Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Old 29-04-2021, 14:09   #10381
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankysmagicpian View Post
Wouldn't Amazon love having a perm channel on tap? Anyone with Prime gets it free and they'd pack the breaks with Amazon adverts.

Disney however already have ESPN so likewise..anyone with a Disney+ sub gets the channel free.
Streamers are hopeless for live football, always at least a good 30 seconds behind.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-04-2021, 15:46   #10382
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

https://www.cityam.com/bt-in-talks-t...roadband-push/

Last part is interesting
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 16:44   #10383
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Streamers are hopeless for live football, always at least a good 30 seconds behind.

Which doesn't really matter (why do you need to be on the phone to others when watching live footballs?) - picture quality is my problem with streamers

---------- Post added at 15:44 ---------- Previous post was at 15:39 ----------

BT only got into sports to arrest the decline in broadband customers when sky moved into broadband.

BT are currently looking to maintain at least 50% of BT sports - but may be tempted in the future if their partner wants full control.

Virgin don't get involved in rights so I wouldn't expect them to bid.

However, if I was a Virgin customer with free BT sports I would be worried as I cannot see the service being free when another company gets involved.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 18:21   #10384
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
My thoughts below, in conclusion Disney or DAZN.
  • Amazon - not a heavy investor in sport as additional rights costs could not be covered by the Prime subscription.
  • BeIN - have reduced their investment in Europe in recent years and becoming more financially prudent. Unlikely.
  • DAZN - have recently signed up Matchroom Boxing in the UK so could be tempted to add BT's range of sports to make a full-scale sports offering. Have partnered with Telecom Italia in Italy so could be tempted to do the same with BT in the UK.
  • Discovery - would make a nice addition to Discovery + and also its Eurosport channels which are more prominent outside the UK. But traditionally financially prudent so unlikely to get into a bidding war.
  • Disney - own 80% of ESPN whose brand is licenced to BT. Would make a great addition to Disney+ and in return, could offer Disney + to BT.
  • Premier Sports - could only afford to invest if in collaboration with a financial investor so bring less to the party. Unlikely.
  • Sky - can't really see what's in it for them, apart from driving up the price for other buyers... which also has the side-effect of driving up analysts' valuations of Sky Sports.
Yes, I think you have that about right. I would only comment that Amazon would charge a premium over and above the Prime subscription, so they are certainly in the running if they want to get further into sport, which may not be their bag.

DAZN and Disney + are the most likely contenders I think, and that seems to be your view as well.
Old 29-04-2021, 18:50   #10385
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Yes, I think you have that about right. I would only comment that Amazon would charge a premium over and above the Prime subscription, so they are certainly in the running if they want to get further into sport, which may not be their bag.

DAZN and Disney + are the most likely contenders I think, and that seems to be your view as well.
The clear evidence from the Premier League trying to get a new contract rolled over from the current contract is that Amazon aren’t interested in anything on that scale.

The current deal gives them some low hanging fruit for peanuts. The pandemic has accelerated Prime uptake significantly. I used to track items 10 stops away that weren’t even in the same town. Now they are a matter of a few hundred yards away.

---------- Post added at 17:50 ---------- Previous post was at 17:32 ----------

Quote:
  • Sky - can't really see what's in it for them, apart from driving up the price for other buyers... which also has the side-effect of driving up analysts' valuations of Sky Sports.
Driving down the cost of rights would be hugely important as for the next few years they’d be the only game in town in the absence of those deep pocket streamers.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 19:24   #10386
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Which doesn't really matter (why do you need to be on the phone to others when watching live footballs?) - picture quality is my problem with streamers

---------- Post added at 15:44 ---------- Previous post was at 15:39 ----------

BT only got into sports to arrest the decline in broadband customers when sky moved into broadband.

BT are currently looking to maintain at least 50% of BT sports - but may be tempted in the future if their partner wants full control.

Virgin don't get involved in rights so I wouldn't expect them to bid.

However, if I was a Virgin customer with free BT sports I would be worried as I cannot see the service being free when another company gets involved.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 19:34   #10387
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Of course it isn't just "on the phone" that football can be ruined - during major events in the summer with windows/doors open you can hear people cheering down the street.

A problem even worse in flats.
Old 29-04-2021, 20:23   #10388
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:

Free really ? I think not part of package yes free no

Last edited by Hugh; 30-04-2021 at 01:20.
Itshim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 22:48   #10389
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
That's always a possibility, even if the BT Sport channels remain 100% BT owned.

In favour of them remaining in VM packages, a new owner would be unlikely to want to lose the guaranteed wholesale money from Virgin Media too quickly.
1andrew1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 23:11   #10390
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
That's always a possibility, even if the BT Sport channels remain 100% BT owned.

In favour of them remaining in VM packages, a new owner would be unlikely to want to lose the guaranteed wholesale money from Virgin Media too quickly.
My BT shares are increasing nicely
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 23:32   #10391
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
My BT shares are increasing nicely
Ssh, you're tarnishing your lefty credentials.
Old 29-04-2021, 23:53   #10392
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
Quote:

Free really ? I think not part of package yes free no
£9.25 a month is what so called free BT Sports costs VM customers at a minimum. A bargain if you're a sports fan, but not if you aren't.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 00:25   #10393
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
£9.25 a month is what so called free BT Sports costs VM customers at a minimum. A bargain if you're a sports fan, but not if you aren't.
That's not what Virgin pay per subscriber with it 'included' so take your misinformation elsewhere.

That was an absolutely notional deduction offered to people who claimed it, based on perceived value.
Old 30-04-2021, 00:57   #10394
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Richard, you get National League football. Massive teams like Wrexham, Hartlepool and Notts County, what more do you want !? Beats the pants off the Premiership..
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 01:11   #10395
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Richard, you get National League football. Massive teams like Wrexham, Hartlepool and Notts County, what more do you want !? Beats the pants off the Premiership..
In fairness, Wrexham is owned by two Hollywood stars (Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney).