Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Asus RT-AC86U vs VM Hub 3.0 worth it?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

Asus RT-AC86U vs VM Hub 3.0 worth it?

Old 17-01-2021, 20:32   #1
perky890@gmail.c
cf.member

perky890@gmail.c is an unknown quantity at this point
Asus RT-AC86U vs VM Hub 3.0 worth it?

Hi guys.

Stumbled upon this forum via google and thought it would be a great place to ask a couple of questions regarding upgrading my router.

My ISP is virgin media and im running the Hub 3.0 on a 200mbs connection.

I have the following wifi devices on my network: my phone, partners phone, house alarm, x2 TVs, x3 amazon echos, x2 fire sticks, x2 laptops and the central heating.

I have noticed a greater average wifi speed since upgrading to 200mbs from 100mbs (assuming its because there is greater bandwidth to share amongst everything connected to the network) however its not as fast as i was hoping.

When connected to the router via ethernet i do get 200mbs however via wifi ive measured 90mbs max with an average of around 60mbs.
In the room the furthest from the router (circa 10m line of sight through a floor and 2 brick walls) it is only around 20mbs on a good day. All on 2.4ghz.

Im looking for better wifi speeds if possible all around the house without moving the router. I do have a TP link poweline range extender on the landing however i only get around 40mbs from that.

Im considering putting my hub in modem mode and getting an Asus RT-AC86U router.

If i do this is it realistic to expect faster wifi speeds all around and a better range thus giving me faster speeds in the room furthest away?

Many thanks.
perky890@gmail.c is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-01-2021, 23:16   #2
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts
Re: Asus RT-AC86U vs VM Hub 3.0 worth it?

U will definitely get better range and i would also say faster speeds.

I had that router and was using it for 2 years until it packed in on me and it was brilliant.

The router i can definitely recommend.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 23:21   #3
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Except that it’s liable to pack up after 2 years? I’d hope for considerably more life than 2 years from any piece of electronics.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2021, 20:14   #4
Corey N Georgie
cf.addict

Services: 1GB Volt, Telephone all Inclusive.
Corey N Georgie is a jewel in the roughCorey N Georgie is a jewel in the roughCorey N Georgie is a jewel in the roughCorey N Georgie is a jewel in the roughCorey N Georgie is a jewel in the rough

Maybe mine was a one off? Asus wouldn't have such a good name if everyone had this issue.
Corey N Georgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2021, 16:46   #5
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

For the cost you can afford a Mesh system which imo is a far better option
Jaymoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2021, 11:33   #6
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age

Hi Perky

The Asus AC86U is a better WiFi router than the Hub 3 but its likely you will still see issues over range. The router may perform better at closer range with a better throughput but i wouldn't be surprised to see only marginal differences between the 2 devices. It will definitely be better than a range extender (they cause more problems than they solve!) but don't expect your world to change by adding a better router.

I have a Nighthawk AX12 (WiFi 6) and the throughput is only slightly better with similar range to a Hub3 (although it has WiFi 6 which is a bonus).

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2021, 13:21   #7
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

OP

You may want to change your username so it's not your email!
Old 26-01-2021, 19:23   #8
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

First of all, I’d be ruling if there’s any other networks on the 2.4Ghz band (neighbours etc) n conflicting channels, if there is then change the channel