Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Old 10-06-2013, 21:11   #1831
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Hi Madmax, It absolutely ridiculous to think that they don't have anything to say yet, l think they are waiting to see what happens. BUT, VM should at least them them know that BT Sports will be on the system by testing the channels, such as Sky are doing.

This is very typical of VM to keeps it customers waiting.
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-06-2013, 21:47   #1832
Mr Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post
Hi Madmax, It absolutely ridiculous to think that they don't have anything to say yet, l think they are waiting to see what happens. BUT, VM should at least them them know that BT Sports will be on the system by testing the channels, such as Sky are doing.

This is very typical of VM to keeps it customers waiting.
Arthur they haven't done a deal with Sky, they have an epg slot and they will be selling it direct to Sky customers. Anyone taking BT sports on Sky will get a bill from BT.

Virgin don't want to go that route and want to be a reseller of BT sports. BTs marketing guy John Petter was interviewed today and actually said that they are still in discussion with VM but no deal had been done as yet.

Really don't understand what you don't get about this situation?
Old 10-06-2013, 22:05   #1833
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Out of curiosity, do you work for Virgin?
No I don't work for VM.

I just find this bringing up of capped speeds as a 'problem' crazy.

If the capping caused problems, then fair enough. but they don't.

They do not prevent people downloading as much as they want. Capped VM speeds are faster than most other BB speeds. VM do not hide the fact that they exist and I personally believe that the vast majority of people are not affected by them.

You refered to VM BB as:

Quote:
The big problem is the 30mb connection has really tight usage restrictions

And this simply isn't the case.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 22:27   #1834
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
No I don't work for VM.
Just wondering as you seem to know your stuff and your passionate about it.

Quote:
I just find this bringing up of capped speeds as a 'problem' crazy.
I suppose it comes down to what your opinion on the subject is. I think that people not having a problem with this is crazy

Quote:
If the capping caused problems, then fair enough. but they don't.
Again it's all about opinion. There will be hundreds of thousands of Virgin broadband who never suffer capping. For me personally it was a problem when I had Virgin broadband. I wasn't happy with the speeds I was getting through the day, due to my usage of the service, in reflection to what I was paying.

Quote:
They do not prevent people downloading as much as they want. Capped VM speeds are faster than most other BB speeds. VM do not hide the fact that they exist and I personally believe that the vast majority of people are not affected by them.
It's a good point I can't argue with.

Quote:
You refered to VM BB as:

The big problem is the 30mb connection has really tight usage restrictions

And this simply isn't the case.
Again it's all about personal opinion. When I was having financial issues I moved from 100mb to 30mb for a short period. The download limits and speed restrictions for me where a problem and difficult to get used to. I suppose coming down from 100mb might have exaggerated my perception of the issue.

When it comes right down to it each and every customer will decide what is right for them. What I view as a problem, others might find acceptable and visa versa.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:57   #1835
Doug P
Inactive

Services: Virgin Cable TV (Tivo) and Freeview
Doug P has reached the bronze age
Doug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze age

If BT won't play ball then there is little VM can do.
Doug P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 15:31   #1836
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

VM should be looking after there customers, and giving there customers up to date info of whats happening.

We are going to have the whole scenario with Sky all over again - except this time it will be BT. The customer is going to end up paying for it, so l cannot see why VM wont play ball.
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 15:33   #1837
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post
VM should be looking after there customers, and giving there customers up to date info of whats happening.

We are going to have the whole scenario with Sky all over again - except this time it will be BT. The customer is going to end up paying for it, so l cannot see why VM wont play ball.
Virgin will give updates, when there are updates.

The current situation is on www.virginmedia.com/btsport
Old 11-06-2013, 16:00   #1838
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

The June update assures you that you'll keep ESPN until the end of the current football season! Seriously, who writes this stuff?
andy_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 18:07   #1839
Doug P
Inactive

Services: Virgin Cable TV (Tivo) and Freeview
Doug P has reached the bronze age
Doug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze age

True but you cannot argue with Ben's point that there will be updates when there are updates!
Doug P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 18:24   #1840
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug P View Post
True but you cannot argue with Ben's point that there will be updates when there are updates!
I actually think that depends - if they manage a deal I'm sure they'll be shouting from the roof tips, but if they don't it'll be in their interests to keep quiet for as long as possible.
andy_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 18:36   #1841
DaMac
Inactive

Services: VM 200mb Gamer BB, 1m Motorised Satellite, Netflix 4K, Amazon Prime 4K, VM M TV, Freesat HD.
DaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant future

Why can't bt not get a slot on virgins epg, charge us, then pay VM an upkeep? If it is good enough for sky then why not us? Cable companies the world over allow local access, it doesn't seem to be too technical to do.
DaMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 20:09   #1842
bubblegun
cf.addict

Services: Virgin TV 360 Virgin 500Mb FTTP -AX86+AC86U AIMesh - O2 Mobile
bubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMac View Post
Why can't bt not get a slot on virgins epg, charge us, then pay VM an upkeep?
Virgin wouldn't want to do this as it would mean opening-up precise details of their customer base to a direct competitor which would be crazy. BT could then specifically target just those customers to switch.

Quote:
If it is good enough for sky then why not us? Cable companies the world over allow local access, it doesn't seem to be too technical to do.
I don't think that's the issue. BT will (probably) be looking for full retail value for each customer on the Virgin network like they will get on the Sky platform and I am sure Virgin have a policy of not selling channels on their platform without a certain % profit margin. So the ongoing negotiations will be over who gives up what?
bubblegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 22:21   #1843
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
If it is good enough for sky then why not us?
Have a feeling Sky wouldn't do it if they weren't forced to.
Old 11-06-2013, 22:55   #1844
coulsontom
Inactive

coulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblegun View Post
I don't think that's the issue. BT will (probably) be looking for full retail value for each customer on the Virgin network like they will get on the Sky platform and I am sure Virgin have a policy of not selling channels on their platform without a certain % profit margin. So the ongoing negotiations will be over who gives up what?
Agree. Which is why Sky sports and movies is more expensive on virgin than sky.

But virgin would be mad to charge more for BT than BT are doing on Sky platform.

They'd be better off not making anything off it, because they'd lose out elsewhere.
coulsontom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 23:48   #1845
BexTech
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media Cable TV (1TB Tivo) & Net, 120cm motorized satellite system.
BexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Have a feeling Sky wouldn't do it if they weren't forced to.
Yes, they are only forced to allow anyone who wants an EPG number to be offered one.

Sky don't own any satellites, so the broadcasters go to the satellite owners (Astra or Eutelsat) to lease capacity. (This for other members, who don't know how things work with satellite or think Sky own satellites etc)

Hence BT are bypassing Sky for everything except for EPG slots.
BexTech is offline   Reply With Quote