Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Brexit (Old)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Brexit (Old)
Closed Thread

Old 14-12-2018, 20:58   #5056
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Brexit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
The irony of a leave voter asking for evidence of post-Brexit reality.
Irrelevant.

I’m in a discussion forum, someone has made a claim, i’m Asking them to support that claim with evidence.

I would do this regardless of the subject of the discussion.

No irony move on, i’ll Entertain another pithy comment.
Old 14-12-2018, 21:30   #5057
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Are you going to back that statement with any evidence?

Indeed, we could make food less expensive, by importing food and not having to impose EU tariffs

https://iea.org.uk/the-eus-thousands...nish-the-poor/

https://fullfact.org/europe/will-get...fs-help-worst/
From your second link
Quote:
The value of the pound has fallen since the referendum, and that has increased pressure on food and drink prices for everyone.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 14-12-2018, 21:33   #5058
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
From your second link
You don’t get off that easy.

Show me evidence of 50% of the food we import will be more expensive.
Old 14-12-2018, 21:40   #5059
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Irrelevant.

I’m in a discussion forum, someone has made a claim, i’m Asking them to support that claim with evidence.

I would do this regardless of the subject of the discussion.

No irony move on, i’ll Entertain another pithy comment.
I challenge anyone to prove via any quantifiable means a projection using recognised economic models that the United Kingdom will be better off leaving the European Union than remaining?
Old 14-12-2018, 21:44   #5060
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I challenge anyone to prove via any quantifiable means a projection using recognised economic models that the United Kingdom will be better off leaving the European Union than remaining?
You still don’t get it. Leaving the nasty EU frees us from their shackles. Releases us from the French dominated CAP. Frees us from Germany hegemony. Sticks two fingers up to the perfidious Varadkar. Their food may cost us more if we import it; other people’s same food would cost us the same or less tariff free.

Sodding economic models mean very little given the variables and in many cases flawed assumptions.

My advice is at your risk.

Last edited by Sephiroth; 14-12-2018 at 21:55. Reason: Promoted by Hugh
Old 14-12-2018, 21:46   #5061
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
You don’t get off that easy.

Show me evidence of 50% of the food we import will be more expensive.
Past history...

https://www.ft.com/content/84807466-...8-7a9fb7d6163e
Quote:
Britain imports about half of its food, mostly from the EU, and the supermarkets have passed on higher costs to shoppers after initially absorbing the fall in the pound to maintain market share.

Vegetable prices have risen by 5.7 per cent during the past year. Coffee, tea and cocoa prices were 8.5 per cent higher in October than the same time last year, while meat was 3.9 per cent more expensive.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a7176156.html
Quote:
The price of pasta and other groceries has increased since the vote to leave the European Union, new data has shown.

The hikes are because of a weaker pound, which has made imported products - which the UK is highly dependent on - more expensive.

Price comparison website mysupermarket.co.uk, which compares all major UK stores, found the price of a shop rose by one per cent in July. In June, the price of 35 products was £82.83. However, following the Brexit vote, the same items cost £83.44...

..."A weaker pound will mean higher imported food value. I would say to government … [it] could easily be held to ransom by other parts of the world if there is a climatic disaster or if currency is weak.”
https://www.theweek.co.uk/77592/cost...blown/page/0/4
Quote:
Consumer prices rose on average by 1.6 per cent year-on-year, says the Office for National Statistics, up from 1.2 per cent in November and above a consensus forecast for a 1.4 per cent increase.

The figures show that the "fall in the pound since the Brexit vote was starting to feed into the economy", said the BBC.

Increasing food prices were a major contributor to the headline rate, an "ominous" sign that "years of falling food prices appear to be coming to an end"
Your links were forecasts/hypotheses/predictions*, my links are to actual events that happened.

*forecasts/hypotheses/predictions, when used by Government/BoE/economists, are rubbished by Brexiters**...

**including the poster quoted below

---------- Post added at 21:46 ---------- Previous post was at 21:45 ----------

[/COLOR]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
You still don’t get it. Leaving the EU frees us from their shackles. Releases us from the French dominated CAP. Frees us from Germany hegemony. Their food may cost us more if we import it; other people’s same food would cost us the same or less tariff free.

Sodding economic models mean very little given the variables and in many cases flawed assumptions.
You missed out "nasty" and "perfidious"...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 14-12-2018, 21:54   #5062
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Quote:
Past history...
Congratulations on your google search that couldn’t Back up your claim.
Old 14-12-2018, 21:56   #5063
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Past history...

https://www.ft.com/content/84807466-...8-7a9fb7d6163e

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a7176156.html

https://www.theweek.co.uk/77592/cost...blown/page/0/4

Your links were forecasts/hypotheses/predictions*, my links are to actual events that happened.

*forecasts/hypotheses/predictions, when used by Government/BoE/economists, are rubbished by Brexiters**...

**including the poster quoted below

---------- Post added at 21:46 ---------- Previous post was at 21:45 ----------

[/COLOR]You missed out "nasty" and "perfidious"...
Oops. Corrected now.

Old 14-12-2018, 21:57   #5064
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
You still don’t get it. Leaving the nasty EU frees us from their shackles. Releases us from the French dominated CAP. Frees us from Germany hegemony. Sticks two fingers up to the perfidious Varadkar. Their food may cost us more if we import it; other people’s same food would cost us the same or less tariff free.

So there’s no recognised model?
Old 14-12-2018, 22:00   #5065
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Europe couldn't pay me £100 to go there.
Old 14-12-2018, 22:04   #5066
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
I’m not going to fall for that one. You don’t get what Brexit is about and what it means to the majority that won the Referendum. Not you nor the other Remainers in this thread. You seem to value the economy as per status quo higher than our release from shackles, after which we will have no problem with continued economic development. Wobbles on the way -sure. But free from that perfidious bunch of federalists.

Old 14-12-2018, 22:13   #5067
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
I’m not going to fall for that one. You don’t get what Brexit is about and what it means to the majority that won the Referendum. Not you nor the other Remainers in this thread. You seem to value the economy as per status quo higher than our release from shackles, after which we will have no problem with continued economic development. Wobbles on the way -sure. But free from that perfidious bunch of federalists.

In French, I translate the above paragraph into "non".

---------- Post added at 22:13 ---------- Previous post was at 22:09 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
Europe couldn't pay me £100 to go there.
No need to - you're currently in Europe.
Old 14-12-2018, 22:40   #5068
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
In French, I translate the above paragraph into "non".

---------- Post added at 22:13 ---------- Previous post was at 22:09 ----------

No need to - you're currently in Europe.
and he will still be we just leaving EU not continent of Europe
Old 14-12-2018, 23:15   #5069
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
and he will still be we just leaving EU not continent of Europe

although it would be nice to 'up anchor' and drift down to the Canaries
Old 15-12-2018, 08:44   #5070
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
Looks like some people want me address this stupid question.
I do a lot of statistical work and have a decent understanding of the maths and methods. Of course I’m no economist (though I have a modest understanding of economic modelling from a year’s workmI did in the 1980s).

The essence of economic modelling is for the variables that combine to form economic output to be rationally applied. Rationally is important because these variables are highly dependent on psychological assessment of human behaviour in many dimensions. How that is applied is never explained. So, when every rational combination has been applied, the various outcomes are predicted.

What we never see is the result of each case; we only see whatever someone wants us to see. The variables are never explained to us - all we see is headlines, particularly if they are dramatic.

I expect a certain contributor to spend time picking holes in the above.

The real thing about Brexit is to get away from the EU shackles and build on that.

Closed Thread