Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media UK axe Sky Sports on V Boxes.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media UK axe Sky Sports on V Boxes.

Old 31-08-2019, 09:35   #16
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Re: Virgin Media Community: Virgin Media UK axe Sky Sports on V Boxes. Virgin Media C

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
It's not my style to go around snitching on people, this sort of thing is best left to others

The idea was a non starter anyway as it only covers TV. I would lose various discounts if I cancelled my official TV subscription. This, coupled with the charge for the pirated service, would have actually cost me more. In addition, there's no comeback if the pirated content stops functioning and they refuse to resolve the issue.
That's a pretty poor attitude to have.

So let's say you saw a mugging or someone stealing from a store, would you call the Police, or report the crime?

I am sure you would, a crime is a crime at the end of the day. Piracy is no different.
Old 31-08-2019, 11:07   #17
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: Virgin Media Community: Virgin Media UK axe Sky Sports on V Boxes. Virgin Media C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post

So let's say you saw a mugging or someone stealing from a store, would you call the Police, or report the crime?

I am sure you would, a crime is a crime at the end of the day. Piracy is no different.
Piracy is often seen as a little different, because on first appearances, the victim isn't an individual. It's a huge faceless organisation that can probably afford the losses.

The problem is, the huge faceless organisation isn't the victim as it will either pass on the cost to it's customers, or (in extreme cases) it may decide the service is unprofitable and cut some of the programming. Either way, other users are the victims, not the huge faceless organisation.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2019, 14:54   #18
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:

Perhaps I should start with reporting you for not having a TV licence
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2019, 22:30   #19
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
It's not my style to go around snitching on people, this sort of thing is best left to others

The idea was a non starter anyway as it only covers TV. I would lose various discounts if I cancelled my official TV subscription. This, coupled with the charge for the pirated service, would have actually cost me more. In addition, there's no comeback if the pirated content stops functioning and they refuse to resolve the issue.
I wonder if you would feel the same way if someone stole something from you, but people who saw it happen said the same thing.

Upholding the law is not "snitching".
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 14:36   #20
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Quote:

Aye we can't really complain about bills going up if there is piracy going on and no one is reporting it but letting it go on.
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 14:52   #21
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
I wonder if you would feel the same way if someone stole something from you, but people who saw it happen said the same thing.

Upholding the law is not "snitching".
If it was an individual or a small business I may think differently, but I doubt that John Malone will be goung to a food bank anytime soon as a result of this.

Are you going to report any of the people who have admitted to using a TV without a licence on here, or those who use other peoples log ins for streaming services, because i'm not.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 03-09-2019 at 15:52.
Old 03-09-2019, 16:13   #22
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

OK - we know where you stand on upholding the law.

"It depends"...

And since the posters on here are anonymous, unlike the criminal who approached you, your comparison is invalid.
Old 03-09-2019, 16:18   #23
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
OK - we know where you stand on upholding the law.

"It depends"...

And since the posters on here are anonymous, unlike the criminal who approached you, your comparison is invalid.
Your interpretation is correct.

It's perfectly possible to trace people on the internet, as i'm sure you're well aware.

Do you think that those on here who don't have a TV licence or log into other peoples accounts for streaming services are "criminals"?
Old 03-09-2019, 16:52   #24
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:

It's perfectly possible to trace people on the internet, as i'm sure you're well aware.

Do you think that those on here who don't have a TV licence or log into other peoples accounts for streaming services are "criminals"?
I'm not the one who accuses others of being "snitches"...
Old 03-09-2019, 17:33   #25
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:

Those that don't have a TV licence but should are breaking the law. I only know one person on here I believe might need a TV licence but stated they didn't have one. I personally bought that up to Mick on here but he didn't want to know.

Those streaming using other people's logins aren't breaking the law and in some cases aren't even breaking the terms and conditions of the streaming site.

---------- Post added at 17:33 ---------- Previous post was at 17:32 ----------

Quote:
If it was an individual or a small business I may think differently, but I doubt that John Malone will be goung to a food bank anytime soon as a result of this.

Are you going to report any of the people who have admitted to using a TV without a licence on here, or those who use other peoples log ins for streaming services, because i'm not.
Doesn't matter how big or small the business is. That's a horrible stance to have.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 19:47   #26
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I'm not the one who accuses others of being "snitches"...
No, you're not, but that doesn't answer my question. If you're so concerned about this, you could always start reporting people yourself.

I think that most people will have (intentionally or unintentionally) broken the law at some point in their lives, eg going slightly over the speed limit, drinking after time, continuing to watch TV after midnight until they can renew their licence the following morning.

Let him without sin cast the first stone and all that...
Old 03-09-2019, 21:00   #27
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
No, you're not, but that doesn't answer my question. If you're so concerned about this, you could always start reporting people yourself.

I think that most people will have (intentionally or unintentionally) broken the law at some point in their lives, eg going slightly over the speed limit, drinking after time, continuing to watch TV after midnight until they can renew their licence the following morning.

Let him without sin cast the first stone and all that...
I’m not the one who admitted aiding and abetting, you are...
Old 04-09-2019, 17:34   #28
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I’m not the one who admitted aiding and abetting, you are...
Are you going to report me then? What about those members who illegally obtain pirated material on the internet? Are you going to report them too?

Edit: Just spoken to our solicitor and have been advised that an offence of aiding and abetting has not occurred in this instance. Also, there is no legal duty on me to report the pirating of VM services.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 04-09-2019 at 17:58.
Old 04-09-2019, 19:24   #29
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

"Our solicitor"...

<snigger>
Old 04-09-2019, 19:29   #30
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
"Our solicitor"...

<snigger>
Why the snigger? She also advised me that your published claim that I had broken the law was potentially libellous. A withdrawal of the accusation and an apology would be greatly appreciated.