Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Latency / Packet Loss to Cloudflare

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Virgin Media Business 5x Static Install Woes

Old 17-01-2021, 15:21   #1
prestie
cf.member

prestie is an unknown quantity at this point
Virgin Media Business 5x Static Install Woes

Good Afternoon, I've stumbled across this forum having recently had a Virgin Business line installed from a residential service. Ive been having issues consistently since the install last week, and VM have not been of much help, and I was wondering if anyone could shed any light on these issues, or if anyone has had similar issues in the past.

We moved from a residential line last week, due to some issues with downtime in the area, figured the "promises" with SLA and such on the business plan would be of some use.

After install, the engineer advised there was an issue with our GRE tunnel auth, shortly after the engineer left, the GRE tunnel came up, and passes traffic intermittently.

The behaviour I am seeing is that from a router behind the Hitron, I am seeing 100% loss to Google DNS, however when running a packet capture, I'm seeing the odd (1 in 1000 or so) response from upstream, no loss in GRE according to the Hitron, it is consistently showing as connected.

The even stranger part, it that when pinging the VM edge gateway from the router, (next hop from the Hitron) I'm seeing only 10-15% loss, and at times as low as 2%, and the same behaviour one of Virgin's DNS servers (194.168.4.100).
Edit: In addition to this, I get query responses from 194.168.4.100 with no issues.

I understand that this is likely linked to the GRE tunneling, as my traffic is being routed from the head end of the GRE tunnel, however why am I seeing little loss to nodes within Virgin Media's AS?

Spoken to an order manager and they have basically they said the fault can't be addressed by the faults team as the installation isn't technically complete, and also mentioned that the engineer shouldn't have left the site with the connection in this state, but from what I can gather there was not much he could have done from his position.

Would there be anything worth looking at or delving deeper into?

Last edited by prestie; 17-01-2021 at 15:31.
prestie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-01-2021, 15:29   #2
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Virgin Media Business 5x Static Install Woes

My response to that then is if the installation isn't complete then get someone out to "complete" the installation or someone out to fix whatever is wrong. They can't do half a job and leave you to pick up the pieces. It might not be the order manager's responsibility to remedy the problem but if he knows his company hasn't done something properly then at the very least he should be able to bring it to the attention of the right people, or put you in contact with them, to make it right.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote