Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Live stream on twitch

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Live stream on twitch

Old 20-11-2019, 23:11   #1
KillerCroc1
cf.member

Services: Amazon Prime Video Netflix Discovery+ apple Tv and xbox
KillerCroc1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Live stream on twitch

I'm watching a live stream on twitch I always get 300+ download how much of my speed gets eaten up by this as surly it's not 200mbs + as I'm sitting at 90mbps and no issues in my area and virgin have said to reset my hub 3 again this will be the fourth time this week so I'm posting here to see if anyone knows what's going on also my jitter is over 170 for some reason and I am getting packet loss
KillerCroc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-11-2019, 13:44   #2
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Re: Live stream on twitch

....can you repeat that, but with some punctuation so we can understand what it is you're trying to say?
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2019, 14:46   #3
KillerCroc1
cf.member

How much bandwidth does twitch use as surly it can't be using 200mbps as when I watch a stream my speed drops insanely low
Old 24-11-2019, 14:58   #4
wildfruit
cf.member

Services: M600, talk more anytime 2 x V6, sky cinema, Sky sports Maxit TV, kids pack, unlimited sim
wildfruit is an unknown quantity at this point

Shouldn’t be anything to do with your speed. Max bit rate on twitch is 6mb.
Open task manager when you’re on a stream. How much is the cpu being used?
wildfruit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2019, 17:21   #5
KillerCroc1
cf.member

It's all good on pc this issue only happens when I use the twitch app on Android TV and do a speed test on another device
Old 24-11-2019, 23:04   #6
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

I was slightly curious because I have never used twitch before so I thought I would do a little experiment. The first test is a normal non-twitch test with a torrent uploading in the background and the second test is same conditions with a live twitch stream going. Although both test were done one after the other I saw a 40mbits drop in the twitch test which is more than the 6mbits wildfruit suggested but it is still negligible and not connection killing.

Edit: I wanted a definitive answer so to prove a point I did the test three times and each time the results were the same. The top row is the non-twitch and bottom is with twitch going. We can be confident that twitch uses 40mbits.

Last edited by General Maximus; 24-11-2019 at 23:13.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 10:58   #7
KillerCroc1
cf.member

Can the admin/mods close this post please it wasn't virgin it was a twitch issue and they have updated the app I no longer have the issue