Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Sky Glass TV

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q

Sky Glass TV

Old 11-10-2021, 16:53   #46
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era
Re: Bye bye Virgin Media?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
I thought these were LG? Nothing wrong with LG TVs

But you are right for the price I would buy Hisense and save a few hundred quid

The next thing I buy by choice ie if my existing tv lasts is a short throw projector and one of those really nice none reflective screens but that is years off my pocket hahahaha
I have just read the review - it states the screen is a Panasonic

The thing I was most interested in was the recording side of Glass - this was not mentioned at all (I have been told it can to the cloud - in which case I would want to know how long a recording would be available for)

Last edited by Raider999; 11-10-2021 at 16:59.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-10-2021, 17:09   #47
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
I have just read the review - it states the screen is a Panasonic

The thing I was most interested in was the recording side of Glass - this was not mentioned at all (I have been told it can to the cloud - in which case I would want to know how long a recording would be available for)
Dunno where I got LG from then hahaha
Jaymoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 17:21   #48
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
Dunno where I got LG from then hahaha

I believe I read an article that said all OLED are either LG or produced by others under license to LG.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 17:50   #49
TimeLord2018
cf.geek

TimeLord2018 is a jewel in the roughTimeLord2018 is a jewel in the roughTimeLord2018 is a jewel in the roughTimeLord2018 is a jewel in the roughTimeLord2018 is a jewel in the rough
Re: Sky Glass TV

The Sky Glass TV is made by TP Vision who make Philips TV sets

Quote:
The panel itself is supplied by TP Vision, the company behind Philips TVs. It combines the quantum dot technology made famous by Samsung's QLED TVs with a direct LED backlight. Perhaps unsurprisingly, Sky isn't getting into specifics such as the number of dimming zones Sky Glass has, or its peak brightness figures.
https://www.whathifi.com/advice/sky-...thout-the-dish
TimeLord2018 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 18:05   #50
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inactive Digital View Post
I think the level of functionality that is disabled if you cancel your subscription needs clarifying by Sky. I don't understand how buyers can be prevented from using Glass with another provider (eg VM) unless the HDMI inputs are disabled.
I suspect that they were referring to the Smart TV functionality disappearing if you cancelled Sky, leaving you with just the terrestrial channels via aerial.

I agree that as the TV has HDMI, you must be able to use streaming sticks and alternative boxes.
Old 12-10-2021, 21:46   #51
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Suspect given the entrenched poverty caused by energy prices, Universal Credit cuts, etc that Sky don’t want to be advertising interest free TVs to non-subscribers. Especially in the early days. Hence the lack of specificity.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2021, 12:06   #52
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I suspect that they were referring to the Smart TV functionality disappearing if you cancelled Sky, leaving you with just the terrestrial channels via aerial.

I agree that as the TV has HDMI, you must be able to use streaming sticks and alternative boxes.
It'll work as a freeview tv once you cancel subscription, notes we have say you'll still be able to use Netflix, prime etc but noth SKQ itself.
You can connect 3 devices via the HDMI ports, if you have a hdmi switch/splitter you can ofcourse connect more devices, it does work with VM boxes no problems, however if you're staying with VM you'd be better of buying a standard smart tv, the SKY glass isn't all that from what we've been told in office.
I'm yet to see one but we're having a demo one in this week so i'll hopefully have more info then unless only the oompa loompas upstairs get the demo.
Old 17-10-2021, 00:38   #53
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Sky Glass Channel lineup revealed on DS Forum:

Highlights are:

-ViacomCBS to launch HD Channels for 5 Star and 5 USA

-Sky to launch HD Channels for Pick and Sky Replay

-BBC to launch HD Channels for BBC Alba and BBC Parliament

-Sky to add up to FIVE UHD Channels to EPG

In full: https://forums.digitalspy.com/discus...mment_99765764
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2021, 00:40   #54
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
Highlights are:

-BBC to launch HD Channels for BBC Alba and BBC Parliament
Thats a Highlight

Pass.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2021, 20:45   #55
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

I'd think about the 43" for our bedroom as don't currently have one there.

It's got decent specs and a soundbar built in. So wall mounting it would mean only having a power cable to hide.

In that respect its brilliant.
Old 17-10-2021, 21:17   #56
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Can't wait for Virgin sand to launch. :p
Old 18-10-2021, 05:08   #57
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

and what is Virgin Sand ?

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 11:01   #58
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
I think Legendkiller2k is referencing something they've seen at work and can't talk about yet.

Sand basically being part of glass production is just humourous way to say it's a Virgin Media branded TV product.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 11:57   #59
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

I think he is more likely just having a laugh.
Old 18-10-2021, 14:00   #60
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post

Must be a beach somewhere nobody has walked on...
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote