Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Russia has invaded Ukraine

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Russia has invaded Ukraine

Old 06-12-2022, 12:43   #2221
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
Re: Russia has invaded Ukraine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
If you can provide an example of a referendum in Russia that the citizens voted no to, the government took on board their concerns and presented revised proposals to I think you and Ian would be in agreement.
I don't think Pierre does the detail. It's the simplistic headlines that matter here.
Old 06-12-2022, 13:45   #2222
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

The irony.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 15:02   #2223
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
The irony.
Care to explain?
Old 06-12-2022, 16:07   #2224
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
You’d probably recognise it if you heard it. That Youtube video is a news report with lots of talking over, so isn’t the clearest example. Try listening to this:
You're right that tune does sound familiar, but I would not have a clue its called "Carol of the Bells". That name is not familiar at all.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 16:57   #2225
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
If you can provide an example of a referendum in Russia that the citizens voted no to, the government took on board their concerns and presented revised proposals to I think you and Ian would be in agreement.
No, because Russia wouldn't give them a referendum.

Ireland gave their people a referendum and they decided no.

But that was unacceptable to the EU, so they were told to think again, so in response to the statement
Quote:
My contention is that Irish people can make their own decisions
my point was, well, yes they can, unless they make the wrong decision.

If they had said no again do you think it would have ended there? That would have put a stop the whole European project. We didn't even get a choice to vote on it.

No, they would have gone back, again and again until they got the answer they wanted.

It's happened twice in Ireland and once in Denmark. That was the parallel I was making.

But we digress.
Old 06-12-2022, 19:06   #2226
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
No, because Russia wouldn't give them a referendum.

Ireland gave their people a referendum and they decided no.

But that was unacceptable to the EU, so they were told to think again, so in response to the statement my point was, well, yes they can, unless they make the wrong decision.

If they had said no again do you think it would have ended there? That would have put a stop the whole European project. We didn't even get a choice to vote on it.

No, they would have gone back, again and again until they got the answer they wanted.

It's happened twice in Ireland and once in Denmark. That was the parallel I was making.

But we digress.
As it seems to be via the SNP in Scotland , the minority government's in most countries use this tool to push there agenda . Nothing new
Old 06-12-2022, 19:15   #2227
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

I don’t want to diverge from the topic any further best to leave it there, before we’re told to.
Old 06-12-2022, 20:09   #2228
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Quote:
Russia-Ukraine War
Drone Attacks Hit Russia for 2nd Straight Day
https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/12...raine-war-news
Old 06-12-2022, 20:25   #2229
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
Couldn't get past a paywall.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 20:33   #2230
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Couldn't get past a paywall.
you can if you disable Java
Old 06-12-2022, 20:48   #2231
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
you can if you disable Java
Shouldn't have to disable Java. Anyway, Java isn't running on my PC.

Maybe Joglynne could post an extract, please.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 20:52   #2232
ianch99
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Shouldn't have to disable Java. Anyway, Java isn't running on my PC.

Maybe Joglynne could post an extract, please.
He means Javascript ...

Here's another article covering this: https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/russia...-war-1.6675660
Old 06-12-2022, 21:13   #2233
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Sorry about that Seph. I just went straight in via a Sky News link.

Thank you for giving an alternative source ianch99's. Your link does indeed cover the same story.
Old 07-12-2022, 23:06   #2234
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

https://time.com/person-of-the-year-...ymyr-zelensky/

https://wapo.st/3VZm91T

Quote:
Russia killed 441 civilians extrajudicially in Kyiv area early in war, U.N. finds

Russian forces killed extrajudicially at least 441 civilians outside of Kyiv, in what likely amounted to war crimes, in the first weeks of the invasion of Ukraine, the U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights said in a report released Thursday. The actual number of civilians summarily killed is likely to be “considerably higher,” the report found.

Based on investigations launched after hundreds of bodies of civilians were found following the initial Russian retreat from the Kyiv area in early April, the report documents in brutal detail the violence inflicted on Ukrainians in occupied areas around the capital.

The findings add to mounting evidence that Russian forces have targeted and summarily executed Ukrainian civilians in grave violations of international law.

Witnesses told U.N. investigators that under Russian occupation, anything perceived to constitute support for Ukrainian forces, including camouflage-patterned clothing and text message histories, became grounds for death.

Some Ukrainians were killed while in makeshift detention facilities and were found with their hands tied, gunshot wounds and injuries suggesting torture, according to the report. Other civilians were shot dead in their backyards, in convoys of cars fleeing hostilities, while on bikes or walking to find food or visit relatives.

“There are strong indications that the summary executions documented in the report constitute the war crime of willful killing,” U.N. human rights commissioner Volker Türk, said in a statement Wednesday, during a visit to Ukraine.

The report investigated extrajudicial killings in 102 villages and towns between Feb. 24, the day Russia invaded, and April 6, when its forces retreated from around Kyiv after failing to take the capital. Nearly 90 percent of the civilians killed in these cases were men, in additions 72 women, 20 boys and 8 girls, according to the U.N. findings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 3412DE5C-DC34-4C10-91CB-217887B169D2.jpeg (140.0 KB, 99 views)
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 07-12-2022 at 23:15.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2022, 20:32   #2235
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Not a good time to be a Russian Oligarch - might want to avoid staircases and windows…

https://www.news.com.au/finance/busi...a6c1387d4dfb4a

Quote:
Another Russian oligarch found dead in mysterious circumstances

A 50-year-old Russian real estate magnate has died under mysterious circumstances after suffering fatal head injuries after a suspicious fall.

Dmitry Zelenov has joined the growing list of Russian tycoons to die under mysterious circumstances since the invasion of Ukraine began.

The 50-year-old property mogul died in early December after allegedly falling down a flight of stairs during a visit with friends in the town of Antibes in the French Riviera…

… Within hours of the news of his death breaking, attention began turning to the eerie similarities between his death and that of fellow Russian tycoon Anatoly Gerashchenko, who died in September after also falling down stairs.…

… However, they are only two out of a string of bizarre deaths among Russian elites which began after Russia invaded Ukraine in February this year.

In September, the alleged “suicide” of Pavel Pchelnikov, an executive with the Digital Logistics arm of Russian Railways who had recently shared happy snaps taken on a family holiday on social media, also made headlines.

Earlier that month, Lukoil oil company chairman Ravil Maganov died after falling from a Moscow hospital window, immediately sparking rumours he may have been assassinated after his company spoke out against the war.

In May, fellow Lukoil exec Alexander Subbotin was also found dead…

… In July, the body of Yuri Voronov – the head of a transport and logistics company linked to Russian energy juggernaut Gazprom – was found in his pool, while senior Gazprom officials Alexander Tyulakov and Leonid Shulman also died earlier this year.

In April, ex-Kremlin official Vladislav Avayev died along with his wife and teenage daughter, and just days later multi-millionaire Sergey Protosenya was also found dead along with his wife and teen daughter in eerily similar circumstances.

Meanwhile, the recent death of Putin confidante Ivan Pechorin – who fell overboard from his boat – also raised suspicions, as did the deaths of uber-wealthy Yevgeny Palant and his wife.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote