Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Please Help - Modem Mode

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Please Help - Modem Mode

Old 18-02-2021, 11:47   #1
LiamTG
cf.addict

Services: TV XL Sky Movies Internet XL Unlimited telephone
LiamTG is infamous around these partsLiamTG is infamous around these parts
Please Help - Modem Mode

Hi all,

I am trying to install a TP-Link Archer VR2800 wifi router to my Hub 3.

I have managed to get as far as putting the Hub 3 into modem mode but when I try to connect the router it is asking me for a username and password for the Hub 3 - any ideas as to what this is? Is it my SSID and Password? Has anyone had success installing this wifi router?

Thanks for reading - I did try and search for this topic but couldn't find anything so please forgive me if it has already been covered.
LiamTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-02-2021, 12:00   #2
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one
Re: Please Help - Modem Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiamTG View Post
Hi all,

I am trying to install a TP-Link Archer VR2800 wifi router to my Hub 3.

I have managed to get as far as putting the Hub 3 into modem mode but when I try to connect the router it is asking me for a username and password for the Hub 3 - any ideas as to what this is? Is it my SSID and Password? Has anyone had success installing this wifi router?

Thanks for reading - I did try and search for this topic but couldn't find anything so please forgive me if it has already been covered.
It is on the little label attached to the HB3, I hope that you have not lost it
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2021, 12:20   #3
LiamTG
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
It is on the little label attached to the HB3, I hope that you have not lost it
Thanks for your reply.

Is it an email address or is it the SSID and Password that's on the sticker on the bottom of the router/
Old 18-02-2021, 12:31   #4
Synthetic
cf.geek

Synthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to all

It'll be neither, it sounds like it's asking for PPoE creds which virgin dont use, you need to select DHCP in the router's WAN connection settings.
Synthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2021, 13:34   #5
LiamTG
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetic View Post
It'll be neither, it sounds like it's asking for PPoE creds which virgin dont use, you need to select DHCP in the router's WAN connection settings.
Thanks for your reply.

I have put the TP Link in wifi only mode. I have put the Hub 3 in Modem mode.

Connected them but get no internet.

I found the DHCP setting on the TP Link and there are options I don't understand! DHCP Server or DHCP Relay.

Which one do I need?

There is lso a setting on the TP Link called VLAN ID. Do I need this selected?

Plus an internet connection type - set a Bridge, with other options such as Static IP, Dynamic IP, PPPoE (which you said VM don't do). Which one of these would I set it at?

Thanks again.
Old 18-02-2021, 13:44   #6
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

I am wondering if the shub and router are trying to use the same ip address and when you navigate to it you are connecting to the shub instead of the router. I have had that problem before.

There are two options in the shub. Although you are presented with a login screen, you can click on router status below and it will load the connection stats for the modem side of the shub. If you wanted to take the shub out of modem mode and configure any of the router settings you would need to login. The default username is "admin" and the password is on the bottom of the shub and labelled as "settings password" and for me it is something like eight or nine numbers long.

If you are indeed having the problem that I suspected above I would suggest connecting your router to your pc first without connecting it to anything else, navigating to the gui and customising the settings such as lan ip address and dns servers. My lan ip and subnet are completely different to what the what tries to use so there is never any confusion.

Quote:
I have put the TP Link in wifi only mode. I have put the Hub 3 in Modem mode.
that means you have no router to manage the devices on your network and route the traffic hence no internet connection.

Quote:
I found the DHCP setting on the TP Link and there are options I don't understand! DHCP Server or DHCP Relay.
dhcp server

Quote:
There is lso a setting on the TP Link called VLAN ID. Do I need this selected?
no

Quote:
Plus an internet connection type - set a Bridge.
put it back in router mode or do a pinhole reset. Everything will work fine on default settings and the only thing you should be changing is your wifi ssid and password. Don't change anything else unless you know what you are doing.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2021, 15:12   #7
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

You first have to change the connection mode. It is currently set at DSL modem/router. (the clue was VLAN ID)

Go into the advanced tab and change operation mode to wireless router.

It will reboot once you click save and you should be good to go.
Attached Images
File Type: png 2021-02-18 14_08_36-Archer VR2800 – Mozilla Firefox.png (15.6 KB, 101 views)
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2021, 15:44   #8
LiamTG
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
I am wondering if the shub and router are trying to use the same ip address and when you navigate to it you are connecting to the shub instead of the router. I have had that problem before.

There are two options in the shub. Although you are presented with a login screen, you can click on router status below and it will load the connection stats for the modem side of the shub. If you wanted to take the shub out of modem mode and configure any of the router settings you would need to login. The default username is "admin" and the password is on the bottom of the shub and labelled as "settings password" and for me it is something like eight or nine numbers long.

If you are indeed having the problem that I suspected above I would suggest connecting your router to your pc first without connecting it to anything else, navigating to the gui and customising the settings such as lan ip address and dns servers. My lan ip and subnet are completely different to what the what tries to use so there is never any confusion.

that means you have no router to manage the devices on your network and route the traffic hence no internet connection.

dhcp server

no

put it back in router mode or do a pinhole reset. Everything will work fine on default settings and the only thing you should be changing is your wifi ssid and password. Don't change anything else unless you know what you are doing.
Thanks, I done a reset of the TP Link via the pinhole. I had the Hub 3 in modem mode. It connected to the internet on the laptop but no other devices would get internet from it. When I changed the SSID and password on the TP-Link via their Tether app. Nothing at all would work.

I reckon that the TP-Link may just not be compatible with the Hub 3 which is naff as it costs so much.
Old 18-02-2021, 16:08   #9
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
I reckon that the TP-Link may just not be compatible with the Hub
Things don't work like that. I don't want to sound overly harsh but I genuinely think it is more of a case of you have no idea about networking and what you are doing. I hate to say it because I have always been a staunch advocate of people buying their own proper routers but in this instance I think you'll be better off returning your router and putting the shub back in router mode. The entire reason shubs exist is to provide a user friendly experience for non-tech savvy peeps like yourself.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2021, 16:14   #10
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
Things don't work like that. I don't want to sound overly harsh but I genuinely think it is more of a case of you have no idea about networking and what you are doing. I hate to say it because I have always been a staunch advocate of people buying their own proper routers but in this instance I think you'll be better off returning your router and putting the shub back in router mode. The entire reason shubs exist is to provide a user friendly experience for non-tech savvy peeps like yourself.
I've provided the answer above.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2021, 16:20   #11
ash45
cf.member

Services: Gig1
ash45 is an unknown quantity at this point

this is a silly question but have you made sure your ethernet cable is plugged into Lan port 1 on the SH (not sure if this is still needed but it used to) and then LAN4/WAN on your TPlink as 1-3 wont work for WAN, then as pip mentions make sure under operation mode its in wireless router mode once that's set give it a reboot and it should then connect fine
ash45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2021, 19:17   #12
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
I reckon that the TP-Link may just not be compatible with the Hub 3 which is naff as it costs so much.
Simply not true (I run a TP-Link Archer C7 just fine).

Perhaps you can find a friend who understands networks to help you.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2021, 19:36   #13
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

OK put the SHUB in modem mode - you've done that. If you attach a PC to the SHUB it will get a public IP from VM and you are on line. You say you've done that so access to the internet now works.

I don't know about the router you are using but above has the details. Some routers also have a modem in for ADSL type connections, others don't. From above is seems that yours does but can also act as a wireless route. So attach your PC to the router and see if you can connect to that. Once you can do that you can do the above and go to "Wireless Router Mode". Reboot the router, can your PC still see the router? If yes now you can go about connecting the router to the SHUB.

Connect normal ethernet cable from port 1 on the SHUB to the WAN/internet port on the router. One one of mine it's coloured blue as opposed to the yellow of the LAN ports. Don't use the VDSL/ADLS port, this may have different connector anyway. If you don't have a WAN port it could be one of the LAN ports.

The SHUB will be on 192.168.100.1 in modem mode.

You want the router to act as DHCP server.
Old 19-02-2021, 09:00   #14
Synthetic
cf.geek

Synthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to all

TP-Link needs to be in router mode, SH in modem mode.

WAN connection setting needs to be DHCP, you also need DHCP enabled on the LAN side but that should be set as default anyway.

Make sure you have the your cable from the WAN port on the TP-Link into the port nearest the coax on the SH.

My TP-Link is the VDSL version but the setting for the WAN is "Internet Connection Type" = Dynamic IP for DHCP ISPS, which Virgin will be.

EDIT: Also give your SH a reboot after you've set the tp-link up, i had to do this for my pfsense box to get an IP, not sure why, or if it'll be the same here but worth a shot
Synthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2021, 10:38   #15
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetic View Post
Also give your SH a reboot after you've set the tp-link up, i had to do this for my pfsense box to get an IP, not sure why, or if it'll be the same here but worth a shot
IIRC you get a different IP in modem mode compared to router mode.