Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Lightbulb help.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology

Lightbulb help.

Old 17-03-2018, 23:07   #16
richard s
Permanently Banned

Services: Tivo XL 150mb broadband L phone
richard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful one
Re: Lightbulb help.

Look on Amazon plenty of dimable bulbs... ES = Edison screw; ESC + Edison Small Screw.
richard s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-03-2018, 00:36   #17
nashville
nashville

Services: Virgin Media
nashville has a nice shiny star
nashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny star

Interesting page
nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 12:09   #18
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod View Post
..I have one of these which uses a 300W dim-able, giant edison screw, incandescent bulb.
Photo? There are some out there for commercial use that have the oversized ES thread, but they start around £45 from what I've seen. But you can buy adapters that can drop them to ES27 so you can use more modern (and much cheaper) bulbs.
Taf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 14:06   #19
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

So confused about light bulbs now, the last time i bought any they were energy saving twisty looking ones similar to the picture.

What is the equivalent to these now that i need to buy?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l300.jpg (16.8 KB, 52 views)
Old 18-03-2018, 15:36   #20
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Those are CFL (Compact flourescent) nasty things with Mercury in and usually slow to get going. I've also had two go off with a bang. You can still get them and they're better than they used to be.

Modern lamps are LED*, quick to start and often dimmable. Fully solid state. Long life. They contain no nasty stuff and available in a variety of styles.

*Light emitting diode. A specially manufactured crystal that emits strong blue light in this case. Covered with a phosphor that converts some of the blue to yellow, by varying the mix you get the different qualities (Colour temperature) of white.
Old 18-03-2018, 16:36   #21
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard s View Post
Look on Amazon plenty of dimable bulbs... ES = Edison screw; ESC + Edison Small Screw.
Found this on Amazon but it's 400W. Since it's not an incandescent bulb, would that matter?

Edit: Tadaa!

edit again: £49 delivery! ......nope!

Last edited by Ramrod; 18-03-2018 at 16:43.
Ramrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 16:41   #22
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I'm looking at gradually replacing all my bulb as they die with Philips Hue bulbs.

The downside is cost. Upto £50 a bulb.

But hall lights will be pure white and around £13, and some I might do white accents which are £25.
Old 18-03-2018, 16:59   #23
Taf
cf.mega poster

Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Found this on Amazon but it's 400W. Since it's not an incandescent bulb, would that matter?

Edit: Tadaa!

edit again: £49 delivery! ......nope!

From my mate's shop... but probably better suited to a lighthouse

http://www.green-lamp.co.uk/product/250w-cfl-bulbs/

or use this type of adapter to use standard E27 bulbs

http://www.green-lamp.co.uk/product/...light-adaptor/
Old 18-03-2018, 19:08   #24
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
From my mate's shop... but probably better suited to a lighthouse

http://www.green-lamp.co.uk/product/250w-cfl-bulbs/

or use this type of adapter to use standard E27 bulbs

http://www.green-lamp.co.uk/product/...light-adaptor/
8000 lumens! 'kin 'ell
I was about to buy that but then I noticed that it weighs half a kilo! I think I'll get the adaptor and then the world is my mollusc as far as light bulbs go

Last edited by Ramrod; 18-03-2018 at 19:15.
Ramrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 12:23   #25
Taf
cf.mega poster

Quote:
8000 lumens! 'kin 'ell
I was about to buy that but then I noticed that it weighs half a kilo!D
I know many who use those lamps for raising chilli plants, and are shocked when they see it's size and weight.

I was gifted an LED array called a UFO that kicks out 9250 lumens. You daren't look anywhere near it....
Old 21-03-2018, 02:05   #26
Matth
Inactive

Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Matth has reached the bronze age
Matth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Whilst we are on the topic of bulbs and there seems to be a few knowledgeable people here.....I have one of these which uses a 300W dim-able, giant edison screw, incandescent bulb.
Due to the EU rules, I'm having a hard time sourcing a replacement 300W dim-able incandescent and the LEDs that I've found aren't dim-able or 300W.
Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Is this it https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CROMPTON-...MAAOSw3aNanr8Z

Dimmable LED are designed to work with LED compatible dimmers, it's uncertain if they would provide sufficient hold current for a conventional dimmer unless sharing with a conventional bulb, and the response range could be narrow.

Last edited by Matth; 21-03-2018 at 02:10.
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2018, 10:56   #27
Brunel
Chief Mechanical Engineer

Services: V.M. M. 125 November 6 2018. Finally connected.
Brunel is a jewel in the roughBrunel is a jewel in the roughBrunel is a jewel in the roughBrunel is a jewel in the roughBrunel is a jewel in the rough

https://www.theinternetelectricalstore.com/
Brunel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2018, 11:29   #28
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

One thing that you have to do these days - pay attention to the colour temp of the bulbs you buy!

At Christmas I decided it was time for my Dad to get swapped from CFL bulbs to LEDs - the CFLs were taking ages to start up so didn't actually help when you needed light.

However I ended ordering the wrong colour temp bulbs from B&Q - ended up with Cool White rather than Warm White bulbs.

Didn't notice until I started swapping them and wondered why the rooms looked odd.

Luckily B&Q are pretty good for their returns policy and manage to swap all that I needed for Warm White bulbs. Actually ended up leaving a couple as Cool White as they seem to be better for reading and working.
Old 21-03-2018, 11:35   #29
Brunel
Chief Mechanical Engineer

Services: V.M. M. 125 November 6 2018. Finally connected.
Brunel is a jewel in the roughBrunel is a jewel in the roughBrunel is a jewel in the roughBrunel is a jewel in the roughBrunel is a jewel in the rough

There is also a "Daylight white" lamp available now.

Midway between warm & cool.

Have a look on SCREWFIX or TOOLSTATION.

CPC have a large amount of LED lamps in stock.
Brunel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2018, 11:51   #30
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunel View Post
There is also a "Daylight white" lamp available now.
Isn't Daylight above Cool White i.e:

Warm White (around 3000K) > Cool White (around 4500K) > Daylight White (around 6500K)