Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Crisis in the NHS

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Crisis in the NHS

Old 25-03-2018, 15:27   #481
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts
Re: Crisis in the NHS

About time they deserve it.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-03-2018, 18:19   #482
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Interesting move as PM is set to overrule the Treasury and raise NHS spending
Quote:
Theresa May is planning to plough billions of extra pounds a year into health spending as part of a “birthday present” to mark the 70th anniversary of the NHS.
Senior government sources say the prime minister will overrule the Treasury and boost spending to tackle growing waiting times and neutralise Labour’s political trump card.
The announcement, scheduled for July, is expected to lead to up to £4bn extra annually for the health service over the next 10 years. A special NHS tax is “still on the table”, a cabinet source said.
The new money will kick in from next spring, as Britain leaves the European Union, allowing ministers to argue that the government has begun to fulfil the pledge of Vote Leave...
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/n...-nhs-8m92t89hd
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2018, 19:22   #483
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Jeremy Hunt admits NHS spending boost would mean a tax rise.

Quote:
Health secretary Jeremy Hunt has conceded he believes taxes may have to rise to pay for a boost in NHS spending.
Quote:
A growing number of Conservative MPs have been raising the issue of the underfunding of healthcare – particularly the social care system – and some have suggested a dedicated “NHS tax”.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-mean-tax-rise
Old 26-03-2018, 07:59   #484
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Jeremy Hunt admits NHS spending boost would mean a tax rise.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-mean-tax-rise
Unfortunately, yes. We are still searching for that money tree...
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 16:48   #485
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Unfortunately, yes. We are still searching for that money tree...
What the same money tree that props up HMG..
Old 26-03-2018, 18:37   #486
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
What the same money tree that props up HMG..
That's right. Our wallets and purses. More Government spending means less money for you and me in the end.
Old 26-03-2018, 23:02   #487
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
That's right. Our wallets and purses. More Government spending means less money for you and me in the end.
If it means our loved ones have an ambulance in a reasonable period of time then some of us will dip into our wallets.
An elderly friend of my mother's had a bad fall in the high street broke her leg. Fortunately, the weather was not as bad as it has been. She had to wait four hours for an ambulance to come. If that means a few quid less each month for those of us in work to cough up, at what stage do we become heartless and say let the elderly wait so we can spend it on ourselves? For everyone will become old some time.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2018, 09:11   #488
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
If it means our loved ones have an ambulance in a reasonable period of time then some of us will dip into our wallets.
An elderly friend of my mother's had a bad fall in the high street broke her leg. Fortunately, the weather was not as bad as it has been. She had to wait four hours for an ambulance to come. If that means a few quid less each month for those of us in work to cough up, at what stage do we become heartless and say let the elderly wait so we can spend it on ourselves? For everyone will become old some time.
I think that all of us want a more efficient health service, Andrew. The NHS need to move into the current century and make better use of computer systems for a start. However, the whole structure is creaking and badly needs an overhaul and practices need to be made more efficient.

Just pouring money into this antiquated system, which seems to be stuck in the 1970s, is not good enough.
Old 28-03-2018, 00:25   #489
RizzyKing

I'm not sure more money is the answer tbh i think how the money is spent is what needs to be closely scrutinised and the number of non front line staff be reduced as those positions most of them 9 to 5 pay significantly better then nurses get. Is it coincidence that as beaurocracy has increased in the NHS quality and service has got worse we have thousands of managers and advisors costing a literal fortune who are not getting results. Have one department in the NHS to purchase everything let the scale of the NHS deliver bulk buying discounts which again would save a fortune.
Old 28-03-2018, 10:49   #490
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

But you always need someone to run the efficiency team and to handle transition and they need a team and oversight and so on it goes.

The NHS does need good managers as well as good clinical, technical, service and other staff. Problem has often been promoting good staff to management roles. (I know I've said this before.) So you end up with poor managers working over poor or overworked staff.

And too many old boy (or girl) networks, bad contracts with suppliers, too many people in the chain preserving the chain to preserve their interests.

More money in would result in more people to ensure it's spent properly costing more money.

And while it's hopefully not as bad as it was more common sense won't go amiss either. If you notice a water spill, get some paper towels and wipe it up, doesn't matter if you are a manger, don't fill in a form to get some janitor to come along with the official mop and sign.
Old 28-03-2018, 11:33   #491
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
But you always need someone to run the efficiency team and to handle transition and they need a team and oversight and so on it goes.

The NHS does need good managers as well as good clinical, technical, service and other staff. Problem has often been promoting good staff to management roles. (I know I've said this before.) So you end up with poor managers working over poor or overworked staff.

And too many old boy (or girl) networks, bad contracts with suppliers, too many people in the chain preserving the chain to preserve their interests.

More money in would result in more people to ensure it's spent properly costing more money.

And while it's hopefully not as bad as it was more common sense won't go amiss either. If you notice a water spill, get some paper towels and wipe it up, doesn't matter if you are a manger, don't fill in a form to get some janitor to come along with the official mop and sign.
I agree with your second paragraph.

I would not mind more money going into recruiting more front line staff, but there are still too many managers in the NHS. The whole system needs to be shaken up.

As long as there is real reform, then if money is also needed for pump priming and to make it work much better in the long term, you won't get objections from me. I think that's something most people would be prepared to accept.
Old 30-03-2018, 03:23   #492
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

Easter Sunday marks 1 year since my first bout of Pancreatitis came on. Ive had it 5 times since then, hospitalized 3 times and a major life saving operation in November after a psudocyst exploded on my Pancreas ripping it apart and causing Sepsis.

The NHS have been great to me from the cleaning staff right upto the ward sisters, i really cannot complain. I have a CT Scan every 3 months making sure the cyst isnt growing again and i see a consultant every 3 months for the results.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2018, 08:25   #493
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbjames View Post
Easter Sunday marks 1 year since my first bout of Pancreatitis came on. Ive had it 5 times since then, hospitalized 3 times and a major life saving operation in November after a psudocyst exploded on my Pancreas ripping it apart and causing Sepsis.

The NHS have been great to me from the cleaning staff right upto the ward sisters, i really cannot complain. I have a CT Scan every 3 months making sure the cyst isnt growing again and i see a consultant every 3 months for the results.
Glad to hear you are better now, Alan.

Yes, the medical expertise and indeed some other parts of the NHS work very well indeed. The problem is the bits that don't - the administration, the lack of good computer systems with over-reliance on paperwork, parts of the NHS that are not linked to other parts so that your medical information isn't available to the practitioner you are seeing, the top heavy management structure, restricted hours in doctor's surgeries (leading to undue pressure in A&E) - the list goes on and on.

This will take time to fix, but fix it we must.
Old 30-03-2018, 22:03   #494
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

Sorry to say this but the NHS has been in decline for many years. Due to cuts. And it is only the brilliant staff at our hospitals that they are kept running

Approx 12 months ago we got advised that our regular surgery was merging with another. As the local authority wanted to make surgreris work better.

So we were moved to another surgery that has in the region of 13.000 patients. Our surgery had 14.000 and had four GPs.

My wife had an appointment the other day. When she arrived, she had two ailments. But there is a sign at the surgery that states ' One ailment at one appointment only' so had to return two days later.

Only Ten minutes appointments are allowed. This is totally ridiculous.

The NHS needs urgent funding. And it needs to come from the Government and NOT by increase of tax.

Yes, l would agree to paying extra tax - but only if it covered everything. And not just the NHS

All staff in NHS need our deepest respect
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 12:49   #495
Gavin78
Ice Cold

Services: XL TV M Phone 200MB BB
Gavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post
Sorry to say this but the NHS has been in decline for many years. Due to cuts. And it is only the brilliant staff at our hospitals that they are kept running

Approx 12 months ago we got advised that our regular surgery was merging with another. As the local authority wanted to make surgreris work better.

So we were moved to another surgery that has in the region of 13.000 patients. Our surgery had 14.000 and had four GPs.

My wife had an appointment the other day. When she arrived, she had two ailments. But there is a sign at the surgery that states ' One ailment at one appointment only' so had to return two days later.

Only Ten minutes appointments are allowed. This is totally ridiculous.

The NHS needs urgent funding. And it needs to come from the Government and NOT by increase of tax.

Yes, l would agree to paying extra tax - but only if it covered everything. And not just the NHS

All staff in NHS need our deepest respect
I think the 10 minute appointments are enough to be honest and they do often go over them depending on the situation but most symptoms can be diagnosed within 5 mins of going in. Most GP's tell you on the doors or the new flash boards that depending on the nature of the the problem some appointments can go over the 10mins.

As for the NHS tax well my main concern for this is that it isn't some kind of stealth tax that turns into privatizing the NHS further down the line and this tax payment becomes a Health payment like they do in America
Gavin78 is offline   Reply With Quote