn of computing we were promised paperless offices. We were not promised Orwellian control, which seems to be the main use to which computing power is being put. Governments already know more about you than they have any good right to and no matter what user-friendly name the department is called, they are NOT about upholding your privacy rights - they've been undermining those rights themselves and it wouldn't be at all surprising if they've given the green light to others who want to collect information, as long as they share it with the government. Expecting the LAW to be with you on this one would be like expecting turkeys to vote for Christmas. Sorry, but a rearguard action is the only thing that's happening around here. An extremely valiant one - but the times are not on our side. Anyone who voted for Margaret/Ronnie must now hang their head in shame because corporate indifference to legality was always part and parcel of the package.
Old 07-06-2008, 00:13   #8301
Rchivist
Inactive

Rchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark777 View Post
I've spent the last hour or so going through the leaked document again and it's still mind-boggling how much 'dirt' is in there.

I've posted an analysis with 13 points in it, (12 of which are not about charity ads) over on BT Beta forums - it may be helpful for anyone planning an ICO letter or MP letter because I've put in page numbers etc. to save everyone squinting at the scan.

I mentioned this a day ago but a lot of sewage has flowed under the bridge since then.

You should be able to access it here (scroll down to my post on June 5th 11.27am)
http://www.beta.bt.com/bta/forums/th...t=750&tstart=0
I've also expressed my views on the legal heavyweight action in a seperate post - just got back from London and am catching up!

I really wonder whether Bt would want to be taken through that leaked document point by point in front of a jury. It's not as if their reputation could have been damaged by the noDPI article - it was on the floor already - and a courtroom cross examination of a BT executive with detailed questioning of all the things they have have done and said would be most unwelcome for them.

Imagine them discussing their understanding of the word "transparency" as used in the leaked document, and then asking them what it means when Kent uses it in a PR statement or when he speaks to his privacy auditors or the ICO

Imagine getting them to explain in court just what they meant by "stealth trial" - or "avoiding any perception that their system is a virus" (while reminding them what their support staff called it when Stephen Mainwaring rang them.) - getting them to explain the circumvention of T&C's by 121Media's cookie dropping campaign - the monitoring of helpdesk calls while not actually "helping" any customers who wanted to know what the *** was going on - their awareness of customer complaints about the trials but their cover up of what they were doing - their intention to improve "transparency" in the second trial (which sort of transparency was that Ms Sanderson? Your sort or the sort Phorm PR team were touting? Covering up while pretending to be open?) - the admission of javascript injection - the misinformation regarding IP addresses in terms of submissions to the ICO when it would seem that IP addresses were in fact available -

Do they really want to be taken through all that in cross examination?
As well as have either a lawyer or Alex take them through his paper on the trials, paragraph by paragraph and ask them about it - in court - under oath? Are they sure they want to do that?
Old 07-06-2008, 00:22   #8302
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

Beta Forums now require a password and username to read the threads. Or at least that is what I was presented with when I clicked your link above.

Alexander Hanff
Old 07-06-2008, 00:24   #8303
labougie
Inactive

You're expecting justice when the system itself is skewed. The man (a few pages back) who "accidentally" leaked the BT document to Private Eye did a whole lorra good. The fact "My Learned Friends" have been on to Alex is a sign of their weakness, not their strength. But the HO is your big problem. They're doing exactly the same thing themselves. And again, sadly, those guys MAKE the law. If you think that the judge in any important case isn't either selected or leaned on, you're a fool.
Old 07-06-2008, 00:28   #8304
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...als_in_uk.html

Alexander Hanff
Old 07-06-2008, 00:31   #8305
warescouse
cf.addict

warescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff View Post
Beta Forums now require a password and username to read the threads. Or at least that is what I was presented with when I clicked your link above.

Alexander Hanff
And same for I. Very secretive!
Old 07-06-2008, 00:34   #8306
Rchivist
Inactive

Rchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of Quads

Quote:

Alexander Hanff
http://www.beta.bt.com/bta/forums/th...t=750&tstart=0
and then scroll down - I've edited my post above. Sorry - the url when logged in obviously doesn't work for those who aren't.
Old 07-06-2008, 00:34   #8307
XBNM
Inactive

XBNM is an unknown quantity at this point

I love the preformance critieria in the report especially No 7 Security

Requirement
Verify pageSense Conforms to BT Security Standards

Success Critieria

Measrure the effectivenesss of the 121Media application click through rates
Revenue share model
Projected Revenue share based on trial Click through rates and proposed Revenue sharing model

Does this mean the only measure of security in BT is profit ?

Good to know the trial was compliant in this area.
Old 07-06-2008, 00:35   #8308
BadPhormula
cf.addict

BadPhormula will become famous soon enoughBadPhormula will become famous soon enoughBadPhormula will become famous soon enough

Message #8038 from one time poster 'oro' was deleted, along with others regarding the Phorm Advert hijacking thread. I kept my copy of the message before it was deleted.

I found it strange that one time poster 'oro' was dropping heavy hints and tips about this hijacking matter prior to Phorm lawyers threatening Alexander. Friendly insider info? Agent provocateur? Man with crystal ball?
Old 07-06-2008, 00:37   #8309
mark777
Inactive

Services: 0.4 Mbps BB + Phone
mark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:

Alexander Hanff
I've always used the link below to get to the thread, then click 'last post' to get to the end. Trying to reference individual posts does not appear to work for non-BT users.

http://www.beta.bt.com/bta/forums/th...?threadID=3152
Old 07-06-2008, 00:38   #8310
labougie
Inactive

Quote:
Does this mean the only measure of security in BT is profit ?
GET REAL - profit is the ONLY thing that MATTERS!
Closed Thread