Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Crisis in the NHS

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Crisis in the NHS

Old 11-03-2018, 20:37   #451
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Crisis in the NHS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Well inflation is 2.7%, over 3 years that's 8.1%. So it's potentially a pay cut and loss of a days holiday, doesn't seem like a great deal to me, particularly when they've already lost so much through the pay cap since 2010.
And in 2014 it was 1.5%, 2015 0%, 2016 0.7%.

Also, last year, over half the staff received pay rises of 3-4% on top of the annual 1% rise.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-42167359
Quote:
These are in-the-job pay rises that staff receive for career progression. Last year, half of staff received rises worth between 3% and 4% on top of the 1% annual pay rise.
I used to get this argument from colleagues, when there was a pay freeze where I worked, but the annual increments (for those who weren't top of the scale, which was about 75% of them) were worth 3-4%.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-03-2018, 22:12   #452
Gavin78
Ice Cold

Services: XL TV M Phone 200MB BB
Gavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
And in 2014 it was 1.5%, 2015 0%, 2016 0.7%.

Also, last year, over half the staff received pay rises of 3-4% on top of the annual 1% rise.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-42167359

I used to get this argument from colleagues, when there was a pay freeze where I worked, but the annual increments (for those who weren't top of the scale, which was about 75% of them) were worth 3-4%.

That isn't really a fair argument is it? it has taken me 8 years to work up to the levels to get the pay I am on now which is £18,157.

It is a cheap way to employ staff at a lower cost doing the same job for less pay. Most private companies you work for you would have actually gone in at the top pay of 18k rather than starting down at around 15k.

It's not a payrise it's what you should be getting paid for doing the job
Gavin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 23:21   #453
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Most private companies don’t start someone at the top of a pay band - what would be the point in having a band, then?
Old 12-03-2018, 01:47   #454
Gavin78
Ice Cold

Gavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Most private companies don’t start someone at the top of a pay band - what would be the point in having a band, then?
Because it's normally public sector services that have a payband not private. You may get a few but most offer a set rate when employed by them the rest comes through promotion.

I can only assume this is to ease payments coming from the Government/public purse.

You don't suddenly get 1 million NHS workers all going in at the top banding. Some will leave before they get there other might cut their hours down. Comes in handy for schools where they employ staff on a yearly contract saving money if they need to let them go after the 12 months.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:46   #455
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin78 View Post
Because it's normally public sector services that have a payband not private. You may get a few but most offer a set rate when employed by them the rest comes through promotion.
I've worked in the private, public, staff-owned and non-profit sectors in a range of roles. All have had pay bands.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 10:46   #456
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
I've worked in the private, public, staff-owned and non-profit sectors in a range of roles. All have had pay bands.
Yup, me too.
Old 12-03-2018, 14:57   #457
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Because it's normally public sector services that have a payband not private
that's bollocks.
Old 12-03-2018, 20:58   #458
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Can we disagree without being rude, please?
Old 12-03-2018, 21:03   #459
Gavin78
Ice Cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
that's bollocks.
I've worked in the private sector the areas I worked in never had pay bands and a lot don't I guess it depends on the company. but I've never seen a private company with 8 or more pay bands?
Old 12-03-2018, 21:27   #460
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
I've worked in the private sector the areas I worked in never had pay bands and a lot don't I guess it depends on the company. but I've never seen a private company with 8 or more pay bands?
I think most organisations over a certain size will have grades, the key determinant will be size not ownership although I guess public sector organisations tend not to be fewer than 20 staff.
Old 12-03-2018, 21:56   #461
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
I doubt very much that the employee in Band 2 (15-18k) is doing the same job as employees in band 9 (79-100k).

https://www.rcn.org.uk/employment-an...scales-2017-18

Last edited by Hugh; 12-03-2018 at 22:00.
Old 12-03-2018, 22:16   #462
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I doubt very much that the employee in Band 2 (15-18k) is doing the same job as employees in band 9 (79-100k).

Agreed.
I suspect - the larger the organisation, the number of bands.
Old 12-03-2018, 22:33   #463
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:

the one in Band 2 probably works a lot harder and has more stress ! Such is life...
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 22:56   #464
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
the one in Band 2 probably works a lot harder and has more stress ! Such is life...
Yes, I had that comment made to me when I was an IT Director at a University by a Programmer (Grade 6, pay band 33-38k) who worked a 37 hour week, compared to my 60 hour week...

He wasn’t the one fighting to keep him and his colleagues in a job when all the funding got cut.
Old 14-03-2018, 02:22   #465
Gavin78
Ice Cold

Quote:
Yes, I had that comment made to me when I was an IT Director at a University by a Programmer (Grade 6, pay band 33-38k) who worked a 37 hour week, compared to my 60 hour week...

He wasn’t the one fighting to keep him and his colleagues in a job when all the funding got cut.
So basically you just think everyone is a piece of crap below you then that the work they do is worth nothing for the pay they get because of the level you have worked at?