Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Do I need a SH3 for 300M?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Is it possible to go back to Superhub 2???

Old 14-03-2018, 11:40   #1
Wild Oscar
cf.addict

Wild Oscar is on a distinguished roadWild Oscar is on a distinguished road
Is it possible to go back to Superhub 2???

Morning all!

Ever since I've had the SH3 I've had nothing put problems with intermittent disconnections/reboots and all that jazz , on top of that it refuses to play nicely in modem mode with my ASUS router ..

I've had two techs round to look at it in the last two weeks ... total waste of time!

anyhow my question ... is my old SH2 now 'de-commisioned'? and if so how easy is it to get it up and running again?

I had no problems with that whatsoever!
Wild Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-03-2018, 11:54   #2
SirThomas
cf.addict

Services: Vodafone 80x20 Backup, MixTV & V6, Vivid 350, Hub3 & RT-AC87u
SirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really nice
Re: Is it possible to go back to Superhub 2???

If you kept a SH2/SH2ac that was previously in use on your account, that'l be fine. Call 'em up and simply ask them to activate it in place of your faulty Hub3.

That said, it'll apparently only work on plans up to 200meg (so if you're on 300meg services it won't work).

Tom
SirThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2018, 12:50   #3
Wild Oscar
cf.addict

Ah, thank you sir!

I'll most likely do that later, I'm on 100M so that will do nicely till they sort something else out!
Old 14-03-2018, 15:53   #4
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirThomas View Post
If you kept a SH2/SH2ac that was previously in use on your account, that'l be fine. Call 'em up and simply ask them to activate it in place of your faulty Hub3.
Tom
They used to do that many years ago but it is my understanding that they haven't done that for a while now and if you want an "alternative" shub registering on your account then they will provide it for you and the new mac address will need to be registered. It doesn't matter whether it is a new shub3 or a new (as in from VM and not second hand) shub2.

The techs won't have any more stock of the shub2s that they can access however you may be able to get a refurb through the CEOs office. When the two techs came out previously did they swap the shub3 over and give you a new one? I don't understand why you are having issues in modem mode and using a proper router.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2018, 20:08   #5
Wild Oscar
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
When the two techs came out previously did they swap the shub3 over and give you a new one?
No they didn't offer that ...

The problems really started when the snow arrived (that was Tuesday 27th Feb),
The first tech came on the Friday (that was 2nd March) .. he checked everything and said the signal was fine fine up to the box on the wall , but disappeared after that, so he thought the cable up the wall and in to the property needed replacing .. Sadly he didn't have a ladder on the van so he couldn't do it himself!

On to the 2nd tech who arrived the following Tuesday about 6 in the evening (I'd already been a week with no connection!) ... oddly enough the connection had started behaving itself earlier in the day. He only checked the box on the wall and determined everything was fine and it was most likely a network problem and had sorted itself out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
I don't understand why you are having issues in modem mode and using a proper router.
Nor do I! ... Maybe this has something to do with it? .... port flapping?
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...g/td-p/3073985

Meanwhile this is todays thinkbroadband graph ... I'm not sure what any of it means? ... the large red block around midnight was the last time I tried using modem mode with the ASUS router though!

Old 14-03-2018, 23:12   #6
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Oscar View Post
Nor do I! ... Maybe this has something to do with it? .... port flapping?[/img]
nope. The red lines/bars on your graph are for packet loss which is when your router is unable to respond to the pings which TBB are sending it to acknowledge. If the wan port on the shub was going down however often for 60 seconds at a time so your asus router was unable to respond to the pings then your graph would be full of red spikes.

Quote:
Meanwhile this is todays thinkbroadband graph ... I'm not sure what any of it means?
believe it or not that looks pretty normally. You would normally want to be concerned about the red but we know why that is. When you switch from modem mode to router mode and vice versa you get a new ip address because the mac address changes on the port you are using for your wan connection and thus the ip address which TBB uses in no longer valid.

In an ideal world you would want to see a nice squeaky clean graph like the one below but unfortunately shub3 has its issues. I won't bore you with the details because there is another thread for it and you can read all about here but suffice to say the heap of yellow is normal for shub3 and nothing to worry about. The reason why mine looks a lot better is because I am on some trial firmware atm where they are fudging the graph to make it look good.

To cut a long story short though, if I were you I wouldn't be too worried atm as long as your connection stays up because everything looks okay. If it goes down again I would ring up and complain and say the tech was unable to fix the fault due to not having the right equipment and he failed to arrange a follow up visit it. When someone else comes out I would want that cable replacing you was talking about and a new shub while they are there just to rule it out. They are as cheap as chips and it is easier for them to replace there and then rather than having to come out again.

That being said though, the fact that your connection has come back up makes me think there was actually a network fault which they have fixed and the cabling thing was just bs. Have you had a look at your power levels?

Old 14-03-2018, 23:56   #7
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Our General is quite correct, you cannot go back to you old SH2, it has been removed from the network and as far as VM are concerned no longer exists.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 00:16   #8
Wild Oscar
cf.addict

Interesting info there General! , here's some screenies of the levels ...

By the way, after that midnight session fiddling around with the Superhub / Router combo, the SH3 was on it's own all night! I'm going to leave it alone for a few days now I think!

Let's hope it settles down a bit , as you say!

Thanks for your help so far!
Old 15-03-2018, 00:26   #9
General Maximus
Ran Away

It looks fine. I dont think you'll have a problem going forward. I would put the shub back in modem mode if i were you and get back to using your Asus router.
Old 15-03-2018, 00:55   #10
Wild Oscar
cf.addict

Thanks General , you've certainly put my mind at rest!

Modem Mode coming up then! ... I'll let you know how it works out ...

---------- Post added at 23:55 ---------- Previous post was at 23:40 ----------

Well, that didn't take long!

Back up and running, but a bit of a cable nightmare going on ... that's something to fiddle about with tomorrow , on my 65th birthday!

Night all ...
Old 15-03-2018, 11:09   #11
Wild Oscar
cf.addict

Well, the connections been good all night, a lot of yellow on the graph though?

Still, so far so good I suppose!
Old 15-03-2018, 11:56   #12
Jon22
cf.addict

Jon22 is on a distinguished roadJon22 is on a distinguished road

The amount of yellow ping spikes is normal for a Hub 3 on the 9.1.116V firmware. Some have a bit less though, but not by much. Do you start uploading/downloading something after 9am ish? Would explain the slight rise in average latency.
Jon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 12:00   #13
Wild Oscar
cf.addict

That could be the lad doing something, he works nights and gets home about 8am, likes his xbox too!
Old 15-03-2018, 13:06   #14
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Well, the connections been good all night, a lot of yellow on the graph though?

Still, so far so good I suppose!
From reading the post history here, I suspect your issues had nothing to do with the SH3 at all but just a Virgin issue that crops up every now and then.

Basically, when switching to modem mode you have to be very careful with how you connect the router into the hub, what order you reboot things and what things you set before and after it. This is even the case for the old standalone modems as well.

For example, if you had your computer plugged into the hub's port 1, switched to modem mode and then plugged the router in - it DEFINITELY won't work, not until you reboot both the hub and the router.

Worse still, sometimes the modem gets "stuck" and refuses to talk to anything else because you can only have so many devices "assigned" to the MAC of the modem before it just refuses to give you a new IP. This sounds remarkably like what you've experienced.

There is a way to reset/flush this that involve some jiggery-pokery with the coaxial cable but it sounds like you've got it sorted now. Just keep in mind any time you're going to change router (or swap modem/hub modes), you should really power off everything beyond the hub and reboot the hub before powering anything else back on.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 16:55   #15
Wild Oscar
cf.addict

Well, there's been no disconnections so far, so it's all behaving itself at last!

Thanks for all the inputs folks , much appreciated!