Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | External HDD connected to SH3?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

External HDD connected to SH3?

Old 19-05-2018, 01:35   #1
johnathome
cf.geek

Services: 125Mb VM BB. Prime, XBMC. Paramount+, Netflix, D+
johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all
External HDD connected to SH3?

I've been looking into getting a NAS server but TBH they're a bit pricey.

Is it possible to plug, say, a 3TB external drive into my SH3 and use that as a media 'server' to stream files using kodi via my FireTV, similar to a NAS?

Just looking for a cheaper option.

---------- Post added 19-05-2018 at 00:07 ---------- Previous post was 18-05-2018 at 23:18 ----------

Well from reading around this sub it looks like i could be buying an asus router as it has an active USB and putting the SH3 into modem mode.

I tried to find a USB to ethernet converter but they all seem to be ethernet to USB.

It's still a lot cheaper than a NAS, don't think my mrs would wear me spending about £300 on one, even if she had the boxset of Nashville on demand :-)

---------- Post added at 00:35 ---------- Previous post was at 00:07 ----------

And after checking an ASUS page it said the max file size is 8GB, even under NTFS? Surely this can't be right??

Last edited by johnathome; 19-05-2018 at 00:21.
johnathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-05-2018, 13:55   #2
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
Re: External HDD connected to SH3?

No you can't just plug a normal external HDD into your Hub3.

When my external NAS drive went tits up i used my normal desktop PC with a Plex server installed, this let me stream to a compatible device like a PS4/Xbox One, not sure about Kodi as i only ever stream stuff from the net using that, but maybe it is similar as long as your PC is switched on when you want to stream, and best of all both options are FREE.
Old 19-05-2018, 14:04   #3
johnathome
cf.geek

johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all

I'm using my Laptop as the media drive at the minute using SMB via kodi, i don't mind leaving it on when i stream but the issue is space, 500GB HDD and i only have about 130GB left.

I've no need to access the files anywhere else apart from in the home so now i'm looking at one of the MyCloud options from WD or Seagate.

Kodi differs from Plex in that you don't have to transcode anything, it just plays whatever you throw at it.
Old 19-05-2018, 14:14   #4
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

The use the external drive on the laptop and allow Kodi access to it.
pip08456 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2018, 15:31   #5
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Use a Raspberry Pi as a NAS using USB drives or use a mini PC and use USB drives on that.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2018, 17:19   #6
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
The use the external drive on the laptop and allow Kodi access to it.

Yes that is what i would have done and at no cost.
Old 19-05-2018, 18:47   #7
nomadking
cf.mega poster

nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Yes that is what i would have done and at no cost.
On the other hand it ties the laptop up as it must always be on.
Old 19-05-2018, 19:27   #8
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
On the other hand it ties the laptop up as it must always be on.
Which is exactly what he is doing at present.
pip08456 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2018, 19:52   #9
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Which is exactly what he is doing at present.
And looking for an alternative that is cheaper than a full on NAS.
Old 19-05-2018, 21:56   #10
johnathome
cf.geek

Yep that will be the solution for the minute although there is no backup in case of drive failure.

Cheers all
Old 21-07-2018, 13:00   #11
johnathome
cf.geek

Well i decided to bite the bullet and with a small bonus from work bought an entry level NAS.

I was originally looking at WD my cloud but it appears the 'new' version isn't very good so I've bought a 6tb 2 bay Buffalo.

It's getting delivered today so i hope everything goes ok.
Old 22-07-2018, 12:38   #12
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathome View Post
Well i decided to bite the bullet and with a small bonus from work bought an entry level NAS.

I was originally looking at WD my cloud but it appears the 'new' version isn't very good so I've bought a 6tb 2 bay Buffalo.

It's getting delivered today so i hope everything goes ok.

I have my WD NAS setup so that my phone backups to it. This is done anywhere.
Old 22-07-2018, 15:41   #13
johnathome
cf.geek

I thought about doing that but the phone numbers and pics/videos are automatically backed up to google so i'm not sure of the advantage really although i would have a personal copy should anything happen to the gdrive they're backed up to.

I'm currently transferring some stuff to it and i gotta say the write speed is pretty slow.
Originally i was doing it over wifi and transfer speed was about 8mb, i plugged the ethernet into my laptop and the speed initally shot up to about 60mb and then dropped back to about 8-10 again.

Maybe it's the cable?